Who are you listening too?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:28 pm

Dark Matter was a huge album and everyone seems to like it. I haven't heard it- post your thoughts after you listen!

BTW, n/p- nothing. I bought a car with no cd player and haven't installed one yet...)
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:36 am

I didn't like Dark Matter as much as Seventh House or Subteranna-but "Sacred Sound" is a great song, and so is "You never Will". I don't like "Harvest of souls" as much as the epic on Subterannea-Narrow Margin. I really got into IQ about a year or so ago, and now I hardly ever listen to them for some reason-I think it's Peter Nichols' voice-it can grating to me after a while. Sacred Sound and The Seventh House are great still great songs!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:08 pm

Lets see, I'm still listening to my Nearfest haul. Right now I have Rick Wakeman's Retro cd in the car. Very fun disc. There are a couple clunkers on this, but most of the songs are very enjoyable. Great to hear those vintage synths. I've also been enjoying the prog-metal of a Finnish band, Silent Voices. It sounds like modern Dream Theater -say Six Degrees, which is fine by me! Also some good stuff by Ozric Tentacles and their new one "The Floor's Too Far Away". I still have many discs I bought at NF that I had yet to hear a single note. It should keep me busy for quite a while. One of those is The Odyssey, possibly the next thing i listen to.
And now for something completly different...

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Moog Taurus » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:18 pm

Dark Matter is really good , I have followed IQ for a few years now and they always deliver when it comes to new albums.
I saw them live last year on the Dark Matter tour and they were excellent.
Some people have a problem with Peter Nicholls' vocals but I have no such side effects.
The stand out track on Dark Matter for me is Harvest Of Souls but I recommend the entire CD :D

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:41 am

I pulled the "UK", to hear Alaska again. What an awesome CD, and an awesome supergroup. What could've been, if it would have lasted longer. I also found a live bootleg I have that is incredible-short, but great! They open with "Alaska/Time to Kill", and do 3 songs from "Danger Money" that Holdsworth and Bruford didn't play on, but they had already written. Wetton's bass playing and sound on that is incredible-I never really noticed his bass playing much-even with KC, I guess I already focused more on his singing-which was really good at this point in his career. The stuff Holdsworth and Jobson did were incredible-esp. Jobson's violin playing, Holdsworth is always amazing. Bruford's playing is really well mixed also. Glad I found this again!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:37 am

Prog Music's Frank wrote:Dark Matter was a huge album and everyone seems to like it. I haven't heard it- post your thoughts after you listen!
I am not sure if I have already posted my opinions on this album here, but I really liked it. I saw it discounted and decided to pick it up because I didn't own anything by them.

On the topic of "Harvest of Souls", the epic of this album, it is all one big homage to "Supper's Ready". The cool thing is that it's not so obvious the first time you listen to it, but if you fast forward it on your CD player it just jumps out at you.

I have also recently picked up an album by Harmonium ("5eme saison), from Quebec. It is really nice, and highly recommended if you are after something a little softer, or "pastoral" as some people describe it.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:50 pm

Listening to the the track 'Cycles' by Ghost Circus

very interesting sound: http://www.myspace.com/ghostcircus
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:38 pm

I picked up Phil Keaggy's new one "Jammed" today for 6 bucks at Mckay's used books/CD's,etc. Which was way too cool, cause I wanted to get it eventually anyway. sounds good so far, but He still doesn't ever quite capture on CD what He can do live-accoustic or electric, but He's still SOOO amazing, and one of my all time fav guitarists!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:23 am

Love hearing him live- its so funny when he forgets the next words or part in a song.

Just stops a second, someone shouts or hums it, and get right back going agian.

I mean, how many songs this guy written?

One of my fav albums of his is still 'On The Fly'
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:25 am

I like on the fly, but I think this one's alittle better. I love the accoustic loop machine show He's been the last few years-but I's love to see him one more time with a electric band show!Saw him with that way back in 81 or so, and then with Wes King and scott Dente in 98 or 99. the other 3 times have been accoustic shows. my favs of his are still "Play thru Me" and "Getting Closer". i'm now listening to TIS Disc Two, just listened to Echolyn's live CD"Jersey Tomato"vol.2-one I accidentely left off the BEST LIVE CD"S lit.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:28 am

Hey-i forgot, i also got another live boot form Yesfans trading this weekend. bonner springs,Kansas July1,2000 with Igor-the Masterworks tour. It's really good-Chris dominated the show and tour-He BLEW me away when i say this same show in Nashville that year. But am I crazy or did I hear COWBELL on ISAGP??? I'll have to listen again!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:08 am

Current Ipod Favorites....

Mum (Icelandic and very cool),
Devin Townsend Band,
Opeth,
Early Recordings of Skip James
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

wood-elf

Post by wood-elf » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:06 am

Opeth is a favorite of mine. Very talented band. This weekend I have been listening to guys like John Fahey, Robbie Basho, and Leo Kottke, with a little bit of Oregon thrown in to the mix.

Bogatyr
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Bogatyr » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:56 am

Getting a ton of time on my iPod right now is the latest from White Willow, "Signal to Noise". This album is absolutely gorgeous from beginning to end - wonderful lead vox/harmonies from new singer Trude Eidtang (cross Sandy Denny and Annie Haslam with more personality), brilliant and tastefully done 'tron and flute in the classic symphonic prog style (minus any wankery), and most important, just very well written songs. These guys seem to be following a trend of sorts that I've noticed among Scandinavian prog bands, in that they meld the "traditional" progressive sound with a distinctly modern/post rock approach. Not that it will gain them any cred among the hipsters out there, it's still a nice bit of ear candy that has some limited potential for crossover appeal. Highly recommended when it comes out in Sept!
Wheee!

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:25 pm

Today it was Hillage, Fish Rising, Pallas : The Dream Of Men, Pink Floyd : Pulse Dvd , Paatos, Dream of another kind and Kansas : Device Voice Drum.
The world is smaller than you think!