Odyssey tracks featured on DLBN

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Odyssey tracks featured on DLBN

Post by esteban » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:14 am

Tune in for two tracks from Odyssey: The Greatest Tale on Retune the Sky this week, my 2-hour on-demand show on the DLBN Internet radio station. Of course, At the Court of Alkinoos will be one of them (the other is a great one too, by Aether). If you haven't given this classic example of GH music a spin, now's your chance to enjoy it! The Laura Lindstrom - Susie Bogdanowicz duet is alone worth the price of admission...

Fair warning: the GH piece is last among 2.5 hours of music and witless commentary by yours truly. The playlist and link to download or stream the show is at:

http://www.thedividingline.com/rts.html

This show will be posted Monday (8/21) evening, available for a week, and replayed on the main station feed on 8/28 at 2pm CDT. If you check it before this evening, the previous show featuring Atlanta's Man on Fire will still be available.

And please don't tell Susie that I mispronounced her name during the intro :oops: Sometimes I wish that clown of a DJ would pipe down and just play the tunes!
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:58 pm

Hmmmm . . . sounds intriguing . . . :P

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:06 pm

Odyssey is well worth owning, and I say this after only hearing the first disc! That is the one with GH, Nexus and Nathan Mahl. Its a shame Nexus no longer has their lead vocalist from their two albums. Vocals on this new song are a little weak, but the music is terrific symphonic prog.
And now for something completly different...

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:13 pm

I think The Odyssey is an amazing release. I love our whole disk, C.A.P and Minimum Vitale. I know there was other good stuff but that's what I remember most. Glad you're playing this, Esteban!!
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:32 pm

I've owned this for exactly one week (and today's my birthday, happy b-day to me) and I'm enjoying the GH, Aether, Minimum Vital, and Nexus the best, so we're on the same page here. But, I do find enjoyment in the Italian bands as well, just need to get used to some of the, ah, overly dramatic bits.

What is it about South America and prog? How'd they get so good at it? It's got to be more than just Fripp's Guitar Craft courses down there.

Just so you know (and only Gamgee is likely to care), I talked to my buddy the Greek prof here and he gave me the proper pronunications of Alkinoos, Nausikaa, and so on, but not until after I'd done the show, doh! And he couldn't help me with Bogdanowicz :wink: .

PM'sFrank, I am most happy to play such fine music. Sadly, the DLBN server was hacked this week and I can only hope its up again by Monday so I can do my next show, which will feature the Minimum Vital piece.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:55 pm

So what are the proper pronunciations? The accent rules in Greek are insane.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:12 pm

Let's see what I can remember...

Alkinoos: Al-KEEN-o-os (short o sound, pronounce both vowels)

Nausikaa: Nah-SEE-ka-a (again, both vowels)

Odysseus: I don't remember, he pronounced such that only another Greek prof would recognize it, not the more common O-DIS-e-us. He also gave the linguistic reason for the change from ody- to uly- but I, ah, chose not to retain that :D

Bogdanowicz: bog-DAN-o-witz (just kidding)

Oh, I like that sig there Sam, I happen to be listening to Gates of Delirium right this minute; it's the first album side played on my radio show today.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:20 pm

Why thank you. I love the song.

And good to know. I kinda thought that was how you pronounced it, but i wasn't sure.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]