"Brain Salad Surgery, baby!!"
63%

Total votes: 8

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:56 pm

Oh it's a dictatorship :D

But I am interested to see what people think. There may be technical reasons why we go one way or the other as well. If we had the time and the bit-budget on the disk I might even be open to adding both mixes. We shall see...
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

pktheater
Amateur
Amateur

Post by pktheater » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:44 pm

I can't vote because I like both equally. Rats.
Where does one purchase a witty and apropos signature?

JPE

Post by JPE » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:06 pm

Maybe you remember i asked earlier if GH have consider to released an album in the SACD format? I realy like the 24 bit sound that is much more bright and give the possibility to mix in 5.1.

If the music is recorded live i prefer the "you are there" sound. On a studioalbum you can play.... But be careful!

Regards
Janne Pettersson
Stockholm/Sweden

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:51 pm

Just so you'll know, we will probably lean toward A), "you are there", though hopefully it will have a good full in the-room feel. The logistics of the live recording plus the way it goes with the visuals seem to make that a more logical option, at least for the concert.

However, I want to do some B) mixes with some of the studio stuff. If there's time maybe a bonus cut of a remix of something from Lex Rex say, sort of like the 5.1 mix of Homeworld on Yes' HOB DVD.

We talked about an SACD/DVD-A type of release as far back as Lex Rex. Unfortunately we don't have access to that type of mastering at this point without it being a fortune. You have to license to some company willing to put it out. Regular Dolby Digital AC3 is simple though. How would you guys feel about an "album" that was a DD 5.1 regular DVD video disk with some sort of accompanying visual stuff- animation or a slide show or something?? WAY easier to do than a true DVD Audio release.

(I have thought about contacting a company like AIX about licensing for DVD-A but never have done it...)

Anyhoo, I'm pretty committed to a multi-channel future. The DVD will be our first baby steps...

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:32 am

I just managed to do a surround mix of "The High Place" from IS. WOW! This is how I heard our music all along. This is how it was meant to sound.
On the down side - the numbers aren't favorable for a band like GH. There's not a huge market for DVD music. Certainly we need to do the DVD in surround, and maybe we can do a special edition music DVD one day. But it could be a very expensive mistake if no one buys them.
Could you guys commit to buying - say 400 music DVDs apiece?
Just a thought?
8)
Steve
Last edited by MayorOfLongview on Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:58 am

hmm well let's see...no, i can't, my future salary will not be able to support such a purchase...no surround dvd for us :cry:
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

JPE

Post by JPE » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:54 am

I definitely agree in the predict that multi channel is the future. I also belive the musicbusiness need somthing new to offer in sted of filesharing on Internet. I have upgrade my HI-FI to support SACD and DVD-A. It is a very very big difference between SACD and CD. To listen to Steely Dans Gaucho and have a glas of singelmalt whiskey is a happy event.

As long as GH produce the good, wonderful, glorious music you have done so far the format or mix will be of subordinate importance.

Regards
Janne Pettersson
Stockholm/Sweden

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:53 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:Could you guys commit to buying - say 400 music DVDs apiece?
Sorry mate, I make it a rule never to buy more than 374.5 of any particular DVD... :alien:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Dennis_H

Post by Dennis_H » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:23 pm

I guess I would have to go for the 'You are there' mix if only one can be done. Give it plenty of ambience though. It would probably sound better for those that only have a 2 channel setup too. Now since DD5.1 is such a compressed format, I bet you could fit both mixes on there. Don't skimp on the bandwidth though. If you do 16x9, make it anamorphic. If you can't do anamorphic, keep it at 4x3.

On a side note, I would love for you to do a great full blown DVD-A or SACD surround mix for some of the CDs. I would be first in line and can play both formats. Yes' Fragile DVD-A is great.

AIX does a nice job with lower volume titles. That could be a great partnership.

If you need me to beta test any surround discs, I guess I could work myself up to it... :D

Dennis_H

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:41 pm

Yeah, I think we'll get off our butts and see if we can get our illustrious publicist to contact AIX. It could work out well for all concerned...

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:15 pm

except for me who only has a 2.1 system :cry:
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

Losfer Words Records

Post by Losfer Words Records » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:24 am

FredProgGH wrote:Oh it's a dictatorship :D
aha! further evidence regarding who really found the One Ring of Power, runs off in search of a tall elveny fellow with a big grey pointed hat screaming "He's come back! Sauron's come back to Middle Earth"

----

:arrow: 5.1 with instruments soaring in from all over the place

it's not real surround sound music unless at some point your are literally ducking in your Capt. Kirk commanders listening-chair from the sound of low flying moog descending behind you as if the spaceship on Bostons first LP cover had just landed in your back yard.

(good visual- huh?)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:23 am

hmm, well...

Steve/Fred I know it's been said before, but the only hopeful though I have regarding mastering is that somehow you figure out why every PC cd-rom/dvd drive that I try and rip your music to, regardless of format, has multiple issues with the last track or two.

I don't mean to gripe, but theres got to be something specific about your cds- it doesnt happen on any other cd ive ever ripped to my pc's hard drive

All i want is a clean mp3 of "heroes and dragons" from lex rex on my computer =)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:36 pm

Venividi is definately ready for surround sound:

And guess who took that fine picture? *cough*
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin