Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

January show news

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:27 am

Read the announcement here...

http://new.rumpza.com/ghfan/gh_forum/vi ... 1961#21961

Then express your angst on this thread.... :x 8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:04 am

Well, crud.

Thanks for the update. Many forum members probably need at least a month's advance notice to fit a show into their schedules.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:06 pm

well, its good i didnt buy those tickets now... =)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:25 pm

I'm glad. You should definitely wait until it's worth it, because hearing a choir wimp out on or half fail KotN is just not the same thing as a really good choir totally nailing it... I'm excited to hear that some day, but I can wait. :)
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:23 pm

I know this sounds selfish, but I feel better now that I know I won't be missing out on another concert . . . :oops:

pktheater
Amateur
Amateur

Post by pktheater » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:27 pm

I'd held out asking for the time off until the official announcement was made. Looks like I'm still holding out. I'm sad there won't be a show in January, but hopeful something will come through in the new year. Consider two of my precious vacation days still earmarked for a GH show.
Where does one purchase a witty and apropos signature?

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:50 pm

Well, I know that I can speak for the other Chattanooga nerds in saying that we're dissapointed, and hope that it can be rescheldued. Lee University music program apparantely has a really good reputatation, so I hope that it can be worked out. The good news is that the DVD is coming along-and sounds like it will be great. Are there plans for a 5.1 surround-mix? Hope so! Hoping for lots of extras too! How about the new album? Will Walter be back? and can't wait to hear David-He is truly "Shreddy"! Can't wait!Peace from Ooltewah,David.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:46 am

5.1 - YES! We're experimenting with it now and it is sounding great. In fact, we've already sync'd some video with a couple of GH live mixes and we're happy with the results.

What we've never done however, is to compress that much video and audio to make it fit on one dvd - I mean something the size of our entire concert. I'll know more about what we're facing by the middle of next week.

:D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:28 am

So steve, is it going to be a double release in any way with SH?
Brian Nielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:15 pm

No double release. They do they're thing, we do ours. That would be horribly complicated.
They've actually recorded another concert and they'll release the two shows together - though I'm not sure when.

8)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:22 pm

As much as I love you guys, I definately would be remiss if not saying that Mimi's Magic Moment has caught my interest something fierce...
Brian Nielsen

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:08 pm

Bnielsen wrote:As much as I love you guys, I definately would be remiss if not saying that Mimi's Magic Moment has caught my interest something fierce...
It's a great album. Best I've heard in a long time! (I left my copy in the rental van coming back from the show- have to get another...) :(
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:52 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:They've actually recorded another concert and they'll release the two shows together - though I'm not sure when.
I was at the "other" concert. That was a great weekend, equipment glitches notwithstanding.

I'm very glad the Lex Live DVD has done well enough for your band that y'all decided to film another show. It can't be an inexpensive undertaking.
Bnielsen wrote:As much as I love you guys, I definately would be remiss if not saying that Mimi's Magic Moment has caught my interest something fierce...
Easy to let happen. Just as you've had the pleasure of hanging out with the GH band, Brian, I've had the pleasure of spending time with the SH guys. Great folks.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:09 am

I have to admit too-I am a big Salem Hill fan. All of the guys are super talented, but Carl Groves seems to be in the same vein as Fred, Neal Morse,Kerry Livgren, and other multi-instumentalists/songwriters/multi-talented prog stars. And to step in like he did and sing lead with GH at the Belmont show was a huge undertaking. He also popped up on a Neal Morse demo I have of a GMA show He, Neal, and Phil Keaggy did together. The guy is everywhere! Also-it was pretty cool that Randy George(Ajalon,Neal Morse)showed up in the band for the show! What a small world it is in PROG! The thing I really love about SH is their variety-they don't really have a signature sound-but all of all their albums are cohesive and stand on their own. For instance,"Be" is very ecclectic, moody, and more pessimistic where "Mimi's magic moment" is very bright,optimistic, and single-minded."Robbery of Murder" is so emotional-where the storyline almost overpowers the music, and "Not Everybody's Gold" is a little bit of everything with some of their better shorter songs. They are all totally different from each other and stand on their own. Their songwriting is definetely some of the best in PROG!!!Not bad for a bunch of Tennessee hicks! I am anticipating thier DVD also!

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:07 am

The funny thing with Mimi´s Magic Moment is that is one of very few Progrock Cd´s that my wife likes.
The world is smaller than you think!