Who are you listening too?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:37 am

Genesis-Archives(LLDOB live)from itunes,plus other old Genesis-NC,FT,SEBTP. Got me thinking-do I have a signature song for my favorite bands. I do with YES and Genesis, but not too many others, just too hard to narrow down. But "Awaken" still moves me more than any other YES song, and the same goes for "Firth of Fifth" from Genesis-and boy that's saying alot from me!!!Any thoughts?
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:01 pm

how bout a nice Paul Whitehead inspired avi to start? I love the work he did for Foxtrot and NC.

this morning I have been listening to some obscure 70's Italian prog: Apoteosi. Excellent band progheads!
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:53 pm

Bozo wrote: but to really get the feel of it you need to listen to it from old time vinyl, the sound is just made for all those small schrates and things.
That is precisely what I DON'T want to hear, and the major reason I don't miss vinyl one bit. All those scratches and pops made most music unlistenable to me. I would maybe play an album once or twice before making a proper audio cassette recording. I was so thrilled to do away with vinyl listening for good once I got a cd player nearly 17 years ago. The only thing vinyl albums were good for was the cover art as far as I'm concerned. The only time in recent memory I have spun albums are with 78's on the family Victrola. Now that I enjoy, pops, scratches and all!
And now for something completly different...

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:11 am

In my opinion there are some sixties and seventies album that just sounds better with all those scratches and things. But hey, I´m old.
The world is smaller than you think!

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:47 pm

yesterday it was Italy but for today we journey up to Sweden for some vintage 70's prog in the form of Radiomöbel. Highly recommended. It is pretty mindblowing just how international progressive rock has been in the last 35 years.

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:05 pm

In Scandinavia you should check out Finnforest, Wig Wam and Tasavallan Presidentti. They are all Proggr4oups from Finnland from the seventies.

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

I have Fairyport by Wigwam. Grrreat stuff. Today's obscure stroll down amnesia lane inlcudes Secret Oyster from 1973 (Danish jazz/prog/fusion) and Ragnarok from Sweden circa 1977. I'll keep an eye out for Finnforest.

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:11 pm

Ragnarök did same very great stuff. Another one is Made In Sweden or Sammla Mammas Manna both from Sweden and then there is Kebnekaise if you like Scandinavian folkmusic played by a rockband.

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:29 pm

this morning I have been listening to Solar Plexus, Swedish prog/jazz/fusion from '72. Some good material here, but not my favorite stuff. It has been fun digging through the old stuff and listening to obscure prog I haven't dug out in many a moon.

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:14 pm

My favorit occupasion too. Somehow all those old songs from the seventies are related with some good or bad memories.

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur
Location: hanging from the cobwebs in your mind, looks like a long long way to fall

Post by Losfer Words » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:28 am

Dusted off a copy of Billy Thorpe's Children of the Sun ( Original version and on cassette too! half the challenge of listening was finding a cassette player in the house that actually still worked and hoping the tape wasn't so ancient that it would disentegrate into a pile of magnetic dust and plastic as it passed over the tape heads)

I like the track Dream Maker from this one the best.
On a crystal morning I can see the dewdrops falling
Down from a gleaming heaven, I can hear the voices calling
When you comin' home now, son, this world is not for you

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:28 pm

Big Elf- those guys flat rock!! It answers the question, what would Black Sabbath be if they had been a prog band (which they almost were on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath). Also, for serious proghole proggier-than-prog I've been listening to Pictures by the (I think!) Swiss 70's project Islands. They must be, they used Geiger cover art before anyone except maybe ELP. Obscure, atonal, somewhat VdGG. Good stuff.
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:30 am

ELP-debut, and Trilogy. believe it or not, i never owned either one of these that i remember. Picked em up at Mckay's pretty cheap.so fAr ELP is a little more impressive and consistant. don't know that i've ever heard Take a Pebble in its entirity or The three fates.Great stuff!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:01 am

Just got the Last Kiss Soundtrack and there is an awesome Imogen Heap song on it. I like the whole thing pretty much-There's also a new/upcoming singer/songwriter named Schuyler Fisk who I think is pretty good. She's on it too.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur
Location: hanging from the cobwebs in your mind, looks like a long long way to fall

Post by Losfer Words » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:58 pm

Listening to Richie Blackmore's Rainbow Rising.

I'd like to hear Run with the Wolf- modernized.
I think it's the one Rainbow track where you really get a glimpse of the sound Dio would evolve into on his solo albums.
There are some great tunes on Rainbow's albums, yet the guitar amp tones and recordings are just horribly dated and weak sounding to me now. Anyone building a time machine? I'll hop back in time and drop a modern ENGL or Soldano amp in their studio just before the sessions :D
On a crystal morning I can see the dewdrops falling
Down from a gleaming heaven, I can hear the voices calling
When you comin' home now, son, this world is not for you