Exciting news on the new album!!

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:45 am

FredProgGH wrote:Yeah... if you could inbreed on the internet I think PE is more or less what you'd get...

That's what you get for having such a broad range of sub-genres within one barely surviving genre called prog. Symph-prog (such as GH and FK) has more in common with pop and classic rock than it does some of the lesser known sub-genres of prog.
At NEARfest, everyone gets a standing ovation (I'd imagine) be they GH (we got 3) or Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.
Back stage, the two bands were polite and helpful to one another even though we'd never heard of each other. After the shows, droves of fans made their way to the band tables for autographs and to shake hands with the musicians.
All is well....
Then, 5 or 6 guys out of thousands decide they're going to ruin the party for everyone - and they kind of do. Its not a perfect world.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:30 pm

I think everyone knows what a sensitive subject this is for me,esp. lately.PE has been the best and the worst for me. I have to credit that forum for introducing me to everyone from GH to Echolyn, IQ, Riverside, Overboard, Porcupine Tree and so many others. There is a lot of information there about a lot of different genres. Everything from jazz fusion/prog like Holdsworth, Al DiMeola, Planet X, etc. to the metal stuff like Opeth, Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery,etc., and then all the symph/classical/art prog in the middle-GH,FK,SB,Neal Morse,etc. And then there's all the international stuff that seems to be on the fringe. This wide array of musical scope is one thing I LOVE about it. You notice everything I've mentioned so far is: ABOUT THE MUSIC! now, enter the picture: Human Beings!!!!With all of their biasises,prejudices, baggage, etc.-And you get PE. I just have to learn to not throw out the baby with the bath water. Maybe one day I'll learn without losing my religion and sanity first. Peace,David.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:46 pm

Yeah, well I pretty much agree- really the whole web is like that for me. I read, process what I need to and discard the rest, no harm no foul. PE really doesn't bother me.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:48 am

FredProgGH wrote:Yeah, well I pretty much agree- really the whole web is like that for me. I read, process what I need to and discard the rest, no harm no foul. PE really doesn't bother me.
My goal Fred is to be more like you-in that regard.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].