Vote for the Top Prog Album of 2005

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Aswepe

Post by Aswepe » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:47 am

I haven't heard Deadwing yet & I just got Francis The Mute - This one will take a lot of getting used to. I don't think its all that Prog. I have heard other Porcupine Tree & while its Prog-ish, its not nearly as Prog as TIS
I voted for our Heros, of course, not because this is their forum - because, of the albums on the list, I think it is the best.

I really like Pallas' The Dreams Of Men & Wobbler's Hinterland BTW, and I'm anxiously awaiting Kino's Pictures (coming in the same box as GH - Live at NEARFest).
David

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:49 am

I think Francis the Mute is a mess personally. Reminds me of some Zappa, 20% brilliance/80% unlistenable, but then I have a couple of friends who are long time proggers and they think Francis is almost the greatest thing since raisin bread. Perhaps I have cloth ears with this one. I do like their first record much better, Deloused in the Crematorium, because of course one would be deloused in the crematorium if the fires were lit, so I get that! :lol:
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

Aswepe

Post by Aswepe » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:10 am

I'm listening the Francis The Mute now. I agree with your assessment & reference to Zappa. I bought the CD based on all the chatter on a couple of other Prog boards. There are hoards of proggers out there who think this is the second coming or something. I'm way out in left field on this on. I just don't get it. First off, it ain't Prog! While it does contain a lot of melodic elements of interest, it also contains some of the most out-there melodic stuff I've ever heard. I will defend their right to write what the feel, but this stuff is -- I don't know what it is.
At this point, I've got to think I wasted my $. Perhaps it will grow on me. Probably not.
David