American Idol

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

American Idol

Post by Reepicheep » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:28 am

I've been obsessed every year, except the Rueben/Clay season.
Yes, of course it's lame a lot of the time, and it's pop music, but I'm incredibly hooked.

Some things I've noticed:

1. Paula must be on drugs. It's like she has a Boggle game full of words instead of letters, and shakes it up before putting her sentences together.
Josh and I joke that pretty soon when she opens her mouth, all that will come out will be
"I'm Paula Abdul, Paula Abdul, Paula Abdul, Paula Abdul, Paula Abdul, Paula Abdul, Paula Abdul, Paula Abdul, Paula Paula Paula."
Yes, she's crazy. She's been doing these crazy eye movements and stuttering. It's getting pretty awesome.

2. Randy makes a little more sense than Paula, but still, mostly all he can say is "Yo, Dog, your in my dogpound dog, yo."

3. I agree with what Simon says, 90% of the time.

4. I really like the gray haired guy from Alabama.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 am

Flo, I'm sorry but your post tonight was just apalling. That may work out in the boonies but if you are to post on this forum every thought must frankly be exceptional and tonight I didn't feel you were giving what it takes to really be in the big leauges. Frankly I can't imagine that I will even remember your post later on tonight.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:05 am

Just kidding! :twisted:

I agree with you totally. I think Travis is great- he just needs to be himself. He could hang with Bonnie Raitt- he's the most natural guy ever on the show. And the dude that sang the really hard stevie Wonder song tonight was great. And the Buckwheat-looking guy has soul. The rest are forgettable. Didn't see the girls last night.

And I bet Paula IS on drugs. She just repeats whatever Randy says now.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:42 am

My other thoughts on American Idle notwithstanding, Randy rocks. Coz he's a bass player. :)
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:28 am

FredProgGH wrote:Flo, I'm sorry but your post tonight was just apalling. That may work out in the boonies but if you are to post on this forum every thought must frankly be exceptional and tonight I didn't feel you were giving what it takes to really be in the big leauges. Frankly I can't imagine that I will even remember your post later on tonight.
LOL!!!
I didn't watch the girls last night either. I had to make sure Sera was in bed by 9, so I could watch Scrubs. Scrubs and American Idol. I may not watch much TV, but when I do, I get obsessed. So, I guess in a way, it's good that Arrested got cancelled, or I'd be watching a lot of tv.

John,
I actually have to agree with you about Randy, anyone who toured with Journey can't be all that bad

:D
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:01 am

I've only seen a little bit of it so far this year-Is Travis the permaturely grey dude that sang "Levon" last week. I was totally not impressed with that rendition, but I heard he's alot better than that. I did notice that Randy seems to be saying "dude" instead of "Dog" more this season. And I've always agreed with Simon more than the others! Paula's so drugged she loves everybody!!! The women seem to be stronger overall this year so far. The one black girl with short hair is really good-but I've only seen her once.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:10 am

I'm starting to think that the 3 judges are merely characters on a stage. Because Simon is right almost 90% of the time, and as much as the audience boo's and as much as the other two talk over him as soon as he starts - America usually votes with Simon. Some of Randy and Paula's comments are just not based in reality, and Simons (though often rude) are totally real. I'm just a little suspicious that the whole thing is just 'entertainment'. It works of course, and they've figured out what parts they play.
Anyone else feel that way?
Example: The Chicken Little guy....just like Paula and Randay say - he's likable. But they applaud him and encourage him when the truth is what Simon says - "If you heard the track on the radio, you'd turn it off." That should've been obvious to anyone - especially two seasoned Idol judges.
Of course, I'm always looking for a conspiracy!
:oops:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:14 am

It really doesn't seem like the judges can sing, although it would make sense that they do. That would be interesting to have them sing.
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:26 am

Are you kidding?, Paula is an awesome singer!!!!And Randy could play bass-He played for Journey, so He must ROCK, and Simon-well, I don't know?
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:28 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:Are you kidding?, Paula is an awesome singer!!!!And Randy could play bass-He played for Journey, so He must ROCK, and Simon-well, I don't know?
Actually Randy was known as a pretty decent musician. and as we all know with Paula Abdul, when it came to singing, she was a pretty good dancer... :roll:

I have to admit I have never watched the show. I almost feel like I would be forever "unclean" watching something like this. That, and I really do believe its all a setup. I'm still waiting for the whole "reallity TV" thing to die.
And now for something completly different...

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:10 pm

Unfortuanetly you'll be waiting for awhile. I too feel unclean when I watch some of this garbage-but I don't watch much. the only one I'm hooked on is Amazing Race.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:01 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:Unfortuanetly you'll be waiting for awhile. I too feel unclean when I watch some of this garbage-but I don't watch much. the only one I'm hooked on is Amazing Race.
I'm hooked on that too. And 24, and Lost of course.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:42 pm

I onced watched a couple of Amazing Race episodes, I thought they were okay. I also started watching Lost sometime last year, but I stopped watching it and.... lost track of the plot.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:14 pm

I used to watch 24, but it aggrevates me too much when I miss one show-and the whole season is blown. I rented the first season of LOST and I really enjoyed it, but I've heard it's really gotten hokey lately. The best way to watch alot of these(for me anyway)is to rent them(at Hollywood video with my MVP card) and watch em continuosly late at night at work. I don't get to watch TV at home much if at all.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:18 pm

Ok. I just saw the commercial for the BEST new reality show on FOX! It's called UNAMINOUS(excuse my sp.)-they will lock nine people underground-and they all have to convince each other to give the 1.5 million prize money to them. They can lie, cheat, whatever it takes(what a stretch for reality shows huh?). Can't wait!!!!!