The Mars Volta

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

The Mars Volta

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:48 pm

I just picked up "Frances th Mute" yesterday. What a bizarre album!!!!, and group! Haven't decided if I like em yet or not, but my curiosity is PEAKED!!Kinda like a Crimson meets Zappa meets Zeppelin(Robert Plant sounding vocals)with everything but the kitchen sink thrown in including spanish lyrics. Also picked up an old "Radiohead"CD at McKay's=sounds OK so far, not what I expected. anybody heard em?, like em?, are appalled by them?
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:14 am

The Mars Volta are OK. I picked up Frances the Mute expecting to hate it, but I thought it had its good moments. Very much in the style of Jane's Addiction to my ears. One of the problems for me was that "L'Via L'Viaquez", which has the most immediately enjoyable writing, is also far too repetetive.

As for Radiohead, they are another band I am luke warm on. I think it might be because I approached it as a prog album rather than as an indy album.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:40 am

Still haven't got around to trying MV yet. As for Radiohead, I enjoyed OK Computer along with the rest of the world, thought Kid A was kind of cool and lost interest after that.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

rufusboy

Post by rufusboy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:32 pm

By coincidence, I'm listening to their latest CD "Amputechture" right now.

Their music is quite dense with various influences, and usually quite heavy - difficult to describe really. "Alternative progressive punk metal" is close I suppose. I find it hard to recommend to people even if I know their tastes well, because the music doesn't quite fit a mold, people with very similar tastes could love it, hate it, or love and hate different aspects of it. Many proggers I know are turned off by the vocals; they don't bother me particularly.

My advice is listen before buying.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:40 pm

It's really weird, cause I'm turned off and on by the vocals at the same time. in other words, they're not my cup of tea-but they really fit the music. I just got "Amputechture" too, and while I think I like the musicianship overall is a little better(than Frances), the songs don't seem to be quite as strong, and seem to meander a little more. Some of the bass and drum work are incredible, and whoever's playing guitar definetely has Belew,Fripp,Hendrix,Gilmour, and several others as strong influences.At times they sound like modern KC with a 17yr. old version of Robert Plant singing.Let's just say the most interesting new band I've heard in a long time!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Aswepe

Post by Aswepe » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:34 am

I've had Francis the Mute for quite a while & I still can't decide if I like it or not. I'm old enough to dislike it as Prog based on all that has come before (Yes, Genesis, ELP etc). But there are some very good moments in there. I will continue to give it the occasional listen & continue to refine my opinion of TMV. The jury is definitely still out on this one.
David

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:50 am

I've got all three now, and I have to say that "Deloused in the comatorium"(which was their first, and the last one I got) is the most consistant and overall brilliant IMO today. With their music, that could change momentarily, much less daily. I have rarely been moved by a group's music upon first listening except for maybe GH and SB. Even the flower kings, and others that I quickly got into took a little more time to acclimate to. It's amazing how dense, bizarre, erratic, bombastic, etc. this music is-and I can't get enough of it. and it changes, and I hear new things every time I listen. I'm trying to get Elric on board, and as many others to listen to see what they think. I can't see too many proggers being ambivilent about the MV, they'll either love it or hate it!