Mocin matië i andamunar ar tusturë.
3%

Total votes: 78

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kansas

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:54 pm

I love Kansas. Second favorite prog band. Anyone else here agree? You have to love Point of Know Return! That's an awesome song! and Closet Chronicles, and Nobody's Home! those are my main favorites.
But Dust in the Wind, Angels Have Fallen, Carry on Wayward Son, Cheyenne Anthem, and Miracles out of Nowhere are awesome too.

The only thing with Kansas is that they have their few throwaway tracks each album... or is it just me? Like *shudder* People of the south wind! Yuck yuck yuck!! That's so horribly eighties and eeew!!! i also hate What's on My Mind and the Devil Game, to mention a few more... :-p

But the good songs make it all worth it. my favorite album is Piont of Know Return, then Leftoverture. We also have Masque, Monolith and Song for America, but I don't listen to them as much. I just have a big mix of Kansas songs on my iTunes playlist... I haven't listened to it in a while and I'm just realizing how much i miss it.

So what are everyone else's thoughts on the matter?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:01 pm

lol... the vote thing got possessed and decided to put "Yes!" twice, so whenever you vote for "yes!" then it counts as two votes. I think we can interpret this as a divine sign... ;)

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:35 am

Y'all gotta love Sam. I've subscribed to this forum just today, and already she has made me feel most welcome. And now she starts up a topic on one of my three fave bands. Blessings upon you, my child. :)

I'm a musician in large part because of them. Original Kansas bassist Dave Hope was one of the two men who inspired me to take up the instrument, lo those many years ago. (The other one is Rush's Geddy Lee, if you're keeping count.)

Tops on my fun-to-jam-with list are songs like Miracles Out Of Nowhere, Icarus, Icarus II, Windows, Paradox, Portrait, Musicatto....ah, I could continue ad infinitum. Many folks tend to concentrate on the 70s-early-80s lineup as the defining time of the band, but I can find something to appreciate in every lineup, every CD. I dig the fact that their last three studio CDs were all recorded by different lineups; each has its own personality, but still, the same band. Sure, they have a song or two on most every album that I can do without, but hey, the band didn't consult me before they recorded those songs. And they're the ones laughing all the way to the bank. :?

(To try to keep this subject somewhat related to Glass Hammer...should I be motivated to purchase more GH CDs upon receiving and listening to LR and Chronometree, it'll be interesting to try to decipher steps of the band's evolution from CD to CD. It is my understanding that the estimable Messrs. Babb and Schendel have been the core of the band from the word go, but different musicians bring different sounds to the overall mix. A band can create a unique, identifiable sound from nothing more complicated than a specific combination of people.)

Now, if you're a musician, it's fun to play along with the CDs on your home stereo...but what if you could play with other musician fans who know the songs? That question was posed last year, and the answer was...a fan jam. There was one in Topeka in February 2002; I missed out, so I organized one a few months later in Atlanta in June, the same day the band filmed its concert DVD. I had waaaaaay too much fun at that jam--my personal fave songs on which I played were Portrait, Icarus, and Song For America. Short MPEG clips are available online somewhere, I think; I can hunt them down if anyone's interested. We're planning another fan jam for this October in Topeka.

I have no fave album by the band; each inspires different emotions in me, for different reasons. I'm no more-or-less happy with Leftoverture or Point Of Know Return (most fans consider these their defining albums) than I am with Freaks of Nature or Vinyl Confessions. What I am hoping for, right now, is that I'll find myself equally enamored with any GH CD that I happen to pick up off the shelf.

johnc
Last edited by johnc on Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:33 pm

:) Thanks johnc! :)

GH albums all have their highlights - and no "skip" songs. Welll... mostly. I'm not a big fan of "Somewhere Out There" from Live and Revived, but I listen to it just to hear all the noises at the end. :lol: Each album definately has its distinctive flavor. (mm... strawberry...) One of the #1 rated songs on my list (i have three tied for first place because I can't decide) is from the second album (Perelandra). Actually i think songs from every album make it up there. (Even though Lex Rex mostly dominates it. I don't think you're going to love all albums equally because lex rex rocks so much. ^_^)

And the good thing about GH is that none of the vocalists get extremely irritating when listened to for over an hour! Yay! I don't know why people always complain about GH vocals. Do people actually think Jon Anderson is better? :P Steve Walsh is good, mostly, except he's kind of whiney and kind of gets on my nerves after an hour or so. I like Fred's voice better though. And Walter's. And Steve's. (not Brad's! but yes, he's perfect for Chronometree and I couldn't see anyone else doing it. ;))

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:06 am

I hope y'all can download a Windows Media file that's a little less than 6mb in size. These two gave me the chills.

http://datamanos2.com/goble/pinn_lotr.wmv

and

http://datamanos2.com/goble/icarus.wmv

Yes, lotr does stand for what you think it stands for.

johnc

soulfreq
Amateur
Amateur

Kansas!

