General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Christmas Tunes by Prog Artists

Post by esteban » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:22 pm

Hey folks,

For Christmas Day edition of Retune the Sky (and the two weeks following on the archive) I'm going to play the proggiest Christmas music I can find for my little Internet radio gig. But what with final exams (I give them, I don't take them...insert evil laugh here) and the continued frenzy about trying to move to Chattanooga, I don't have time to audition a bunch of stuff, if there even IS a bunch of stuff.

Right now I have a whopping three albums under consideration:

Jon Anderson - Three Ships
Neal Morse - Merry Christmas from the Morse Family
California Guitar Trio - TenChristmas Songs

Any other recommendations out there? If The Professor can find 'em, he'll play 'em! And give the recommender a shout-out if that's what floats your boat :wink:
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:34 pm

Some of the Fresh Aire stuff is proggy enough to get by, probably. Trans-Siberian Orchestra gets worn out these days but it should count as well. Jethro Tull did Christmas Song (Living In The Past) which isn't very proggy but probably would work- I like it. Of course there's ELP and Father Christmas (let's not get into the argument about whether it's pro or anti Christmas again :D :D) And now I'm out- there must be more!!
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:55 am

There are a couple of "Merry Axemas" Cd's with various guitar shredders such as Steve Lukather and Steve Morse-haven't heard them in a while.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:04 am

I checked on Amazon.com and Vol.1(Merry Axemas) has "Little Drummer Boy" by Alex Lifeson, plus Morse,Satriani,Vai,Brian Setzer,Eric Johnson, and Jeff Beck! Vol. 2 features "O Come all ye faithful" by Trevor Rabin, plus Lukather,Al DiMeola,Zakk Wylde,Neal Schon, and others. i haven't heard vol.2, but vol.1 rocks-from what I can remember. guess I'll have to order it now to get it in time to be burnt out on it by Christmas! If you can find Whiteheart's "Little Drummer Boy"-I know its on "Souvenirs"-its very proggy-and is the best ROCK version of that song I've heard!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:26 am

We're actually doing a version of Little Drummer Boy right now for a great singer named Mikala- maybe she'll let me post it.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:12 pm

I just downloaded Steve lukather's "Santamental" from itunes-I'll let you know how it is. It has Vai, Edgar winter, and others on it.

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:15 am

Well there's;

Jethro Tull - Ring Out Solstice Bells
Cliff Richard - O Little Town (very proggy!)
Squire & White - Run With The Fox

Also, there's this album. It always gets played around this time of year in Chez Ted :lol:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:02 pm

Jethro Tull's Christmas album is an obvious source. There are also a couple of albums by Loreena McKennit, but she is only prog if you use a very broad definition.

You probably don't want to use "Strychnine For Christmas" by Present.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:32 pm

When did Tull do a Christmas album??

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:47 pm

2003 they did it. It´s pretty good one it´s one of the few albums you can play at Christmas having your mother in law in house another one is Rick Wakemans Christmas Album and ofcorse the new from Blackmore´s Night.
The world is smaller than you think!

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:58 pm

FredProgGH wrote:When did Tull do a Christmas album??
It was around the time Ian recorded Rupi's Dance. The album includes a few of their Christmas songs from earlier albums re-recorded (e.g. Another Christmas Song), a few new songs and a few traditional songs given the same treatment Tull gave to Bouree (We Three Kings gets put into 5/4 and is called We Five Kings).

See http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/disp ... v=jt-tjtca
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

soulfreq
Amateur
Amateur

Post by soulfreq » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:17 pm

Here is a great prog Christmas album I *highly* recommend...12 25 from Ten Point Ten:

http://www.tenpointten.com/v4/html/musi ... stmas.html

You can download the single here:
http://www.tenpointten.com/v4/html/stage.cgi?id=33

"Gentle King" is a great original song, but not as proggy as some of the rest of the CD. Great stuff though!

Barry
DJ - Show Host - Not Afraid of Keyboards

Check out the Zine - http://www.soulfrequency.com

soulfreq
Amateur
Amateur

Post by soulfreq » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:35 pm

I should also mention that the aformentioned song "Gentle King" "borrows" a pretty familiar Yes bass lick from "And You and I".

:lol:
Barry
DJ - Show Host - Not Afraid of Keyboards

Check out the Zine - http://www.soulfrequency.com

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:45 pm

Merry Axemas is really good overall! I was not impessed at all with Alex Lifeson's "Little Drummer Boy", but Steve Morse,Steve Vai,Eric Johnson,Brian Setzer Orchestra,Kenny wayne shephard,and Hotei all have great songs here. Esp. Morse and Johnson.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:46 pm

P.S. And Jeff Beck does a very interesting "Amazing Grace"!