New Neal Morse

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

New Neal Morse

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:14 am

Isn't it nice to know Fred and Steve, that you all are by far not the most controversial proggers on PE! NM's new album is over 1 month away from being released and already being bashed(and praised some)-but the thread has over 100 hits all ready! The Man's name just stirs controversary! Oh yea-and this one is based on Martin Luther's life(it's called "Sola Scriptura"), so now the catholics hate him as much as the atheists,agnositics,Jews,etc.You have to admire Him just for the topics He tackles, and the stand He makes-much less the great music(IMHO). Go Neal!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:03 pm

Hey now, hey now. Just because I'm Catholic doesn't mean I hate him for his Martin Luther album - I don't discriminate like that.

I hated him looong before. ;)

(naw, just kidding, he's not thaaaat bad, just not my thing)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:32 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:Hey now, hey now. Just because I'm Catholic doesn't mean I hate him for his Martin Luther album - I don't discriminate like that.

I hated him looong before. ;)

(naw, just kidding, he's not thaaaat bad, just not my thing)
Finally-someone's who honest and says "He's not just my thing-instead of boiling everything down to his religious convictions! I liked him before He became a right wing fundamentalist wacko, and I still like him, and probably always will!!!!(Even if He's pulled over for being intoxicated and spouts off anti-semetic slurs).How's that?
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Aswepe

Post by Aswepe » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:32 am

My basic rule for musicians (& actors) is not to worry about their political or religious convictions. I like or don't like their works based solely on how the music (or movie) affects me.

Sometimes the subject matter will affect an opinion. Sometimes the art is enough to get past that.

I liked Neil in Spocks Beard & I absolutely LOVED TransAtlantic. Haven't paid much attention to him since then. He is a gifted composer & musician & I will probably pick up the CD regardless of the subject matter.
David

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:16 am

Nun: And remember students, you will lose marks for calling it the Reformation. The correct phrase is the Protestant rebellion.

Joking aside, I thought his previous album, ?, was on parr with the Spock's Beard album V. Not that I am a huge fan of either, but I thought they were both quite good. I would certainly listen to ? in preference to Octane.

And despite the fact that I found the "born-again" nature of Testimony nigh on unlistenable, I wish nothing but the best for Neal Morse, because he is able to create the music he finds fulfilling. I am quite happy to concede that my reservations are more to do with my own prejudices and preconceptions rather than his music.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

rufusboy

Post by rufusboy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:17 am

I've heard some of this - what I've heard so far sounds a lot like Transatlantic, more so than Testimony, One, or '?' (although with Portnoy as the drummer on all of these there are Transatlantic-y moments on each).

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Re: New Neal Morse

Post by SuperTed » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:07 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:You have to admire Him just for the topics He tackles, and the stand He makes-much less the great music(IMHO). Go Neal!
What's with all the capital "H"s? I mean, I know Neal's found God, but I didn't think he'd move up the corporate ladder that quickly! JC will be a bit miffed...:shock:

:lol: :lol:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:51 pm

SuperTed wrote: JC will be a bit miffed...:shock:

WHAT??? Who's usurping my place at the table???

:twisted: :P :lol:

(Thanks for feeding me that straight line, Ted old sod!!!)
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:51 am

SuperTed wrote:
yeshead 777 wrote:You have to admire Him just for the topics He tackles, and the stand He makes-much less the great music(IMHO). Go Neal!
What's with all the capital "H"s? I mean, I know Neal's found God, but I didn't think he'd move up the corporate ladder that quickly! JC will be a bit miffed...:shock:

Sorry, my grammer isnt great, but I thought you were supposed to capitalize pronouns.Another great example of someone taking something totally either out of context or writing something into a comment on Neal Morse. My last intent was to elevate him to any kind of religious status. He is simply a great artist(IMO), and a man of great passion for his work-like many others we know-Christian or not. and BTW-JC has alot BIGGER things to be miffed about.LOL,David.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:44 pm

Apparantely its gotten so bad on Neal's message board(the controversary and hateful remarks)-that He's had to shut it down. Steve and Fred know what He's going thru for sure. How sad.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:45 pm

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:30 pm

Wow! I suppose I shouldn't complain.
:x
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:47 pm

By the way, if you'd like a taste of the new Sola Scriptura release, my buddy The Lurker played two tracks on last Friday's (1/26/07) version of "The Healing Colors of Sound" which is, surprise surprise, an hour of Spock's Beard and related music on The Dividing Line Broadcast Network. It's archived for a week (OGG format only) so look here quickly to stream or download:

http://www.thedividingline.com/thcos.html

"The Door" is almost 30 minutes long! Shades of Transatlantic for sure.
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:44 pm

I wasn't able to download that, but the samples on www.nealmorse.com/newclips.asp sound great,esp. the last one which sounds like a mix of "SNOW" and something from DT. Paul Gilbert sounds alot like Petrucci there! Gonna be great!

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:43 pm

I have to be honest in that I am having a hard time swallowng this one. Not that I gulped down Neil's other Christian Prog Epics (as he likes to call them) like milkshakes on a summer's day, but as a fan of progressive rock I can appreciate their style and one of them was blessed by the presence of Phil Keaggy, whose playing I greatly admire. I am happy for Neil that his finding God has given him a sense of peace with his place in the cosmos but he really needs some grounding in basic principles of biblical interpretation, as does his church I would suspect since I imagine this is where he is getting his ideas from. As some one who has chosen the Catholic tradition over the many Protestant ones I have taken up the study of "Sola Scriptura" and of course Luther and the Reformation. There is no doubt in my mind that the Church in Luther's day was in need of reform and he was right to seek it. Christ's church on earth will always be in some need of reform at least to an extent because all religious bodies are run by fallible human beings. We all make mistakes. The good Lord knows there has been no shortage of spiritual tragedy in my own tradition, but to take these wanna be Chick publication labels of the Catholic Church as the whore of Babylon as referenced in Revelation and then graft that onto Martin Luther is asinine and shows a clear lack of spiritual maturity. What is worse is that ideas like Neal is putting forth here only fuel the fire of further Christian division, which is not what the Church needs. There are already over 300 Protestant groups in the world today, some of which split over such disputes as to whether or not a piano should be used in worship becuase pianos aren't in the bible and therefore are not scriptural. Herein lies my issues with taking anything to ridiculous extremes.

I didn't read what went down on Neal's forum but I can only hope that if the backlash had something to do with Sola Scriptura that it causes him to examine carefully the teachings and the wisdom therein of those he follows.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis