General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Check it- new Bjork movie!

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:11 am

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independe ... 9/trailer/

"The core idea of Drawing Restraint 9 is the relationship between self-imposed resistance and creativity, a theme it symbolically tracks through the construction and transformation of a vast sculpture of liquid Vaseline, called “The Field”, which is molded, poured, bisected and reformed on the deck of the ship over the course of the film."

That's the sort of pretentiousness that normally makes my naughty bits retreat back up into my abdominal cavity, but I have to say the trailer looks intriguing and I usually have a high tolerance for arty nonsense that Bjork is involved in. So this might be worth a look. The trailer is gorgeous- I'm guessing 24P video, not film. Have to look on imDb.

It must SO rock to be Bjork.

You: "Hey Bjork, wanna come over next week and play X-box??"
Bjork: "I can't- I'm going on an expidition to explore the relationship between self-imposed resistance and creativity, a theme we'll symbolically track through the construction and transformation of a vast sculpture of liquid Vaseline, called “The Field”, which will be molded, poured, bisected and reformed on the deck of a ship. For a movie."
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:33 am

Bjork is as mad as a goose on stilts.

I'm waiting for her interpretation of Rational Humanism in Confined Spaces called "Why I Thumped A Reporter In An Airport Arrivals Lounge - Contextual Applied Violence With Raspberries"

:shock:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Bogatyr
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Bogatyr » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:50 am

Thank you both. I just wet meself.
Wheee!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:26 pm

Gotta love her. If she sucked it would be different, but she rocks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:19 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:Gotta love her. If she sucked it would be different, but she rocks.
Exactly.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:17 pm

Okay-I've heard ya'll go on and on about Bjork-where would you suggest I start with her stuff?
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:04 pm

For a prog fan, probably Vespertine. The previous one, Homogenic is also very cool. The second album, Post, has a few very good songs with a slightly more commercial feel and a few forgettable ones. Debut I'd not bother with. I can't comment on her latest album- haven't heard it.

Oh, you know what- SelmaSongs, the soundtrack album for Dancer In The Dark is very good and also a bit more accessible- might be a good one to start with. In fact, you could just try renting Dancer In The Dark from Blockbuster (or a less evil video rental store :twisted: )

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:28 pm

I'm a sucker for films that put a lot into the cinematography
and such, as long as they keep the vomiting and such to a
minimum. These artists with their juxtapositions of beauty
and disturbing images!

Still, may be good for a GHFAN night at the Rave, if such a
film actually were shown in these parts ;^)
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:12 am

I got "Homogenic live" yesterday-all Circuit City had. Only listened to it once all the way thru. How long does it take to get used to her and know if you're gonna like her or not. Her voice is unique to say the least-I don't think I've ever heard a voice used like an instrument to that exterme before-at least in pop. I don't care for electonica usually,so that will take some getting used to-the strings are very nice though. I also got Coheed and Cambria thanks to Shreddy's reccomendation-what a combo!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:51 pm

OK-ones I like so far-Human Behavior, Joga, and Bachlorette. When her voice is forefront with classical string backing its much better than the electronica/voice blend mix on most of the other songs. Overall-very strange stuff-I'll either grow to love it, or it will slowly fade away into something I really have to be in the mood for.

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:19 pm

Bachelorette is my all time favorite song. I looove it.

I think her greatest hits album is a pretty good flavor of all her albums, but homogenic is great too.
Who do you think I'll be without you?

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:13 pm

I got post the other day and am slowly getting into it. I like everything ok except last 2 songs.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:42 pm

Actually, Bachelorette may be my favorite Bjork song too, that and Jorga- Interesting. It's DEFINITELY her coolest video. OK, and the title song for Dancer In The Dark (what's it called??). THREE- three favorite songs. And that one on Vespertine- FOUR! Amongst my favorite Bjork songs are such diverse pieces as oh hang it, I'll come in again.

Bogatyr
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Bogatyr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:19 pm

NIIIICE one Freddo
Wheee!