General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

The Crocidile Hunter's luck runs out

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:25 am

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegra...5001028,00.html

Ironically, apparently what he was doing wasn't even dangerous. It was just a freak accident! I'm bummed... :(
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:11 am

That can't be a fun way to go- a stingray barb piercing your heart....
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:47 am

He died doing the thing he loved...
Loved his shows .. :(
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:13 am

But... he can't die....
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:15 am

I was a fan. The Babb clan will miss him. Did he die instantly?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:52 am

Shocking! My daughter was such a big fan of him. These will be hard to tell her.
The world is smaller than you think!

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:46 pm

The page couldn't be found. :?

Dang, he's dead? :shock:

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:03 pm

From what I heard, the stingray's tail flailed his chest with the tip piercing his heart. Sorry to be so graphic there, but if that happened, he probably did not or could not have survived more than a couple of minutes without instant intervention.

I know he was an adrenaline junky, and loved nature and all its wonders of life we seldom get a chance to see. I will miss his adventurous and daring antics in getting us closer to the wonders
in nature.
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:28 pm

I know who should play him in the biopic:

[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

wood-elf

Post by wood-elf » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:33 pm

I have been very upset about Steve Irwin's passing. Evidently he was filming a program at the Great Barrier Reef entitled "Ocean's Deadliest" when the accident occured. There is video of him pulling the tail from his chest and then losing consciousness. It sounds like he died very quickly as the tail put a hole in his heart. What I really admired about the Crocodile Hunter was how he used his fame to educate the world on the importance of conservation and wildlife preservation. The guy was a true hero for his efforts and the world will miss him. I grieve for his wife and two young children.

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:00 pm

This has seriously been weirding me out for the last 2 days.
Josh and I watched a documentary about him last night and I had to turn it off because it was just too sad. It showed him in the delivery room with his baby boy, and then it showed his little girl saying how much she loves him. Maybe I'm still hormonal, or extra sensitive because I just had another baby, but I couldn't stop crying.
I'm going to stop thinking about it now.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:37 pm

I have to honestly say that I always thought Steve Irwin was a little "too" mush over the top for my tastes most of the time. But you have to admire anyone who is so passionate and excited about what they do for a living-and everyone they've interviewed has said it was no act-what you saw is what He we in REAL life. And that is very rare now a days. As a parent, it is extrmely sad. I saw a clip tonight with him and his daughter-she was helping him with a crocodile-He was passing on the family business-and she said with a big grin-"That's my Dad"-breaks you're heart. Also once again loudly proclaims "When its you're time-it's you're time!"
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:46 am

It's been odd observing Steve Irwin's career from Australia. The first couple of times I heard of him it was on American shows. He had the sort of personality that suited itself more to export than to local consumption.

My first impression on seeing his actual show was "This guy is an idiot." It took me a while to cotton on to the fact that he was a lovable idiot.

Of course the human tragedy is the worst thing. Whenever somebody high profile dies the family finds it impossible to turn on the television or read a newspaper. My heart aches for his wife and kids, and as for his father, no parent should have to see their child die before them.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues