Academy Awards, how long until you bricked your TV??

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Academy Awards, how long until you bricked your TV??

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:01 pm

I'm seven minutes in and still going but I'm holding the brick in my hand...
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:07 pm

21 minutes!! Gotta go to Walmart and buy a new TV set!! The old one has a brick in it!!

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:38 am

Behold, ladies and gentlemen, Fred's masochistic streak peeking through his civilized façade. :lol: Xebo and Pooter must have enjoyed watching you sitting there, your face turning eight different shades of outraged chartreuse, teeth grinding.

I watched "The Core" on FX. It was more believable than thinking "Brokeback Mountain" could even get nominated for Best Picture.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:53 am

Well, I had no ideas the Oscars were today - I was planning on watching Vampire Hunter D with some friends, but then my roomate came in and turned on the TV and I realized that wasn't happening. So I'm sitting there trying to do my homework and these annoying starts are babbling on in the background... just when it started to get on my nerves, I went out with a friend and played in the snow. (There's finally snow here. It's a little late, but we'll take it.) That was much more interesting than watching boring people babble on about movies I didn't see. Wait, I did see Crash and Narnia. That was it for this year. :-p

Although Ben Stiller's invisible CG was awesome.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:06 am

Well, it seems Wallace And Grommit won- that's cool. Brokeback Mnt. won best score- someone who had only played guitar for three days could have written that. The guy didn't even orchestrate it himself.

Oh, and it looks like March Of The Penguins won too. That was great.

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:04 am

I like the Olympics better than the Oscars.
That's not saying a whole lot though.
Oscars=boring.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

Bogatyr
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Bogatyr » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:17 am

Eh. Watched "The Jim Elliot Story" with our young. Who cares about those Hollywood poopieheads anyway?
Wheee!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:56 pm

I checked to see after it was over who won, and thats it, except for about 5min. when I actually saw Narnia win for make-up, and they showed how they turned the actor into tumnus-pretty cool. I'm so glad "Crash" won. A very good movie-a little over the top at times, but one of the most well-acted movie in years. The only othe won nominated for best movie I saw was Munich-which was very good also, but not Oscar worthy, But then are any of them anymore? Just so glad Brokeback didn't win. And I was really glad Reese won-Hers and Jauqin's performances in Walk the Line were great-and they both sang all of their parts. And why hasn't Trevor Rabin been nominated for a musical score yet/ his are as good as anyones!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:09 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Well, it seems Wallace And Grommit won- that's cool. Brokeback Mnt. won best score- someone who had only played guitar for three days could have written that. The guy didn't even orchestrate it himself.

Oh, and it looks like March Of The Penguins won too. That was great.
I saw March of the Penguins, didn't care for it. To me it was just an average documentary, not any better than most of what is on Animal Planet or Discovery Channel. I went with 2 of my nieces, ages 8 and 5, and they were bored to death. Am I missing something here?

I skipped the oscars, but I'm thrilled that "cowboy" movie didn't win. John Wayne just breathed a major sigh of relief, and can go back to resting in peace. I guess I will eventually rent "Crash", but the others don't interest me a bit. I only get interested in the Oscars if there is something I have a rooting interest in, like the LOTR movies.
And now for something completly different...

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:29 am

Just bought the new Harry potter DVD. I think this is my favorite-they've had to grow on me. Definitely not for young kids-or ANY of my kids probably. Very intense and dark at the end! Good movie though-has very dark and very light moments-and very cool CGI! Can't wait til april4th-Narnia on DVD!!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:31 am

We didn't care too much for March of the Penguins-interesting-but hard to hold anybody's interest for 90min.,much less young kids.Way too much hype on that one!

Bogatyr
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Bogatyr » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:58 am

My li'l ones loved March of the Penguins. Ages 2 and 4, and they ask to watch it pretty frequently. Granted, it does seem like nothing more than your average Discovery Channel/National Geographic doco, but the harshness of the conditions for the birds as well as the filmmakers make it more of an adventure. My 2 yr old boy especially likes the Bugs Bunny cartoon and the fact that the grey stuff on the ice is actually droppings. Go figure!
Wheee!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:29 pm

Dudes! CUTE FUZZY BABY PENGUINS!! Come on!!

Btw, I just watched Miyazaki's My Neighbour Totoro for the first time last night. It's the cutest, wholesomest most non-cynical sweetest movie I've ever seen. That I actually really enjoyed, that is, and didn't run screaming for the bathroom to vomit. It's really good. Probably a tie for his best film in fact.

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:29 pm

I think a big CONGRATULATIONS! is necessary.

Fred has seen Totoro! Sweeeet

Yea... one of the best animes ever. Ya gotta love Catbus.
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:39 pm

So, has anyone watched Howl's Moving Castle yet?? A freind of mine who's a huge Miyazaki fan HATES it- thinks it's the worst film he's made. Which is disturbing. I still plan to see for myself. But he also doesn't think Castle In The Sky is one of his better movies and I do. He may just have a problem with castles.

(So how did this go from Academy Awards to anime-- AGAIN! :P )