Album most listened to.

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Album most listened to.

Post by Moog Taurus » Mon May 22, 2006 3:44 pm

Which album do you think you have played the most in your life?
I think mine would be either Moving Pictures (Rush) or Close To The Edge (Yes).
It's pretty difficult to be accurate but on the whole I think it would be one of the two. :roll:

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Mon May 22, 2006 3:51 pm

So far, Octavarium (By Dream Theater) is my most played ever. But lately Pink Floyd and Glass Hammer's stuff has been getting more listens.

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Mon May 22, 2006 4:29 pm

Dark Side Of The Moon I bought my first one back in the early seventies 74 I guess.
The world is smaller than you think!

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Mon May 22, 2006 5:40 pm

Uhhh.... "Live" by Brian Regan?
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:24 pm

Hmmmmmm . . .

Probably Lex Rex and 2112, I think. :P

Joe-×
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Joe-× » Mon May 22, 2006 9:28 pm

Tough one. I probably played all the Rush from 2112 to Signals about the same number of times. None of them really dominated the other, but these releases probably spent more time than anything else over the years.

Judas Priest's S-Trilogy - Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, and Stained Class as well as Unleashed in the East ate up quite a bit of listening time during the heathen years of 1979 to 1983. Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell was another popular one for me in those years.

I discarded the whole collection in the early summer of '84 after a bout of intestinal weakness following a sweaty and fanatical anti-rock revival at my roommate's Baptist church. He converted me over to Barnabas, Petra, Rez Band, Wyzards (ha ha, j/k), Degarmo & Key, Sweet Comfort Band, Steve Taylor, White Heart, and the rest of that whole thing for a good three or four months before I decided that secular rock really wasn't all that bad after all and I sure wish I had my groovy purple picture disc of Scorpion's Lonesome Crow back.

On my return to the devil's music, I threw myself head first into new wave and other "modern" 80's rock. Planet P Project ruled the turntable for a few years, but I soaked up everything and branched out into heavier rock as well. Towards the end of the 80's, an old college buddy told me that one of the White Heart guys, Dann Huff, was coming out with a new band.

Giant's Last of the Runaways was a steady companion for a year or two, during which time I was drawn further into the seedy world of hair metal - eventually buying everything ever released in the genre which I plan on selling on e-bay in about 10 years when it becomes huge, ha ha.

Also in the late 80's and early 90's, I rediscovered Rush (though never threw myself fully into the then new stuff) and finally succumbed after 15 years of pressure to start listening to my older sister's ancient prog rock bands - finally getting into Genesis, ELP, and Yes for more than just the radio tunes. Still into hair metal but also dabbling in progressive rock, I fell big time for Dream Theater's Images and Words which I recall listening to exclusively, non-stop for all of December of 92, and January and February of 93.

Through work I got on the Internet in the middle of 93 and discovered Usenet and the progressive snob newsgroup where I learned that I knew nothing about progressive rock including what it actually was. Since then I've been purchasing music like a madman in lots of different genres and subgenres based on what thousands of random nitwits across the globe have recommended in poorly worded reviews and stupefyingly over-the-top hagiographies.

Over the last five years, two bands have gained more of my listening time than anyone else - Shadow Gallery and Glass Hammer with favorites from each being Carved in Stone and Lex Rex respectively.

If I didn't wipe out my iPod every two months to reload it with stuff I absolutely must listen to for the next month, I'd be able to use that cool listen counter. I should use one of those web tracking play-counter things, but I'd end up obsessing over the numbers that I'd forget to just enjoy the music.

Sorry about the length. I gave my editor the day off.
Last edited by Joe-× on Mon May 22, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon May 22, 2006 9:33 pm

Lex Rex is definitely the most recent. But the question is, have I listen to Lex Rex more obsessively than Journey of the Dunadan? I don't think that could be possible. I definitely listened to JotD something like five times a day on a regular basis back in the day...

If you ask my iTunes Library, though, almost all of Lex Rex is in the 25-most-played list (except for the Goodnight, Intermission, etc) - ranging between 130s (Centurion) and 230s (Heroes and Dragons).

I definitely have way too much fun with this play count.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Tue May 23, 2006 6:24 am

Before the dawn of time...

It Bites - Once Around The World
Genesis - And Then There Were Three

All I can tell you is I had them on tape and played them both until the tapes broke!

After the Coming of the Compact Disc...

oooh, let's see...probably...

Yes - GFTO
Tea Party - Seven Circles
GH - Lex Rex
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Bogatyr
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Bogatyr » Tue May 23, 2006 9:03 am

Ooooo-errrr! This is a challenge! Being a DJ type, I get tons of music and rarely do I get a chance to listen to something to the point of burnout anymore. Back in the day, I spun the following to embarrassing excess: Rainbow - Rising, Black Sabbath - Mob Rules, Motorhead - Ace of Spades/No sleep till Hammersmith, Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast, Slayer - Reign in Blood, Kansas - Leftoverture, Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East, Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz, and the #1 overplayed album in my collection....Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous (still my favorite "live" album - there's no denying the beauty of the Robertson/Gorham twin guitar attack!)
Wheee!

Venividi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Venividi » Tue May 23, 2006 1:31 pm

In my entire life???

#1 Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night
#2 Yes - The Yes Album/Fragile (tie)
#4 GH - Lex Rex

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm

And you're too embarassed to admit number 3, or what?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Tue May 23, 2006 10:59 pm

I think he counted the tie at #2 as #2 and #3.
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Wed May 24, 2006 10:23 am

The album I have listened to most is almost certainly Sky's debut album (that's Sky with John Williams, not the Canadian band). I think I was about 13 when I got into it, and nobody can listen to things as obsessively as a young teen, especially considering my album collection was non-existant (the album was my father's).

There are a couple of other albums I have listened to obsessively. Selling England by the Pound by Genesis (where the end of the album is a reprise of a tune at the start) comes to mind. In the last five years Lex Rex is probably the album I got most obsessed by, but there were a few Italian albums (which I have been discovering in retrospect) that come pretty close.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Venividi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Venividi » Wed May 24, 2006 1:59 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:And you're too embarassed to admit number 3, or what?... <br><br> think he counted the tie at #2 as #2 and #3.
Rumpska is correct.

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Sun May 28, 2006 11:06 pm

Good question. I usually don't like to listen to the same thing over and over. That might expalin why I own 1,200 cd's. In recent years, I did listen to Scenes From A Memory by Dream Theater a ton of times. And I've listened to Leftoverture by Kansas hundreds of times at least. During my Rush fanatic years 83-90, I listened to all their albums a wee bit too much. Still love the band a ton. It may sound strange since I'm now a big Glass hammer fan, but I've listened to all of Lex Rex, my favorite of theirs maybe 20 times tops. I've heard Inconsolable Secret maybe 5 times all the way through, plus now, the new DVD 1 and a half times. With so much music, I listen to something twice usually and then move on to something else.
And now for something completly different...