Who are you listening too?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur
Location: hanging from the cobwebs in your mind, looks like a long long way to fall

Post by Losfer Words » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:05 pm

Listening to the medieval side of Blackmore today:
Blackmore's Night
http://blackmoresnight.com/

Their cover of Diamonds and Rust was the first track I ever heard by them.
On a crystal morning I can see the dewdrops falling
Down from a gleaming heaven, I can hear the voices calling
When you comin' home now, son, this world is not for you

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Moog Taurus » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:50 pm

I'm going through a Porcupine Tree phase at the moment.
Stupid Dream ,Signify , Deadwing and In Absentia recently found spinning in my CD player.
Just got the new Flower Kings DVD , great band. 8)

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:55 am

ELP-King Biscuit Flower Hour Live-The full version of Karn Evil ( is incredible-Palmer and Emerson go nuts!!!!Two bad ther's no Tarkus on it though.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:56 am

Moog Taurus wrote:I'm going through a Porcupine Tree phase at the moment.
Stupid Dream ,Signify , Deadwing and In Absentia recently found spinning in my CD player.
Just got the new Flower Kings DVD , great band. 8)
Deadwing and In Absentia are both excellent-but I have to be in the right mood for them-didn't care for Signify or the older ones, got rid of em. I haven't heard Stupid Dream.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Boston Tea Party-A fusion who's who featuring T Lavitz,Dennis Chambers,Jeff Berlin, and Dave "Fuze"-can't spell his last name(that plays for the "Scraming Headless Torsos"-anybody familiar with them? Anyway-Berlin and Lavitz really smoke on this, Chambers is uncharacteristiclly restrained, and "Fuze" is all over the place-definetely has his own sound. This is on Tone Center records whose fusion stuff is ALL pretty good-if you like that sort of thing!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:54 pm

Wow- Lavitz and Berlin! I had no idea they had a project. Gotta get that!!

I've recently been into:

10cc (the Godley/Creme period)
Max Webster
Wendy Carlos
High Wheel (got their album at NEARFest)
Rush: Caress Of Steel
Kate Bush: The Dreaming

And an amzing album from 1987 by Jane Siberry called The Walking which is a little Kate Bush-esque but frankly a lot cooler.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:03 am

[quote="FredProgGH"]Wow- Lavitz and Berlin! I had no idea they had a project. Gotta get that!!

Yeah-and they are really the highlights so far. Berlin is just amazing! He doesn't record nearly enough. I got a Bruford compliation DVD on Ebay that includes the 1978 Rock goes to college on it with Holdsworth,Berlin, and Dave Stewart. what a band!!! He;s incredible there too! I ctually got to see him do a clinic in memphis in the early 90's with shawn Lane and Walfredo Reyes(of Santana). they did like a 30 min. version of "Crossroads". T Lavitz is great too-saw him with the Dregs when they opened for DT in 2000.They just didn't let Chambers do enough-my only comlaint so far!!!!!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:58 am

I've got Rock Goes To College on VHS somewhere. That was a great band. I saw them at Mile High Stadium one year opening a big all day festival show with UFO, The Cars, Ted Nugent and Heart. Bruford was a last minute replacement. A little out of place on that bill, but they were the best band of the day.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:59 am

FredProgGH wrote:I've got Rock Goes To College on VHS somewhere. That was a great band. I saw them at Mile High Stadium one year opening a big all day festival show with UFO, The Cars, Ted Nugent and Heart. Bruford was a last minute replacement. A little out of place on that bill, but they were the best band of the day.
What a line-up! I bet they were the best! Was schenker still with UFO? 78-He must have been!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:45 am

yeshead 777 wrote: What a line-up! I bet they were the best! Was schenker still with UFO? 78-He must have been!
I don't specifically remember- you would think, but I wasn't a big UFO fan, although I liked them.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:51 am

FredProgGH wrote:
yeshead 777 wrote: What a line-up! I bet they were the best! Was schenker still with UFO? 78-He must have been!
I don't specifically remember- you would think, but I wasn't a big UFO fan, although I liked them.
Oh now come on-I remember everything from my concertsdays in the 70's!!!HEHE-there couldn't have been some internal enhancement involved to cloud your memory could there have been? Bruford and schenker on the same bill would have made me spontaneously combust back then-I was a HUGE UFO fan, but didn't get to see them until 1980 or so, and Schenker was gone, and everyone was booing the new guitarist and yelling "MICHAEL"

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Moog Taurus » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:51 pm

Best track by UFO for me has to be Love To Love from Lights Out.
Strangers In The Night captures it perfectly.
They were good with Schenker but they made good albums without him 8)
Barclay James Harvest - Everyone Is Everybody Else is today's choice for me.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:50 pm

That is a killer song(love to Love)-was that off of Lights out or Force it? Force it was my fav overall. Let it Roll and Rock bottom are still my favs, There's some softer songs from Phenomenon that are really good to.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:33 pm

I remember liking Force It a lot. I played Lights Out in a cover band back in the day but it wasn't acually all that great a song *lol*

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:51 pm

FredProgGH wrote:I remember liking Force It a lot. I played Lights Out in a cover band back in the day but it wasn't acually all that great a song *lol*
Lights Out and Doctor Doctor were alwasys overrated and overplayed! My all time favs:Too Young to know,Love Lost love,Out in the Street,mother Mary, Pack it up and Go, and Only you can rock Me. i remembered Paul Chapman even bothced LO and DD live-it was ptitiful . Saw a MSG video recently-He's still got it, and or course more than half the set list was UFO songs just mentioned. His first solo album(and maybe the second too) were awesome! another awesome guitarist from that era was the Scorpions original lead guitarist Uli Roth. He;s apparantely still around shredding also. there's a live CD out there with both of them on it. i need to pick it up sometime.