GH cover song

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

GH cover song

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:09 pm

Just curious if the guys have entertained thoughts on doing any classic prog covers in the near future. I know you've done the one Camel song, and Longer(which of course isn't prog-but was given a great prog overhaul). Any chance of ever hearing a Yes,Genesis,Gentle Giant,ELP,etc. classic from you guys? and what do the fans think? How about Sound Chaser?(HeHe).
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:23 am

We talked about doing Going For The One at the Tivoli show, but we'll probably chicken out! lol :oops:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:22 am

ACK!!!!

Don't chicken out! That would be Freaking awesome!

(thinks.....Hmm...words of support or threats about wearing the shirt everyday til the concert)
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:30 am

Just have the defibrillator ready for Elric,Robjob, and me!!!! That would be toooooooo incredible!!!Fred could definetely do Steve's slide justice. JUST DO IT!!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

JPE

Post by JPE » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:23 am

Going For The One should definitely fit in a GH song set. May i suggest that you also consider: Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (Genesis), Turn It on Again (Genesis), Lords of the Ring (Styx), Can I Tell You (Kansas), In the Lap of the Gods (Queen)?
GH-fan, male, swede, lazy...

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:37 am

Yeah, but if you're doing Yes, who's going to wear the tight underpants? How else are you going to hit those notes?

If we're throwing suggestions around, I'll take "Cinema Show" please :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:09 am

I used to really love Cinema Show. Haven't heard it in awhile. I still have my spandex in the attic, and at least one pair is golden and has black fringe. Might be a little too tight now. :oops:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:36 pm

At least you could sing like Jon Andeson Then..... :P
The world is smaller than you think!

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:10 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:I used to really love Cinema Show. Haven't heard it in awhile. I still have my spandex in the attic, and at least one pair is golden and has black fringe. Might be a little too tight now. :oops:
I dares ya! :lol:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:08 am

I think the topic came up a while ago here, but I will more or less reiterate what I said then.

I think if Glass Hammer were to record another cover they should more or less follow the formula for Longer. Take a song with a strong melody and a fairly standard song structure and then turn it into a Glass Hammer song by messing with the structure. The guiding principle should be "Which song can we give a different slant on and improve in the process?"

For live purposes the guiding principle should be "What would be really fun to do?" I think "Going for the One" would be really fun. So would "Itsy butsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini" and "Ride of the Valkyries" (which is possibly the only thing those two pieces of music have in common).
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Geophysicist

Post by Geophysicist » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:56 pm

Alatar wrote: For live purposes the guiding principle should be "What would be really fun to do?" ... "Ride of the Valkyries"
Inspired choice! The Glass Hammer treatment would be superb. And it would lend itself very nicely to an icing of shred guitar...
If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it.
(An old geologist's saw)

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:01 pm

's.
Geophysicist wrote:
Alatar wrote: For live purposes the guiding principle should be "What would be really fun to do?" ... "Ride of the Valkyries"
Inspired choice! The Glass Hammer treatment would be superb. And it would lend itself very nicely to an icing of shred guitar...
Mastermind did this back in the mid 90's.
And now for something completly different...

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:35 pm

yyzmoose wrote:'s.
Geophysicist wrote:
Mastermind did this back in the mid 90's.
Yes they did, and we'll leave it at that :D :D
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:11 pm

FredProgGH wrote:
yyzmoose wrote:'s.
Geophysicist wrote: Mastermind did this back in the mid 90's.
Yes they did, and we'll leave it at that :D :D
No we wont, I happened to enjoy their rendition. Very good album too, if you skip the vocal tracks...
And now for something completly different...

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:43 pm

I don't mean that I don't like the way they did it, just that it means there's no need to do it again. They took about the only logical approach to the piece...
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]