General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

bb
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bb » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:43 pm

esteban wrote:Fondly? :shock:
(referring to TOPS-10)
I meant, from the inside. I certainly didn't care about the user's experience!

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:51 pm

You know you're old when you've got underwear that's older than some of your co-workers.

Hey! They're very comfortable, OK? :oops:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:35 pm

Yes, I fondly look back on some of the 1980's. It wasn't all bad. In terms of entertainment, it was the decade of Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Trek 2 & 4, Field of Dreams and the Terminator. For TV there was Cheers and the return of Star Trek. Even in music, the likes of Rush, Saga, Pink Floyd, Chick Corea Elekric Band, Jethro Tull, the return of Yes to prominence and for us headbangers, Iron Maiden and the very first album by Dream Theater. The Compact Disc came out then as well. And I should probably leave politics out of this, but you can't talk about the 80's without mentioning President Reagan. I was a dumb liberal back then and didn't appreciate him. All in all, there was a lot to like about that decade if you look hard enough. I'm sure some older ones here look fondly on the 70's, at least in terms of music. But that was also the decade of disco and punk, and of course those lovely leisure suits!
And now for something completly different...

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:13 pm

How well put-the 80's really was diverse-some of the worst and some of the best in Music,TV, movies, all of culture. The 70's are the most interesting to me though-you definetely have the Best in the early/mid 70's=Yes,Genesis,ELP,(early)Elton John,James Taylor,CCN&Y,Rush,UFO,Frampton(comes alive),Grand Funk,Triumph,(early)Scorpions,Michael Schenker,(early)Chicago,Al Dimeola,Gentle Giant,Peter Gabriel,(early)Journey),early Judas Priest,Roxy Music,King Crimson,etc.,etc. And then there's the worst=All Disco, All BeeGees, Rolling Stones,Springsteen,(most)Billy Joel,Bob Seger,(most)Aerosmith,later Elton John,later Frampton,Boston, Foreigner,later Journey,Kiss,AC/DC, most all of the Hair Bands that started in the 70's, later Judas Priest,Kenny Rogers,etc.,etc. Nitice how many bands and artists I seemed to love at the beginning of the 70's and hated at the end of the 70's and later!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:24 pm

when you remember todays classics as hits. :wink:
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

JPE

Post by JPE » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:03 am

You know you're old when...... you woke up two houre before alarm clock and feel alert.

...hehe
GH-fan, male, swede, lazy...

pktheater
Amateur
Amateur

Post by pktheater » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:08 pm

You know you are getting old when you card someone at a party and the year they were born was the year you graduated high school.

You know you are getting old when you've had hobbies longer than some of your friends have been alive.

You know you are getting old when events you experienced first hand are now taught in high school history classes.
Where does one purchase a witty and apropos signature?

bb
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bb » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:32 pm

pktheater wrote:You know you are getting old when you card someone at a party and the year they were born was the year you graduated high school.
Amen to that. I never felt the slightest bit old, until the day when I hired someone who wasn't born yet when I started working.

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:44 am

Anyone else here own Carl Groves' solo CD "Branch Upon The Ground"? A song therein, entitled "Pompous B*st*rds," is a dialogue between his generation and the one following. He was merely in his mid-30s when he wrote it, but in the liner notes he writes, "I never thought I'd feel old, but it's happened."

The most obvious sign I'm feeling old is the mild aches in a couple of joints.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:54 pm

johnc wrote: The most obvious sign I'm feeling old is the mild aches in a couple of joints.
What do you mean mild???
And now for something completly different...

mflorio
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mflorio » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:48 pm

When you think 'Emo' means Keith Emerson.
http://www.massdream.com

mflorio
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mflorio » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:06 pm

Here's another :

When you scan the local musician's classifieds and every band lists influences that you never even heard of !
http://www.massdream.com