Tales from Earthsea

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Tales from Earthsea

Post by theHermit » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:36 pm

New anime from Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli. I believe this film is directed by Miyazaki's son and tackles books three and four in Le Guin's Earthsea cycle, The Farthest Shore and Tehanu. I love the Earthsea novels so I'm really looking forward to this. Here is a promo poster with a very cool looking dragon:

"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:13 pm

NO WAY!!! :shock: :shock:

Studio Ghilbli does Earthse! It's perfect!!

(I thought this was going to be about the awful Sci-fi network miniseries.)
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:15 pm

Thankfully no! That Sci Fi miniseries is an abomination.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:59 pm

Actually, to be perfectly honest I wouldn't be surprized if a Miyazaki adaptaion wouldn't be fairly liberal in its adherence to the source material. If there are anything like their dad it could wind up pretty far afeild of the books- but at least it should be good, not dreck like the mini-series. Of course, I could be wrong. I'm surprised to some extent they want to do an adaptation instead of an original story as they would typically do.

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:36 pm

True Fred. The last film Miyazaki did, Howl's Moving Castle, is a good case in point. If what I read is correct, I am a little surprised that there is no inclusion of The Other Wind, which I find completes Tehanu nicely.

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:43 pm

Oooo! Beautiful! :shock:

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:01 pm

Here's a translation from the Japanese from the Studio Ghibli website. I'm encouraged by this as it sounds like the filmmaker has a good understand of what magic is in Le Guin's imagined world:

Yesterday, "Gedo Senki" had its preview showing. I was amazed at
the big reaction the film has had in this morning's reviews in newspapers and magazines. But I am continuing to work on new productions without getting distracted by this event.

I am going to write about why I accepted this job of directing this
film. The main reason is that the original story was "Gedo Senki."
I first read "Gedo Senki" when I was in high school. I didn't buy the
book. It was just sitting around the house. Presently, "Gedo Senki" is in its 6th volume and there is even a supplement volume published. At the time I read it, it was the 3rd volume, "Farthest Island." The most fun book to read, however, was the first volume. The reason for this is that this is a story of a young boy struggling with his magic that he had not yet learned to use as well as with his inner struggles to mature as a person. As a young high school student myself, I identified with the hero of the story.

This time, however, upon re-reading the same story, I have discovered adifferent dimension to the story that I did not see 20 years
ago. Recently, when it comes to magical stories they are in the genre of"Maho no Sekai de Daiboken (Great Adventures in the Magic World)" or "Maho Gakko Taiketsu (Duel at the Magic School" (My note: One of these might the one of the Harry Potters stories), where magics are supernatural but in"Gedo Senki" magic used as a tool for learning about everyday matters. In the first volume, Gedo's teacher, Ojion, tells him this:

"Do you know how the roots, leaves and flowers of "eboshigusa"
(type of plant in Japanese) change with seasons? You have to learn to
identify "eboshigusa" just by seeing it quickly or just smelling it or
simply by seeing the seeds. Only then can you know the true name, its totality of existence."

In "Gedo Senki", magic is about knowing the true name of
things in nature, its true existence. This was a new and fresh discovery of the idea of magic for me.

When we speak of fantasies it's usually, "to obtain magical powers
and to experience adventure in that world." I wonder now if that is the true nature of fantasies. For example, when we see beautiful sunset we think "there's such a wondrous sight in this world, it does seem real." I think this is the true fantasy.

There's another section headed: My father was against it.

My father, Miayazaki Hayao, was not in favor of my working on the "Gedo Senki." This fact might be surprising to you but I would like to make this clear. And to be honest it's my wish to write to you over the net in the form of a diary either. Rather I would like to say, "If you want to know what I want to say, please see my work when it's completed." As a director this is all I wish, please see "Gedo Senki" without any extraneous thoughts. However, the reality is once "Gedo Senki" becomes public it'll be known as a film directed by the son of Miyazaki Hayao. In this regard the producer, Suzuki Toshio, concluded that it's important to let the public know that this is your film rather than the film made by the son of Hayao Miyazaki. In order to do that, the public would have to know who Miyazaki Goro is. After thinking about this for awhile, I have come to agree with him. I have decided to write this journal (diary?) to let you know what I am thinking as a director so that you will see this film without preconceptions. I decided to use the internet for this purpose. This is the most direct way to get in touch with you. The common rule is to let the mass communication media handle this through interview and such. I thought it's better not to go through the filtering process of the mass media which might enable me to more directly communicate my thoughts to you.

As I mentioned earlier, my father was against my working on this
project. I am not going to go into the reason for this. It will become
clear as I write about my daily experience in working as a director.

Finally, there are two reasons why I decided to direct "Gedo
Senki." First is that I have attracted by this story. Second was my
realization that I had certain opinions regarding animation that I had kept quiet from my father.

I don't want to get into the content of this movie before you see
it but there is one clear basic theme to this movie. That is, "What does
it mean to live in today's world." This is how I wish my life to be and
today's theme of this journal.

There's a short biographical note to Goro Miyazaki. It's entitled Profile.

December 13th Miyazaki Goro

Born 1967 in Tokyo. Attended Shinshu Agricultural College majoring in
Forest Engineering. Worked as a consultant for city recreational and
greening (plants) planning. Later in 1998 co-ordinator for the planning of
Mori GHibligi Art Museum and was director of the museum '01 - '05. In 2004
was awarded the Minister's Prize as an important new Contributor to the Arts.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:11 pm

theHermit wrote: As I mentioned earlier, my father was against my working on this
project. I am not going to go into the reason for this. It will become
clear as I write about my daily experience in working as a director.
Interesting. It does seem to indicate a conflict of sensibility between the two-

Osaka

Post by Osaka » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:04 pm

sweet! I love those books! (and I love Miyazaki movies :D )

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:15 pm

Mamoru Oshii (the Patlabor movies) had a great quote about Studio Ghibli. You probably know it but for the people who don't he said:

"I think Studio Ghibli is (like) the Kremlin. -laughs- The real one is long gone, but it's still sitting in the middle of the field in Higashi Koganei. But in a sense, there is a reason for its existence, meaning, I think it plays a certain role by existing."

The movies that come out of there these days may have the Miyazaki name, but not the spirit; yet I'm still glad they come out.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:26 pm

Hey! I just started reading those!! One more to go, and I love them - these books preserve fantasy with a sense of mystery and "otherness" in addition to a clear distinction between good and evil - unlike all these Forgotten Realms books just waiting to be quantified into stats so that you can replicate them in DnD sessions. Fantasy should have mystery, I think.

Anyways, I saw adds for Earthsea all over the place when I was in Japan. I should have bought a ridiculously expensive Japanese DVD of it, but I assumed it was already in America. Apparently according to copyright it won't be out here until 2009 or something...
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:05 pm

it certainly is too long delayed for an American release. Reviews in Japan have been mixed, but I would still love to see it. The novels are fantastic. I see that Amazon lists the DVD with some of their sellers and this version is in Japanese with an English dub. I'm kinda fearful of how bad the dub could be or I would order a copy as they are only at $15 dollars. Hopefully not Godzilla bad in the dubbing department.