First show!

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

First show!

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:49 am

This is it, the first show is today at Guido's NY Pizzeria. I hope every one will have a good time. And I'm sure that the performance will be great. I expect a report!

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:01 am

Agreed, I'm dying to hear a report!

April

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Show Report

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:42 am

:) After having witnessed the recent Nashville performance of the progressive
rock band Glass Hammer, I can recommend the experience with the utmost
conviction. For anyone with the slightest affinity for the orchestral rock
of Yes or Kansas, with its intricate keyboard work, complex yet driving
rhythms, searing guitar, and rich harmonies, this is must-hear music.

These performances are a rare treat, since the music of Glass Hammer has
been exhibited nearly exclusively through their studio projects, created
under the leadership of chief band members and producers Steve Babb and Fred
Schendel in their Chattanooga facility, Sound Resources.

Lex Rex, the group's latest release, contains "screaming Hammond and Moog
solos, soaring steel guitar leads, lush beds of Mellotrons" and more, and
tells the "epic tale" of a "Roman soldier, beset by ancient gods and
goddesses" on a spiritual quest. Fortunately the band has the talent to
back up their ambitious musical vision.

Evident in nearly all of the music of Glass Hammer is the influence of "Lord
of the Rings" author J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis (Narnia Chronicles, Mere
Christianity), and other literary and spiritual heroes of Babb and Schendel.

On "The Middle Earth Album" they go so far as to assume the persona of the
merry band that might have frequented the Prancing Pony, the pub in the land
of Hobbits. This album features songs-aplenty about the adventures of
dwarves, elves and halflings, done "live" in the style and feel of the
period. The music is authentic enough to have garnered Glass Hammer massive
Internet sales and an invitation to events such as this year's "Gathering of
the Fellowship" in Toronto.

The band will be doing just a couple of shows in the South in preparation
for their June 29 performance at NEARfest, the prog-rock festival in New
Jersey. Except for the later Toronto performance, the band has confirmed
no live dates that they're telling me about--see them while you can!

Grace & Peace,
Mark Hall
www.MarkMusicMatters.com
:)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

The Guidos Show

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:49 am

CanarioAB wrote:Agreed, I'm dying to hear a report!

April
Hello,
Based on audience response, the show was a big hit. Eight of us crammed into a tiny space, and did the show mere inches away from the front row of fans. The club was very tiny, but packed with GH fans, and folk who are heading to NEARfest soon.
The band had a blast. And Bethany Warren (Susie's little sister - age 17) was added to the official line-up for NEARfest. (Samwise - you two should meet for sure!)
After a lengthy load-out, we headed back to Chattanooga and Knoxville, except for Matt who lives in Nashville. All day Sunday was spent resting or I would have written sooner. As it stands, I still don't feel like I've caught up on my sleep!
Lots of fun! And we're that much closer to NEARfest!
I'll post some pics soon.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:04 am

Great news!! Will be anxious to hear more.
April

pktheater
Amateur
Amateur

Post by pktheater » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:26 am

As a member of the Nashville audience, I can say that the evening was a wonderful experience. The last time I saw Glass Hammer live was a Dragon*Con many years ago. They did music from Perelandria and Journey of the Dunadain.

There is something wonderful about seeing a band you love in such divergent venues. The Nashville show was small and intimate. At the back of the room, I was still so close as to feel totally a part of the show. My view was of the beautiful sisters Susie and Bethany, with a smiling Steve standing just behind them.

The music was wonderful, representing everything I love about Glass Hammer's work. I had only heard <i>One King</i> from the new album, but I found all the songs wonderful and accessible. I will be ordering the new album this next payday and look forward to wearing it out.

If it had not been mentioned, I would never have believed that five years had passed since the last live Glass Hammer show. As I posted in my blog, that Saturday night was nearly perfect for me and one of the best times I've had in many, many months. It was nice to see the band again, both the members I've personally met and the new members of the line-up. Oh, and Bethany... Congrats on your graduation. Bon chance, ma cheri. Et, bon chance, mes amies, Glass Hammer.

PKTheater ~ Darrell ~ Owein Merricke

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Guido's show stuff from my perspective. : D

Post by EIwing » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:22 pm

Bethany Warren (Susie's little sister - age 17)

Steve, I'm 18. :(
But that doesn't matter! :D
Anyway, my first official Glass Hammer show was a blast. It was such a blessing to see people truly enjoying the music born from the minds of geniuses, Steve and Fred! The venue was intimate, the pizza was fantastic, and the fans were awesome. Tres bon temps! Thank you all who came to see the amazing band that is Glass Hammer (it's still unreal to be considered a part of it!)And thank you PK. :D Oh, I also need to thank a certain host for his generosity in opening his house for us to relax a bit before the show. Thank you! I've nothing left to say except that I can't wait until the next show!
Who do you think I'll be without you?

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:02 pm

Hey Bethany,

Welcome to this forum! All the pleasure is mine. By hosting the GH forum I feel in a way a little implicated with the band.
It's really too bad I can't come and see any Glass Hammer live performances. I live too far away from you guys :bawling: But I hope to see some pictures or maybe a video if there's one to come in the future. Anyway, I really hope I'll see you all for real some day! I hope you'll still enjoy your work with Glass Hammer in the future.

Congratulations for your graduation!

Lania

PS: Parlez vous français??? Moi aussi! (je suis française!)

Scoutdad

Post by Scoutdad » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:48 pm

As one of the many (32!) fans at the show, all I can say is:

AWESOME!!!

:D

My wife and I were sitting in the front row (well actually, the whole place was the front row...), almost in Fred's lap. The band rocked!

Fred's flying fingers were amazing. I've never been able to sit htat close to the magic and see what the keyboardist really does.

Walt's guitar playing was incredible. He's a great front man, but he seemed to need more room to move around in.

Steve semed to be having a ball (as did everyone). He was really getting into the show.

The new drummer, Mat - Wow. I think my internal organs were vibrating to the beat of his drum solo 30 minutes after the show ended.

Even Eric's acoustic guitar playing was terrific. I've never heard an acoustic guitar played live, with that many electric instruments - and still be audible.

And my favorite, the girls. Bethany, Susie, and Flo were the highlight, well one of... no; three of the highlights of the show. While the small size of the room led to the instruments over-powering the lyrics, the girls really projected a positive image. They sanf their hearts out, even though it was hard to here them.

Whats was even betterthan the show, was the band members spending the hour between the door opening and the show start; in the audience talking to the fans. That was a trip. I've never been spoken to by a band member before, much less had them all come by one-by-one, shake my hand, speak to me, and then - thank me for coming to the show.

then, to really put the icing on the cake, EVERYONE in the band qutographed my copy of Lex Rex.

My wife and I enjoyed the show so much that on the 19th, we'll be in Chattanooga to see them once more.

Keep up the great job

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:49 am

Thank you Lania!
Je parle francais (tres mal!), un peu. Encore un fois (I think), je suis casse (again, I think. Madonna lyrics [don't stone me, please!]). That, and sac le bleu! And "je tombe pour toi" (Fleming and John line!), if I did that correctly. Who knows.
"J'adore du fromage!" Anyway.
I think that GH should travel to you so you can have a special show all your own! That would be awesome. :D
z_z Must have sleep!
Who do you think I'll be without you?

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:52 pm

Well, the thread is entitled "First Show!" Doesn't specify whether it's a first show that was, or a first show that is to be.

I made note of the mention on the news page, about the show scheduled for Sept. 22 at Rhythm and Brews. A Monday. Good. I'll be able to make the drive up from Atlanta to attend. Never have had the pleasure of taking in a GH show before.

Funny thing, tho--R&B makes no mention of the show on their online September calendar. I've emailed them asking for confirmation.

johnc

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:07 pm

Welcome to the forum!

You'll have lots of fun at the show, I'm sure. I only wish I could see it! ...Only, that's a 23 hour drive for me, and I'll miss several days of school, and I did already get to see them at NEARfest, so I'm guessing I won't be there. :-p So be sure to tell us all about it. If you take pictures, I would love to put them up on my site!
:D
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:01 pm

sys-ex wrote:
It's really too bad I can't come and see any Glass Hammer live performances. I live too far away from you guys :bawling:
Hi, sys-ex.

Here's a quote from an article that appeared in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, on June 15 last year:

KANSAS IN GEORGIA
Here's a geographical riddle for you. Fans from as far away as Australia and Japan are expected in town today to see a band called Kansas that's been based in the metro Atlanta area for more than two decades. Why? Well, the pop-rock outfit, formed in Topeka, is shooting its first DVD at sold-out Earthlink Live. The mid-six-figure production, titled "Device Voice Drum," will have "four or five solid thing in the show that people probably would never expect Kansas to do or haven't seen us do in a long time," promised drummer Phil Ehart, a longtime Jonesboro resident. [We] would suspect that that list of surprises wouldn't include doing late-70s hits like "Dust In The Wind" and "Carry On Wayward Son." The DVD is due in stores Oct. 8.

Get a load of that. Australia? Japan? No, you didn't misread it. I had the immense pleasure of being a part of Kansas fan heaven that weekend, and met Tony from Australia, the three guys from Japan (I'd embarrass myself if I tried to pronounce their names), David from Spain and his son, another guy from Chile...

...you get the picture. I must've met folks who'd driven, or flown, in from thirty different states that weekend, as well as the folks who'd flown in from overseas. Aside from the cost of purchasing a Golden Circle ticket (a--gulp--$250 premium over the $50 regular ticket), their travel costs may well have gone way into four figures. (It should be noted that not all those who traveled so far sprang loose the funds for the Golden Circle seats and associated benefits.)

And if you asked any of 'em if they'd do it all over again, I have the feeling they'd say yes without reservation. These travelers made a conscious decision that it would be worth every penny (yen--pound--whatever--choose-your-currency) to see their favorite band in a very intimate atmosphere (some people had seats on the stage, if you can believe that), and spend a weekend with other fans that are as rabid as they are. Kansas attracts fans like these. Glass Hammer appears to do so as well.

My point? You're only as far away as you think you are. And if that sounds like the old saw "you're only as old as you feel", the similarity is intentional. Traveling is quite straightforward, if potentially pricey. I myself didn't even have to "travel" to Earthlink Live (it's a half-hour's drive from here) and still spent way into four figures that weekend...but that's another story. I wanted that badly to be a part of that weekend's events. The travelers wanted it that badly.

I tell this story not to attempt to depress you, but rather to inspire you. GH is playing in Chattanooga on Sept. 22. I intend to attend; I think I'll have a ball. The band doesn't play all that many gigs; this is a rare opportunity. Will you join us? Remember the oracle's words, from Nike, the Greek goddess of victory and lumpy athletic shoes:

Just do it.

Make the decision to attend. And once you do, just make the arrangements.

Perhaps you're thinking, "easy for you to say, JC. Atlanta's just a couple hours' drive from Chattanooga."

I'll be seeing Kansas in Topeka on Oct. 11, and Salem Hill in NJ on Oct. 18. Yep. Airfare's gonna be pricey, as are hotel/transportation arrangements. So, yes, I do know how you feel. Imagine if Frodo had said to Elrond, "Mordor's so far away. I can't travel that distance."

(No offense intended, folks!!)

johnc

bb
Amateur
Amateur

Airfare

Post by bb » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:21 pm

Air travel can be surprisingly inexpensive. You just need to be
persistent. Don't simply believe travelocity or expedia, look at
orbitz and qixo and cheaptickets too, and then try the individual
airline sites. And then call. The only route I've met with absolutely
no pricing flexibility has been Pgh-Ottawa which costs $1060
no matter when or how you fly...! (I guess there's a reason that
Ottawa's airport code is YOW.)
Take advantage of the Saturday night stay, alternate airports, and
strange routings, and you can often fly for $300 or less. Not peanuts,
but within reach of most people, I should think.

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:57 am

If I quote myself, is it plagiarism? lol
johnc wrote:Funny thing, tho--R&B makes no mention of the show on their online September calendar. I've emailed them asking for confirmation.
Finally received an email from Rhythm and Brews five days ago. Mike Dougher confirms that the show will go on as scheduled, and their online calendar now has the gig listed. Doesn't show a ticket price yet, but no show listed on the calendar costs more then $15. You can purchase e-tix in advance too. Looking good.

johnc