Newest glass hammer fan

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Newest glass hammer fan

Post by Reepicheep » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:27 pm

Hey everybody, I just thought I'd share my excitement with "y'all"...I'm an Aunt!!! :D (again!) My newest niece was born tonight..That makes niece #5. Anyway, I haven't posted today because I've been at the hospital...waiting! She's beautiful..her name is Clarity. So, since I played Glass Hammer CD's for my sister-in-law while Clarity was "in the womb", I'm hoping she's already a fan. I had been thinking about how cool Glass Hammer T-shirts would be, but we should really go one step further for the ultimate "Prog-baby" look and do GH "Onesies" and jumpers! Hahaha
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:47 pm

lol! That would be awesome! And give them a little glass hammer hat... and shades! Yeah! I'd make anthony (little bro - 2 yrs) wear it ALL the time, whether he liked it or not!
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Newest glass hammer fan

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:00 am

Reepicheep wrote:Hey everybody, I just thought I'd share my excitement with "y'all"...I'm an Aunt!!! :D (again!) My newest niece was born tonight..That makes niece #5. Anyway, I haven't posted today because I've been at the hospital...waiting! She's beautiful..her name is Clarity. So, since I played Glass Hammer CD's for my sister-in-law while Clarity was "in the womb", I'm hoping she's already a fan. I had been thinking about how cool Glass Hammer T-shirts would be, but we should really go one step further for the ultimate "Prog-baby" look and do GH "Onesies" and jumpers! Hahaha
Yea Flo! Everything went well I assume? You know I"ll have to hear the whole story cause I'm into the baby thing. See you Friday at 4:00? (She's cutting vocal tracks!) :bunny:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

: D

Post by EIwing » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:59 am

CONGRATS, FLO!! And what a completely cool name. I hope your sister in law is doing well! Congrats, again! That's so aweseome. :D
Who do you think I'll be without you?

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:40 pm

What's this I hear about a Glass Hammer hat...? :D
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:44 pm

Uh.. :oops: I'm just really random. She was talking about GH onesies and I was saying they should make little gh baby hats and... just... never mind. I should never express the random contents of my mind. ;)

Does she have a middle name?

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:59 pm

Wow, so many posts..thanks for all the well-wishing! It all went great. We saw her again today and she had the hiccups:) soo cute!
By the way, Stephanie, I think your hat idea is brilliant. Hey, what about a little GH quilt? Bib perhaps? The possibilities are endless!!!
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

Janie

Post by Janie » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:39 pm

congrats and best wishes...may she have a long healthy life filled with joy, wonder, smiles, prosperity, peace, warmth, and may she bring you much laughter...
love,
janie

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Re: Newest glass hammer fan

Post by johnc » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:15 pm

Reepicheep wrote:Hey everybody, I just thought I'd share my excitement with "y'all"...
What are you doin' putting "y'all" in quotes? That's how it's properly said. ::grin::

Truly wonderful news, Flo, and thank you for sharing. My most sincere congratulations to your sis-in-law and her family, and to you and your family as well. Fifth niece, eh? Time to start training the basketball team. :lol:

However, I find myself about to usurp the "newest GH fan" title you've bestowed upon little Clarity.

GH is a band name which has been on the edge of my conscious mind for a few years. Seen it in Progression magazine ads, in posts made on other mailinglists to which I subscribe, on the DragonCon website, and like that. My good friend and bandmate Sean, who contributed a few pics to GHFan.net's gallery, spoke well of the performance the band turned in at NEARFest. Good sign, that. He and I take quite seriously the music we listen to and make.

Glasshammer.com, eh? Good. Complete MP3s available for downloading, eh? Promising. Collected a few of 'em, and began listening this past Wednesday evening.....

.....great....

....jumpin'....

....Jehosaphat!!!!

To say that I find myself quite taken with this music, is a great, big, honkin' understatement. The first mp3 I listened to was Chronos Deliverer...and, folks...it was over an hour before I got to the next one! What an incredibly majestic sound! I've not listened to any other band for the past four days straight!

To Steve, Fred, and those of you who run GH.com, I commend you on the selections you've made available online. To folks like me, who prefer their music to be melodically advanced and have some, y'know, actual thought put into the lyrics, the selections are an instant hook. An acquaintance of mine, Shellyn (a NEARFest choirmember), recommended Lex Rex and Chronometree as a good starting point for me. Yes ma'am. : ) Placed my order two days ago, direct from the website. (Hopefully the band gets a better cut from website orders than from, say, Amazon.com orders.)

Other bands I dig? The big three are Rush, Kansas, and the Dixie Dregs. Others include ELP, Yes, Toto, and Saga. Keyboards-intensive bands, those; that might explain why I find myself so drawn to GH's music.

One way I can tell if a band that is new to me is one that may well have continuing appeal, is to see if the music makes me want to try to play it.

Oh yeah. Yep. Yabetcha.

Couldn't wait to get home to my bass guitar, to see if I could play GH music. So far the song I downloaded, that I most wanted to play along with, is Song of the Dunadan. Groovin'. Yet not so advanced that us mere mortal bassists can't jam along. :D

The sooner the arrival of the package with Lex Rex and Chronometree, the better.

johnc
Last edited by johnc on Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:39 pm

("Y'all" vs. "You guys"... I take it you're a southerner. But then again, you also have your "you betcha", though i'm guessing you say it a tad differently than country Minnesotan hicks. ;))

I love Chronometree, I love all the albums... But Lex Rex is going to blow your mind. The lyrics are SOOO COOOL!!!!! And the music is AWESOME!!!
I'm excited for you to get it. :-D But, uh... Don't get your hopes *too* high on all of the bass parts - i think Steve goes beyond the "mere mortal level" quite a bit of the time. ;) And wait till you hear Revalation/Chronometry!!!!!! I wonder what you would call it if it's beyond mere mortal level? Elvish perhaps? lol - Steve the Elven Bass Player. Never heard of an elf playing bass... but - who knows! - it could work. ;)

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:45 pm

"Y'all" vs. "You guys"... I take it you're a southerner
In Australia the plural for you is "youse" (souds like use). It is considered to be the height of bad grammar, but I personally think the height of bad grammar was getting rid of the word "ye" in the first place. Sometimes it's just useful to have a plural of "you", hence the reason people feel the need to reinvent it.

On the topic of Glass Hammer's music, I still think that they are the best marriage of strong accessible melodies with complex musical structures since the great Italian bands of the 1970's. Anybody else here like Locanda delle Fate?
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:19 pm

In Pittsburgh where I grew up, the plural of 'you' is 'Yinz' or 'Yunz' (with the 'u' like in 'push')

Gotta love those colloquialisms!

April