Speaking of side ventures - what about Susie?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Joe-×
Amateur
Amateur

Speaking of side ventures - what about Susie?

Post by Joe-× » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:15 pm

Anything in the works or hopes? She asked in her bio at this site - "any good advice for us fans: Nope. Have any for me?" Yes - record an all Susie disc! :D

I was going to suggest that she, Bethany, and Flo have a project called Warren Paris, but that already sounds too much like Wilson Phillips even without hearing a note of the music. :lol:

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:58 pm

Eeewwwww sick, Wilson Phillips!!
That's gross.
I lead the worship time at my church with some folks that do some great harmonies-and there's a running joke about how it must NEVER sound like Wilson Phillips- we gauge it something like this:
Wilson Phillips Harmonies=Bad, Indigo Girls Harmonies=Good!!

Anyway, I would LOVE to sing something with the Warren girls.
They're gooderns, that's for darn sure.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

wood-elf

Post by wood-elf » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:18 pm

The Indigo Girls make the sweetest harmonies this side of early Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Simply incredible.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:08 am

Susie's vocals on "A Remedy Raised" are really nice, and show a little different style and range for her. I'd be FIRST in line to buy any solo effort by Susie! Flo's "Practice Room" is great-everyone needs to check it out and spread the word. P.S. Do Susie and Bethany sing in a worship band at any local church. I think I'd have to miss my church one morning to experience that. They all have great, but distinctively different voices. Flo's voice is much different(to me anyway)on her solo-very folky and rootsy. Talented girls!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:11 am

Reepicheep wrote:Eeewwwww sick, Wilson Phillips!!
That's gross.
I lead the worship time at my church with some folks that do some great harmonies-and there's a running joke about how it must NEVER sound like Wilson Phillips- we gauge it something like this:
Wilson Phillips Harmonies=Bad, Indigo Girls Harmonies=Good!!

Anyway, I would LOVE to sing something with the Warren girls.
They're gooderns, that's for darn sure.
Reference-Harmonies on "Lissette" on the Belmont DVD!!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:18 pm

Hahaha, first time I saw this. Made me laugh, cause Wilson Phillips is lame.

8)

Anyway, once upon a time the GH girls used to do worship at Calvary Chapel.
Who do you think I'll be without you?

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:28 pm

wood-elf wrote:The Indigo Girls make the sweetest harmonies this side of early Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Simply incredible.
Yeah, they could harmonize, all the while playing some icky folk rock. I can't take a moment of their music. Then again, I HATE with a passion 99% of American folk music.
And now for something completly different...

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:35 pm

So, what exactly is your definition of American folk music? Or, rather, what do you include in American folk music?

On a slightly different note, you do realize that the majority of the music culture we have today has its base in American folk music, right? In particular, I'm thinking of the Blues.
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:15 pm

DruidsGlass wrote:So, what exactly is your definition of American folk music? Or, rather, what do you include in American folk music?

On a slightly different note, you do realize that the majority of the music culture we have today has its base in American folk music, right? In particular, I'm thinking of the Blues.
I'm refering mostly to 60's folk, stuff like Bob Dylan, Peter Paul & Mary, etc. which I find totally dreadful. I don't think of blues as folk music. But I must say, I much prefer the european folk tradition. It explains why I love English folk inspired albums like Tull's "Songs From the Wood" or anything by Gryphon. And scandanavian folk? I'm thinking of great bands that are influenced by it like White Willow and Aglagard. There is this slight dark tone to scandanavian folk that works real well in rock music.

The other problem I have with folk is its acoustic nature. Other than a good jazz trio or classical music, I want amplified, electric music. Something like California Guitar Trio would be an exception maybe. Of course they add all kinds of elements, from classical to jazz to european folk, and perhaps a bit of american folk, probably the songs I dont like, of course!
And now for something completly different...

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:33 pm

ahh, i see. just needed a little clarification. here's why:

"Blues - A secular, predominantly black American folk music of the 20th century, which has a history and evolution separate from, but sometimes related to, that of jazz. From obscure and largely undocumented rural American origins, it became the most extensively recorded of all traditional music types. It has been subject to social changes that have affected its character. Since the early 1960s blues has been the most important single influence on the development of Western popular music." -Grove Music Online (online version of the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians)
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

Lelulily

Post by Lelulily » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:51 am

No solo albums coming from this gal. I'll tell you why - can't play, can't write. And I can't see myself doing a solo album of covers or songs someone else wrote for me. That's what Britney Spears does. I don't mean to sound abrupt, but unless I'm just one of the pieces of a greater whole, say, like GlassHammer, I don't see the need. But thank you so much for the sentiment.

Oh, I would love to do some trio stuff with the gals. That would be fun! Ladies????

Joe-×
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Joe-× » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:54 pm

Lelulily wrote:No solo albums coming from this gal. I'll tell you why - can't play, can't write. And I can't see myself doing a solo album of covers or songs someone else wrote for me. That's what Britney Spears does. I don't mean to sound abrupt, but unless I'm just one of the pieces of a greater whole, say, like GlassHammer, I don't see the need. But thank you so much for the sentiment.
OK. It's fine. Let's just say that I hope that providence offers more greater wholes then! :D

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:18 pm

Lelulily wrote:No solo albums coming from this gal. I'll tell you why - can't play, can't write. And I can't see myself doing a solo album of covers or songs someone else wrote

Oh, I would love to do some trio stuff with the gals. That would be fun! Ladies????
A Trio project would be incredible. And I'm sure a couple of local proggers could write some awesome stuff for ya'll.
Hey-I got another idea-how bout an album of YES covers-say, SSOTS,Turn of the Century,All good people, wonderous stories,etc. Just a thought. Anyway, as another astute GH fan once commented"I'd buy a CD of her(Susie)singing the phone book! Ditto!