NEARFest

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

NEARFest

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:34 pm

:!: I don't know about you all, but i CANT WAIT for this weekend =)

Brian Nielsen

www.ngmweb.com/kansas

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:16 pm

lol, ditto :D by the way I really like your avatar, that is cool!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:27 pm

I'M SO EXCITED! :cackle: Everyone make sure to take lots of pictures and send them in to me at webmaster@ghfan.net!
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:38 pm

Since I won't be there, I count on you guys to take pictures and post reports! I want to know every thing!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:46 am

WOW!!!!! ok, i'm writing this from a laptop in my hotel in N J at 1:40 AM (the last band, Camel, didn't start until ten minutes after it was scheduled to be over), and I just have to say that seeing Glass Hammer live was INCREDIBLE!!! I have some awesome pictures for "y'all" so come on over to my website when i get home and get all rested up; when i'm not "tahred" anymore i'll post them all. I have 135 photos and then some movie clips, so yeah. Good stuff in store. Dude, I'm stoked, bro. It was a good 'ern. (obviously i've been hanging out around these guys for too long... :lol:... is that possible? too long? lol) GLASS HAMMER RULES!!! CUIO ANNAN HELED DRING!!!

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

NEARFest view from a Glass Hammer perspective

Post by EIwing » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:45 pm

Well...
I shall start with the departure of the band on Friday morning, 7:00-ish. We all piled into various vehicles, and headed towards NJ with positive attitudes and sleepy eyes. Between the starting point and destination, we played Mad-Libs, read, watched FotR on Flo's laptop (and Simpsons!), made several stops on the way, then finally got there! Some shinanigins on the part of the hotel occured, no biggie! and then somewhere in the wee hours of the morning we got to sleep.
...Only to rise quite early into our snooze for a fun day of booth stuff and listening to bands! The fans were so fun; it was quite difficult to relate to them that we were just normal folk from the backwoods. :) Anyhoo. It was a blast and the bands I got to see were great. We got to meet Stephanie! What a cool chick.
Then the second day - the big proverbial fifteen minutes of fame on the beautiful stage.
Who knew that a GH sound check would take almost an hour? :D Eh. So... the band started. I was dancing backstage until we went on! Susie was like, "Dude, calm down." And I was all, "That's a downer.." A joke between us. SO! We get on stage, the audience was enchanted by the magical Fred on the keys, the energetic Matt on the drums, the ever solid Eric on acoustic guitar, the vocal phenomenon that is Walter (not to mention his awesome skills on electric guitar!), and of course, the father figure and mastermind, Steve, was magnificent. Flo and Susie were great, of course! And the choir! I can't say enough. You guys were great (That's non-gender-specific, fyi.)!
We had the honor to talk to the Flower Kings, High Wheel, and so many others! Someone suggested that we get together with the FK, and we could be called the Glass Flowers. Or the Hammer Kings. Or something. :)
Camel is wonderful! I am definitely getting some albums in the near future.
Ok, so the day we left - packed up, said our goodbyes, and headed out! More Mad libs, reading of stories, making of parodies (that will be on the forum in a moment!), more watching of Simpsons, stops with junk food none of us would eat otherwise, and of course - sleeping!
The trip was incredibly fun. I have so much swirling in my mind - so ask if you're curious!
:D
Who do you think I'll be without you?

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

The entertainment we created for ourselves on the way home!

Post by EIwing » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:00 pm

Pretense of this highly entertaining bar tune: Fred made the comment that he had been seeing several cows. And that cows were incredibly boring. Somehow in our conversation the idea to make a cow predatory arose. And stuck. So we had plans to genetically enhance a cow to make it predatory. Then, I casually asked if it would remain an herbavore, become an omnivore, or if the predatory cow should be a carnivorous creature. The carnivore, predatory cow concept was born. Oh, FYI- we also decided that since the cow was predatory, he should somehow have the ability to climb trees. Now that's a goodern. :D Eric soon chimed in with the lines, "Rabbits he likes the most to eat, squirrels he thinks a dainty treat, gophers he would love to try, but he can never catch them." We changed rabbits to frogs. But the idea was born, and the parody to "The Old Troll" was created from the minds of the GH members in the van : Susie, Steve, Fred, Flo, Eric, and myself. And you are blessed to read it before it is recorded! ENJOY!
Just outside the old red barn
And not to far from Bree
The old cow hides and waits for you
He hides up in a tree

He'll eat you once and make you cud
Spit you out and drink your blood
Lap you into stomach three
There he'll redigest you.

-chorus-
Hi-ho and hey diddle dee
Just beyond the town of Bree
Tarry there and you will see
The old cow hunt his supper.

If you ever travel East
I'm sure he'd like to stalk ya'
He'll lure you in with chicken strips!
And then he'll run at ya'.

Frogs he likes the most to eat,
Squirrels he thinks a dainty treat,
Gophers he would love to try,
But he can never catch them!

Hi-ho and hey diddle dee,
Just beyond the town of Bree
Tarry there and you will see
The old cow make his tacos!!

--+-- Notes --+--
Ok, the tacos are because he can't catch anything. Cows aren't particularly fast, you know. :lol:
Who do you think I'll be without you?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:26 pm

ROFL!! sounds like you had a LOT of fun! I'm putting this one on my fan site!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:21 am

:) :D:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cackle: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :) :) :D:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cackle: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :) :) :D:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cackle: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :) Image
:) :D:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cackle: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :) :) :D:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cackle: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :) :) :D:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cackle: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :)

*enormous grin*

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:16 pm

WOW guys, (non-gender specific) very interesting song. You really did a great job rhyming the lyrics. Cant wait to find out you've put it to music!! :cackle: Oh man! what a fun weekend. I especially loved just hanging out with you "normal folk from the backwoods"...and rehearsing....wish we all could have had more time together and Im sorry I didnt get to go up to 410 and see who all was up there for the party (my dad arrived Sunday night just after Camel and we drove home so I could go to work at 2 pm the next day)
PS: If you ever need a choir to do stuff again don't forget us :wink: I would hope that we all would have a chance to do something like this again

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:38 pm

P.S. I mentioned something to my mom about me possibly going down to Tennessee to see you guys sometime and she didnt give me the resounding 'NO' I would have expected. She just said I could maybe stay with my Aunt and Uncle who live down there :D Well, I can be hopefull anyway!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:29 pm

The pics are up! Go to http://www.ghfan.net to check out my NEARfest pictures, and feel free to email me more pictures to add at webmaster@ghfan.net. :-D

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Queen?!?!?

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:03 pm

Anyone remember during the soundcheck, for some reason, which I can't recall, we started singing acapella, Bohemian Rhapsody, in on-the-fly-muti-part-harmony? lol its was so crazy.... any other details i left out?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:09 pm

Now THAT was funny!!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

any?

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:03 pm

are there any pictures/video/audio of either of OUR practices?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03