CD Reviews

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

CD Reviews

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:41 am

I've been thinking about starting a new thread(and the moderators might even consider making this a new topic in the future)featuring our personal brief(or maybe not so brief) reviews of discs that would appeal to or interest the readers of this forum. So I'll start with the following, and see how it goes. Peace,David.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Jars of Clay-Good Monsters

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:08 am

JOC has been a fav of mine since their debut in 1995. Their are so many misconceptions about this band IMO(which unfortunately keeps alot of people that would really like them from checking em out). While I admire their songwriting depth, their musicality, and their uniqueness(esp. in the CCM market)-the thing I admire most is their ability to re-invent themselves sonically on every release. In seven studio releases they have gone from accoustic folk to folky alternative to beatlesque pop to more radio hooky pop to morednized hymns and old spirituals to their newest release-"Good Monsters."-which only after a few listens has convinced me it is the only disc where they reinvent themselves on almost every song. Honestly, no 2 songs sound anything alike. They might have similar spiritual tones, but this is one of the moodiest discs(a good thing IMO)I've ever heard. We have:in you face electric rock(Work,Dead Man,Take Me Higher),spiritual/gospel sounding(All my tears,There is A River),Quirky pop songs(Good Monsters),and probably their most effective type of song:pensive,moody,passionate(Oh My God,Surprise,Light & Heat, and Water Under the Bridge.) The only song I really can't get into so far is the duet with Leigh Nash(Sixpence none the richer)"Mirrors & Smoke". You have to keep in mind I am a big fan, but what I love about this CD so far is that I'd love it no matter who it was by. Dan Hasseltine's voice sounds so different, and there is such sparse use of accoustic guitars, that I think most long time fans will have a hard time recognizing it as a JOC disc at first-which again is a good thing. They have so much more to offer(IMO)than the limited CCM market affords and or promotes them as. They are also one of the best live bands you'll ever see. I encourage all JOC fans to run out and get it(nevermind the weird artwork), and all those Proggers out there that never thought you'd be caught dead listening to or buying one of their CD's-give this one a chance.Highly recommended. 5stars.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:01 pm

Great idea for a thread, even if I have no musical interest in your first review. But keep them coming! Maybe when I'm not so tired I'll post a review of my own.
And now for something completly different...

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Dream Theater-Score

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:06 pm

Ok a very brief review on something maybe a little more to the likings of proggers on this site. The new 3cd/2 dvd Live set from DT from their legendary 20th anniversary show at Radio City Music Hall last April. In a nutshell, the versions of the epics "Six Degrees of inner turbulence" and "Octavarium" with a full orchestra are MORE than worth the price or admission. The set list includes something from every CD(except "Change of Seasons"),even a demo from their "Majesty" days, and a rare outtake from the "Falling into Infinity" sessions called "Raise the Knife"-which is better than most of the cuts on that album. The orchestra plays a full 90 min. with the band. "Sacrificed Sons" and "Under a glass Moon" are other highlights-but there really isn't a weak cut visually or audio-wise. The sleeper is "Innocence Faded" from Awake. This is a very PROG friendly set list from the metal-proggers. MUCH more balanced than 2004's Budokan live set. All five members impressed me as usual,Labrie's voice is amazingly strong for a last show of the tour, but I've had a hard time getting a proper mix with the vocals on the 5.1 mix, but the orchestra sounds AMAZING!!!! And their arrangement on SDOIT is breathtaking at times! Portnoy and Petrucci are as amazing as ever, Myung is a little more in the mix(finally). The one that really shines here for me is Jordan Rudess-who gets more sound out of such few keyboards than anyone I've seen or heard. And what is this "Fingerboard continuim"-any help Fred? It's a combo af a steel guitar and keyboard soundwith a soft touch key pad. BTW he also plays slide on the intro to "Octavarium". And his 360 degree turning keyboard set is way too cool. Anyway-if you're a DT fan you'll love it, and if you're a DT fan who prefers they're more symphonic prog side-YOU"LL BE IN PROG HEAVEN!!! How's that for a different musical style from my first review? Ok-someon else's turn! C'mon Elric! Not too brief after all,sorry!David.

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:18 pm

I think he got the steel guitar thing from me :D :D And he stole the swivel keyboard stand from (80's) Tony Kaye, who got it from Mike Cotton of The Tubes. Boy can play, that's for sure!!
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:43 pm

Prog Music's Frank wrote:I think he got the steel guitar thing from me :D :D And he stole the swivel keyboard stand from (80's) Tony Kaye, who got it from Mike Cotton of The Tubes. Boy can play, that's for sure!!
What about the continuim fingerboard thing-are you familiar with that?-its awesome sounding-had a very Pink Floyd SOYCD sound to it. Did Tony have the swivel on the 90125/BG tours? Too bad it didn't elevate him to Jordan's talent status(LOL).

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:06 pm

I don't know what the fingerboard thing is- havn't seen it.
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

Joe-×
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Dream Theater-Score

Post by Joe-× » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:41 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:And what is this "Fingerboard continuim"-any help Fred? It's a combo af a steel guitar and keyboard soundwith a soft touch key pad.
If I had a extra few thousand bucks ($5290 - yikes) lying around and nothing to do with it, I would buy me one. They look like immense fun. Rudess also plays it on the studio disc, but I never paid attention to the instrument making the sound. I just figured that they kidnapped David Gilmour for the weekend and ran him thru a midi to mask the evidence.

http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/

Check out the demos. It's like a fretless keyboard with a strange case of the bends. Sounds like you can mutate any cool midi thing you've got. That Carla Scaletti stuff would sound awesome on stage with Radio Massacre International. The polyphonic capabilities are endless. The Edmund Eagan stuff is also cool - that muted trombone thing would sound perfect on a Dead Can Dance album. The Franz Danksagmüller organ mutations would be perfect for Glass Hammer.

Joe
Last edited by Joe-× on Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:32 am

Thanks for the info-it really is a cool thing to watch and hear played. So who's pitching in to buy Fred on? It's a steal at that price!!!!OK-enough with that where's the reviews audiophiles?