Who are you listening too?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:23 am

I just picked up a bunch of CDs, of which the most interesting is "Hildegard von Bingen" by a group called Garmana. They take pieces of music by abbess Hildegard and update them. As corny as this sounds they actually do a good job of it, mainly because they never try to crowd out or alter the original melody.

I have just finished listening to another recent purchase, "Claude Monet Vol.2 by XII Alfonso". Very nice.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:20 pm

Alatar wrote:I just picked up a bunch of CDs, of which the most interesting is "Hildegard von Bingen" by a group called Garmana.
Is this the same Hildegard whose texts were set to music by Richard Einhorn for his "Voices of Light" oratorio?
Alaltar wrote:I have just finished listening to another recent purchase, "Claude Monet Vol.2 by XII Alfonso". Very nice.
Cool! I just saw this release at Artist Shop yesterday and wondered about it. I was recently introduced to XII Alfonso via their contribution to "Odyssey: The Greatest Tale" which every Hammerhead should own.
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:14 am

i recently picked up Yes Songs and Gidon Kremer doing all of the Bach unaccompanied Sonatas and Partitas for violin and oh, how sweet it is...
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:09 pm

Listening to--and watching--an AD concert vid as I import it onto hard drive. I just snagged myself a video-capture device that plugs into a USB port, and found out earlier tonight that there are no vids of this band on YouTube. Well, I'm a-gonna fix dat.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:38 pm

johnc wrote:Listening to--and watching--an AD concert vid as I import it onto hard drive. I just snagged myself a video-capture device that plugs into a USB port, and found out earlier tonight that there are no vids of this band on YouTube. Well, I'm a-gonna fix dat.
COOL! I have very vague memories of seeing a live AD video back in the early 80's. I bet the one you have is it. Do they do Beyond The Pale??
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:38 pm

Prog Music's Frank wrote:COOL! I have very vague memories of seeing a live AD video back in the early 80's. I bet the one you have is it. Do they do Beyond The Pale??
Yep, prefaced by a Mike Gleason piano solo. (Bet he wants me to upload that one first. 8) )

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:50 pm

johnc wrote:
Prog Music's Frank wrote:COOL! I have very vague memories of seeing a live AD video back in the early 80's. I bet the one you have is it. Do they do Beyond The Pale??
Yep, prefaced by a Mike Gleason piano solo. (Bet he wants me to upload that one first. 8) )
Definitely. It has to be the same show. How many could there be?
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:56 pm

I've heard of, but never seen, a videotape made at the band's appearance at Cornerstone, a Christian music festival in Chicago (the vid I have was filmed at a place in California called the Golden Bear). To the best of my knowledge, these two vids are it.

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:10 am

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:46 am

Well, before i left the apt. I was listening to the 2nd cd from Yes Songs. I'll probably continue it when i get back. Unless i bust out the Bach Unaccompanied Sonatas and Partitas.
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:22 pm

Lately I've been listening to Magenta's latest, "Home". It's what I would call "pretty prog". I Have to be in the mood for it, but when I am, it works. Before that I was on quite a PFM kick. And before that, some extremly heavy symphonic metal with the recent Adagio album, "Dominate". That one has some death growls, though most of the vocals are clean, and it also has an odd cover of the Irene Cara song "Fame". Right now though, I'm in the mood for some Saga.
And now for something completly different...

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:49 pm

I´m in the mood for some very old stuff I´m just listening to Mountains Nantucket Sleighride and what a brilliant album it was....
The world is smaller than you think!

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:52 pm

Bozo wrote:I´m in the mood for some very old stuff I´m just listening to Mountains Nantucket Sleighride and what a brilliant album it was....
I never heard of that one before. Come to think of it, I doubt I've heard any Mountain aside from Mississippi Queen and Theme From an Imaginary Western.
And now for something completly different...

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:18 am

You need to listen to the songs were Pappalardi is singing he has a great voice and Nantucket Sleighride is there most proggie album but to really get the feel of it you need to listen to it from old time vinyl, the sound is just made for all those small schrates and things.
The world is smaller than you think!

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:30 pm

some prog classics lately, notably swedish group Flasket Brinner from the mid-1970's, and German proggers Hoelderlin and Grobschnitt.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis