Mike Portnoy interview

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Mike Portnoy interview

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:01 pm

This is a great interview with the incredible drummer of Dream Theater,Transatlantic,Neal Morse,OSI,etc. His views on old and new prog music are pretty enlightning-beware He likes to use the f bomb. Go to http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1365349
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:08 pm

What’s the maddest concept album?

“I would say The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis. It’s one of my favourite Genesis albums and I love it. But I have listened to it hundreds of times and I to this day have no idea what the %#$* it is about"(QUOTE)

I bet The Mayor knows!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:38 am

http://www.rawbw.com/~marka/music/lamb.html
Here you can find a few answers to what the lamb is all about.
The world is smaller than you think!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:58 am

Thanks! I've printed it out to read at a further date in my leisure(haha) time. Had to cut down a tree to print this out-tree huggers won't be happy!48 pages!!!!! Next-I'll tackle TFTO!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:12 am

Speaking of Genesis-I picked up a bargain at Mckay's last week- the VHS "Genesis-A History" made in 1990 at the peak of the commercial abacab years, but features alot of PG material, and even interviews with Anthony Phillips,PG, and SH. I thought it was pretty well done. Got to see alot of those weird PG costumes for the first time! Does anyone know where a decent copy of one of the live shows from the Foxtrot/SEBTP/or TLLDOB tours is that I can get my hands on at an affordable price. I've seen the usual rip-offs on EBAY. There are rumours that say theres a complete LLDOB show out there somewhere! Does anyone own the "Musical Box"-the cover group that is-their live DVD-I heard it;s pretty good, Anyway-as you can tell=I've been in a Genesis mood lately. Just wondering which CD's are the GH fans and members' favs. Can someone start a poll-I;m no to good at that. My top 5:
1)LLDOB
2)SEBTP
3)Foxtrot
4)WATW
5)Duke

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:53 am

Being that Genesis is my favorite band, I to, actually have NO idea what The Lamb is about. I have the simple version of it. Rael, the teenage ruffian goes on an adventure to save his brother, yet it turns out that he is actually searching for himself, but everything else is a blur. :shock:

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Moog Taurus » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:00 pm

My top 5 Genesis albums:

1. Wind And Wuthering
2. Trick Of The Tail
3. Then There Were Three
4. Duke
5. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Second Out would be in there but I assume we are talking studio work.
:D

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:25 pm

Mine are:

Foxtrot
TLLDOB
Selling England By The Pound
Nursery Cryme
Trick of The Tail

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:33 pm

Just picked up "And then there were three"-love the song "Undertow". It's all pretty good-but doesn't bowl me over quite like Duke does for some reason, and its probably more proggy than Duke. I just somehow missed this one when it came out, and I've NEVER heard alot of it til now-I'm growing into it. Mike does an okay job on guitars-but Steve is sorely missed. Also picked up a copy of the Way We Walk live LONGS volume-with the old medley(firth of fifth and musical box rock), and some pretty good newer long songs-Driving the Spike,Domino,Home by the Sea, and the infamous drum duet with Chester and Phil. one thing I keep forgetting-Phil is an awesome drummer-he does some great stuff on ATTWT.

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Moog Taurus » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:42 pm

The other day I came across some footage from the Lyceum gig that Genesis did on the Duke tour , it lasted for about 30 minutes and I think it was titled " Duke Suite " or something like that .
I found it on Youtube while doing a search on all things Genesis , if you have not seen it check it out .
It starts with Behind The Lines , Duchess , Guide Vocal and then onto Dukes Travels and Dukes End, excellent.

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:55 pm

That's the whole Duke suite played in order. On the album the songs are spread out the entire disc. "Duke's Travels" has always been my favorite Genesis song, very intense playing on that.
And now for something completly different...

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:37 pm

Turn It On Again is in that suite as well.
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:48 am

It's funny how they seemed to go back and get proggier on Duke with the suite and behind the lines, etc. Even Man of our times is a great song-however commercial. I can even stomach Turn it on Again and Misunderstanding much better than some of the later 80's fluff. ATTWT is just very spotty-where Duke had such a cohesiveness-haven't watched the youtube stuff of that yet-i bet that tour was awesome.