Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Good review from ProgressiveEars.com

Post by CanarioAB » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:05 pm

Just found this, wanted to pass it along! April

Glass Hammer: Grade: A-
No evil here, a band offering the nice side of prog. Beautiful, retro, symphonic sound, killer keyboard work, very fine looking back-up vocalists (I'm in love with the red head) and a guest appearance from Ameri-prog royalty, what else more do you need? I spoke to co-founder and keyboardist Fred Schendel afterwards and he said something to the effect that this was the greatest day of his life. He was genuinly thrilled to have played in front of such a large and appreciative
crowd. That was true of so many musicians the whole weekend. Of course they also had the biggest surprise of the festival when they invited Rich Williams of Kansas fame to join them on stage for a rendition of the classic 'Portrait'. This included a nice little jam at the end, and guitarist Walter Moore doing his best Steve Walsh imitation. Hey Rob and Chad, how about Kansas as a headliner? Anyway, it was a very special moment. As for the GH set list, it was simple. One track off of Chronomotree and then the entire Lex Rex album, with the Kansas song and a quick but great drum solo -Frank Katz could have learned from that. The drums were a big improvement over the GH studio work, with Matt Mendians one of the top drummers of the festival. His style was suited from prog-metal, yet he seemed to adapt well to the GH 70's retro sound. The real star of the band was keyboardist Schendel, his playing also including some very nice steel guitar work. He palyed some blazing synth solos throughout the set. Lacking a true lead vocalist, they relied more on group effort. Still, the backup singers were really good. Both Suzy and Flo are lovely women with voices to match. I can't remember the name of the third vocalist, she was much younger and did not have any lead parts to perform. The vocals could have been louder, the only real complaint. They added a choir late in the set, but that did me no good where I was sitting, since I could only see one person! Couldn't hear them at all. There were some feedback problems a couple times, but for the most part the sound was pristine. It was a beautiful prog album given more than its fair justice live. Pretty water-holder-backer good for a band that hadn't played a concert in several years and never with this lineup. A nice welcome back to the stage.

(the 'no evil here' comment was in reference to the previous band, 'Sleepytime Gorilla Museum'. I agree. I lasted 2 minutes with them, they disturbed my psyche and spirit so much that I had to leave, never mind that I thought their music was horrible.)

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:18 pm

*sniff* Poor neglected Bethany. Well at least some of us remember you weren't just a backup vocalist! "I will lead the charge one day, he swore...." :) Sounded good! I was right up in the front kneeling next to the stage for that one, and I even have part of a movie of it on my digital camera. Poor quality recording from the camera, but still!

as for Sleepytime Gorilla Museum- Yeah, the lights, the dresses, the donkey headed drummer... i saw a few seconds of it, but now i wish i would have stayed for just a little longer out of curiosity. As i heard o=someone remark (i can't remember who!): When did NEARfest turn into ozzfest?
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

;_;!

Post by EIwing » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:34 pm

Thank you, Stephanie!!! -long distance hug- But I'm not complaining... really. It was such a blast just to be up there, that no recognition is needed!
:cry: -tragic, heroic pose- Anyway -...I'M KIDDING! Flo has red hair, right? I laughed. Susie's name is printed how many times in the NEARFest program, and somehow it still managed to be spelled 'Suzy'. C'est la vie. At least Fred was recognized!
I agree about the SGM band/group/whatever. Very tight, very intricate, but uber disturbing.
Who do you think I'll be without you?

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:47 pm

Lacking a true lead vocalist, they relied more on group effort
What is this?? Since when did a band need a "true lead vocalist" :x but whatever! :roll: I think you guys do great sharing the singing responsibility (What was it? out of 5 instrumentalists up there 3 of you sang? and sing well? A lot of groups really can't claim that. Then add in Susie, Flo, and Bethany). But anyway, I agree with Steph about Bethany's part really being downplayed...at least Fred, Walter, and Matt got some favorable words in there. :D
"Matt Mendians one of the top drummers of the festival" HEHE, there you go Matt, some good words for you, can't really beat that!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: ;_;!

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:49 pm

EIwing wrote:At least Fred was recognized!
I agree about the SGM band/group/whatever. Very tight, very intricate, but uber disturbing.
Of course all in the actual GH organization are aware of Bethany's contribution. As were most in the theater. Bethany ROCKS!!!!!
And April - I can hear the choir plain as day on my camcorder - in pitch!
Steve
:cuckoo:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:53 pm

I can hear the choir plain as day on my camcorder - in pitch!
Thank God! That is some good news, I can't wait to hear a sample :D

Jonger

NEARfest

Post by Jonger » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:43 pm

EIlwing Wrote:
"I agree about the SGM band/group/whatever. Very tight, very intricate, but uber disturbing.
"

Uber disturbing :) . I have enlisted myself some serious Psychiatric help to get rid of the terrible dreams of people with donkey heads wearing dresses .

Hold me I'm scared..... Oh no here he comes again !!!!! :shock:

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:01 pm

The red hair thing had me really confused too. then again, you all kind of looked like you had red hair, depending on which color lights were shining. (http://www.ghfan.net/gh/galleryNF-5.html)
Jonger - lol!
And, honorable Mayor, I've very glad to hear we sounded good. :) Yay!

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:55 pm

Great news about the choir, Steve -- especially that we were on pitch!

So ... really ... when can we do this again??? :D

I could hear Flo, Susie and Bethany just fine from where I was standing off to the side; Mike Potter, who was in charge of the recording, could hear the choir fine. I believe Mike is in charge of the Studio M work, anything to pass on to him? I'll be seeing him Saturday at an Iluvatar show in Baltimore. As usual, I work to support my music habit!

Love to all,
April

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:44 am

So, this is my first go at posting in the GH Forum,..or, any forum for that matter! My guess on the thing about Bethany not being recognized, is that they got Bethany and I mixed up. She looks older. And, I must agree with Steve, Bethany DOES rock! BTW, she had pink in her hair, pink is pretty close to red (hee hee).
Happy 4th Everyone! :D

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:42 pm

Reepicheep wrote:So, this is my first go at posting in the GH Forum,..or, any forum for that matter! My guess on the thing about Bethany not being recognized, is that they got Bethany and I mixed up. She looks older. And, I must agree with Steve, Bethany DOES rock! BTW, she had pink in her hair, pink is pretty close to red (hee hee).
Happy 4th Everyone! :D
This must be Flo, who by the way - will soon have her own solo album. And it is AMAZING, as is she :D
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:07 pm

Cool! What's it called?

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:28 pm

Cool Flo, I like your forum name :D <----Big C.S. Lewis fan.

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:34 pm

Yeah, Reepicheep is my favorite-small, but valiant!
And, to answer the previous question, the album is going to be called "Practice Room".

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:29 am

When's it coming out?