New Glass Hammer

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:33 am

As long as you and Fred still get to sing!

There *are* those of us who like your voices =)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:16 am

Yeah, I tried to make it clear that DT was just one element of the sound. Its still us. But honestly, I don't think I've ever heard ANYTHING quite like this is turning out. The strings are on another level entirely than what we've done before. They are sounding great.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Rjamesvln

Post by Rjamesvln » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:58 am

I talked to Susan yesterday. She said her session went well and that she'd be back in today!

Again, I can't wait to hear the finished project!

When will Rachel be in the studio? I hadn't heard from her yet.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:16 pm

She did about 3/4 of her part last night. She was sight-reading so there were a couple parts she wanted to go home and work on. Overall it sounded great though!
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:45 pm

The string trio's sound and performance was so different and vital to the performances at the Tivoli, along with David's increasing influence and harder edge, The shows at the Tivoli were as different from the the Belmont shows(even the duplicate songs played), as I imagine this CD will be different from TIS. DT is a totally different animal from GH, and always has been, so I never imagine them sounding like them. It just so happens that they share many fans(yours truly,David, and Matt included). It is interesting to know though what if anything Steve or Fred are currently listening to is influencing their writing(which we know that Steve doesn't listen to much "neo" prog anyway. I'm curious to hear how David, Matt, and the string trio's influences are changing the sound.Can't wait!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:21 pm

Got me a new puter at work. It does not have surround sound, but I am able to put Perelandra and Shadowlands in and enjoy them without causing a disturbance. A few people stick their head in from time to time to make sure I am doing work.....

Just an FYI :

You know these new recordings may not be safe. I think you may need some bodyguards there to make sure that no one steals them!
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:07 am

I will certainly be surprised by the music, no doubt.
But I have one very simple question..

Is it a concept album?

Everything You Say Can and May be Used Against You... :twisted: :lol:
Kidding
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:06 am

Thimon wrote:I will certainly be surprised by the music, no doubt.
But I have one very simple question..

Is it a concept album?

Everything You Say Can and May be Used Against You... :twisted: :lol:
Kidding
The new album is 'not' a concept album. Though some of the songs may have a slight connection lyricially - its probably nothing anyone would pick up on though.
And to answer a previous question....
Currently (this past year) enjoying but perhaps not influenced by....
Mew
Mum
Hooverphonic
Robert Plant and the New Sensations
Mugison
Leadbelly (ancient)
Sleep
Bitter:Sweet
Cream (Live-Royal Albert)
Royksopp
Devin Townsend
Radiohead
Frost

Still not listening to neo....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:04 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:Don't worry about this album sounding like DT. I am NO fan of DT or any other band that has imitated them. I have never made it all the way through a song by DT and I've only tried about twice in my life.
Wowza, no joke? Listen to Octavarium. It sounds like such a 70s prog song, and it is simply the best song they have ever written (plus it's an epic). They have a moog solo, and a Pink Floyd based keyboard intro. The middle guitar piece sounds like Genesis, and the middle section reminds me of a heavy version of the "Relayer" section of The Remembering (TfTO obviously)..... Believe me I understand you don't like DT, and no problem with that honestly. But give 8VM a chance, it is a song that everyone should hear at least once in life. :)

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:32 pm

Believe me - I have a lot of respect for Dream Theater. And I've probably listened more that twice. :lol: In fact, we (my old band) discovered them when I was on the road in 1990 and were pretty amazed that a 'prog metal' band was getting exposure.
Its mainly that I'm into different things these days. I still love my old prog fav's, but I just never got into any 'classic' prog sounds that were created after 1980. (Except for GH of course!) lol
I don't like prog-metal, but I do like the harder-edged bands like Opeth, Deven Townsend, Porcupine Tree and Mew.
Peace :D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:11 am

Tell me about Mew.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:49 am

yeshead 777 wrote:Tell me about Mew.
On the proggy side of pop... The vocals are a mix of Jon Anderson and GH multi-vox, the bass and guitar are also very Yes'ish in tone - the songwriting however, is more like U2, Tears for Fears, etc.
Check out The Zoo Keepers Boy. They may have a myspace site with some songs on it, but I haven't checked.
Wait....
here ya go...
http://www.myspace.com/mew

And a cool video here...
http://www.columbia.co.uk/artists/mew/q ... zookeepers

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:16 am

Thanks for the info!

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:32 pm

Dude, I have a couple of their songs from free iTunes downloads, "Special" and "Apocalypto". I had no idea they would have been classified as prog at all! More like... alternativey. Or something. But I like them. They're good in my chill mix.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:13 pm

Got "And the glass handed kites"yesterday, and have listened to it 4 or 5 times already on the new headphones Fred recommended-GREAT combination. Took me a couple of listens-but I think I'm hooked. Love the vocals and lyrics, and the rhythum section definetily reminds me of Squire/Bruford era. I now know why Steve likes em . And I love the way the songs all flow together-and have similar themes-almost like a long prog epic, even though the music isn't prog. i don't know who or what to compare it, cause I don't listen to very much contemporary music. The funny thing-I've become a big fan of The Mars Volta, Opeth, and now Mew-all very original, and very different from each other. The Mew reminds me a little of Radiohead-i only have "OK computer", but I like MEW much better so far.Fav songs so far are:"Louise Louisa","Zookeeper's Boy", and "Saviours of Jazz Ballet".Is theri older stuff any good?