Reviews of Fred & Steve's favorite festival

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Reviews of Fred & Steve's favorite festival

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:37 pm

Hopefully F & S won't wanna kill me for starting this thread-seeing as it is reviewing shows at their favorite festival on the planet(hehe)-Riverbend in Chattanooga. but Friday night I saw 2 phenomonal acts, another good one, and 3 songs from an intersting one. The phenomenal ones were Al DiMeola and his band(which i watched 2-3songs leaning on the stage 3 feet from him), and Sam Bush and his band. Sam is a phenomenal mandolin,violinist, and multi-instrumentalists, plus a pretty good vocalist. The worst part of the night-wading thru thousands of posessed Bocephus fans to get from Sam's stage to Al's. i also saw a pretty good family bluegrass band, and a wacky local jam band-so all in all an eclectic and very entertaining night. BTW, DiMeola might be the fastest and cleanest guitarist I've ever seen! Here's hoping to see F & S on thursday night for U I Blue! elric and I will be on the front row!Peace,David.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur
Location: hanging from the cobwebs in your mind, looks like a long long way to fall

Re: Reviews of Fred & Steve's favorite festival

Post by Losfer Words » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:07 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:Hopefully F & S won't wanna kill me for starting this thread-seeing as it is reviewing shows at their favorite festival on the planet(hehe)-Riverbend in Chattanooga.
:shock: Are you saying the GlassHammerites (is that even a word?)
are not "friends of the festival" :shock:
place William Shatner "but why?!?!" sound clip here along with more mock shocked smileys

Al DiMeola was at Riverbend?
did they even advertise that he was going to be there?
On a crystal morning I can see the dewdrops falling
Down from a gleaming heaven, I can hear the voices calling
When you comin' home now, son, this world is not for you

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Reviews of Fred & Steve's favorite festival

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:42 pm

Al DiMeola was at Riverbend?
did they even advertise that he was going to be there?[/quote]

Believe it or not it was-He was even fleetingly shown on some TV ads, but was overshadowed by Bocephus-which was really a blessing, less of a crowd for Al, better view for me. It really was a great night for a musical lover of eclectic tastes like me. I'd say 95% of the couple thousand at Al's shows were big fans.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:27 am

Family Faith night-Tuesday:
1)Beautiful weather
2)Fun time with my family
3)I was impressed with FFH-didn't expect much, but lead vocalist reminded me alot of billy joel, and they had a pretty good mix
4)Audio adrenaline-a little too loud, mark stuart's vocals-totally shot-pretty embarassing, but the band as a whole were pretty tight-and Big house and I get down-he lifts me up were favs for the kids. est. 50-60,000 in attendance. fun night in all. looking forward to U I Blue on Thursday night!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:31 pm

Did you see The Turning? That's Matt Warren's band (brother of Susie and Bethany). They just signed with Rocket Town.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:38 pm

I saw them and heard them fro afar. i KNEW there was something I'd heard about them. If I would've remembered I would have made more effort to get up and see them close. from what i heard it was okay, and the audience response(esp. young girls) seemed positive. but again, i couldn't make out much from where I was and dealing with 4 kids(or a t least 3 at the time)Oh yea-that's when my 14(going on 40yr.old)were having a little blow-out! sorry I missed em.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:42 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:Did you see The Turning? That's Matt Warren's band (brother of Susie and Bethany). They just signed with Rocket Town.
Does that mean Susie and Bethany were at Riverbend? does that mean the Mayor and Fred could be next? no-don't think so, no reports of HELL freexing over in the next 4 days!!!

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur
Location: hanging from the cobwebs in your mind, looks like a long long way to fall

Post by Losfer Words » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:25 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:does that mean the Mayor and Fred could be next? no-don't think so, no reports of HELL freexing over in the next 4 days!!!
Just look for the two guys wandering around with the t-shirts that say "you should have saved your money and gone to NEARFEST instead"

I wonder if one can get kicked out of Riverbend for wearing a Bonaroo t-shirt?

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:34 pm

I have an excuse- was recording Eric Parker tonight :D
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:11 am

Very excellent!

So what do us fans get to do for this album? =)

Name a song? The album? Help Roger Dean come up with the art? that's assuming he helps you guys again =p
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:55 am

Got to go Thursday night to see the UnumProvident stage opening act UIBlue.

I was surprised to see that Shreddy was playing guitar that night for them. It was my first time hearing any of their work and my first impression was that they were a lot like Mostly Autumn although I think that their sound is more modern and I like the acoustic guitar sound and Lindstrom's voice better. They had a French song that I really liked. All in all I think they were a great act and it was good to meet the band.

On a side note.....Shreddy was incredible. There was one guy in the audience was about a hair close to passing out drunk that kept shouting out over and over, " Turn up that guitarist! He is a mean player! He rocks!" Yeshead tried to convince me that it was a member of Glass Hammer in disguise :lol:

UnumProvident stage is the one place I really do not mind going to at Riverbend. You walk less than a football field length from your car, it is not that crowded, and IMHO the acts are more to my taste.

Anyways, always great to hear good music live and meet nice people. Looking forward to October!
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

Shreddy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shreddy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:19 pm

It was awesome to see you guys there !
I really enjoyed playing with UI Blue. It was a blast !
I'll probably see some of you tomorrow for the Allman bros !

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:25 pm

[quote="Elric"]

On a side note.....Shreddy was incredible. There was one guy in the audience was about a hair close to passing out drunk that kept shouting out over and over, " Turn up that guitarist! He is a mean player! He rocks!" Yeshead tried to convince me that it was a member of Glass Hammer in disguise :lol:

I am convinced-cause i saw a rat tail slipping out of the side of his mouth. Shreddy was subtly and insidioudly incredible. they finally did turn him up on the las three songs. The performance was great by all-very tight, just sub-par mixing by the RB crew. but i've been listening to the CD non-stop since abd absolutely LOVE it! and it was only 5 bucks at the show!!! there was another very intersting band later on the same stage called The Dukhs-from canada-who played a Bluegrass/Cajun/calypso/Gospel/Folk style with a strabgely tatooed spiked blonde hair female singer and two violinists! who said riverbend isn't eclectic? and on top of that-they were really good. another good night. Unfortunate;y can't go tonight, but i'm pumped for the allman Brothers/Derek Trucks/Oteil Burbbridge tomorrow night. i hope to hook up with shreddy tomorrow night. he's an incredible talent and guy!!!

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Losfer Words » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:00 am

In my best Charlie Brown voice:
"Another Riverbend festival has come and gone and I missed it!" (never been to it).
I guess if Boston or Satriani ever plays Riverbend I may have reason to attend.
Yet on the bright side as a result of missing it I'm that much closer to having the new CD finished. :D

Shreddy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shreddy » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:42 pm

Sorry I didn't make it to the Allman show.. I actually got there late, but it was so crowded that it was impossible to find you guys there. Good thing they had very big screens. What I saw from the performance was realy good though. :-)