Post by soulfreq » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:18 am

BIIIG Kansas fan here...and Kerry Livgren, and AD, and so on...good stuff! I even like the non-Steve Walsh Kansas and some of the later stuff. I do agree on albums from Audio-Visons onward there are some throwaway tracks (remember that AWFUL Perfect Lover song that was tacked onto the Greatest Hits at one time?). But albums like Leftoverture, Point of Know Return and Masque have no bad tracks IMHO. I recommend the Ultimate Kansas double disc set released last year BTW-I don't think there is a bad track on there, and I like it better than the Kansas box too. :P

I play a lot of Kansas on my radio show BTW (hint, hint). Plus I have a lot of the Kerry Livgren solo stuff that I feature on my show to. I like that stuff a lot.

I saw Kansas open for yes in Nashville a few years ago...it was an INCREDIBLE show. Wow! :shock:

I also heartily recommend the Kansas Device-Voice-Drum DVD. Great stuff on that disc, wonderful song selection, and the boys are in fine form.

Yay for Kansas!
:o
Barry
DJ - Show Host - Not Afraid of Keyboards

Check out the Zine - http://www.soulfrequency.com

soulfreq
Amateur
Amateur

Wow John C

Post by soulfreq » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:24 am

Those Kansas clips are AWESOME. Very inventive stuff...did you create those?
DJ - Show Host - Not Afraid of Keyboards

Check out the Zine - http://www.soulfrequency.com

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Re: Wow John C

Post by johnc » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:56 am

soulfreq wrote:Those Kansas clips are AWESOME. Very inventive stuff...did you create those?

I WISH I had the imagination...no, they're courtesy of a guy named Mike Goble.

johnc

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:48 pm

Just watched the LotR one - lol! totally not what you'd expect for a soundtrack. It worked some of the time... But not all of the time. ;) My vote still goes to Howard Shore, even though i think Hans Zimmer should have been in charge of it.

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:28 pm

johnc wrote:We're planning another fan jam for this October in Topeka.

I'm leaving for the flight to Topeka tomorrow morning. It'll be an awesome weekend.

With a couple of months to plan it, the fan jam gelled nicely. The Traveling Wheatheads plan to do the following songs: Song For America, Icarus II, Icarus, Carry On Wayward Son, Hold On, The Wall, Sparks Of The Tempest, Miracles Out Of Nowhere (I'm slated to play bass on all the previous songs), Portrait, Belexes, Fight Fire With Fire, Point Of Know Return, Crossfire, Lonely Wind, Mainstream, Play The Game Tonight, Chasing Shadows, Dust In The Wind. From Kerry Livgren's "Seeds Of Change" album, Ground Zero. From Steve Walsh's "Schemer Dreamer" album, Every Step Of the Way.

I just counted. That's twenty songs. Weeeeeeeow.

We'll be holding rehearsals Friday evening and much of Saturday. Kansas show early Saturday evening, then the TWs play. So...you could say that Kansas is our opening act!!! :lol:

Would that Glass Hammer became famous enough to spawn such an event.

johnc

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:09 pm

So how'd it all go?

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:24 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:So how'd it all go?

I'll tell you while the impressions are still fresh in my mind.

A common impression left over from the first two fan jams, last year, was "if we only had more time to practice..." That failure was fixed this time. We got together mid-Friday afternoon and promptly went to work. We rehearsed some three hours, broke for dinner--

(You ever want to put the fear of God into a waitress? Walk into the restaurant and say "Table for 30, please." :lol: )

--came back and went at it for another three-four hours. We called it a night at, oh, 2AM. Right back to work by 10:30 Saturday morning, though. Kept on going til about 5PM, when we had finally culled the list down to the songs we felt we could present best. They are as follows, and the ones with an asterisk are the ones I played on.

Fight Fire With Fire
Play The Game Tonight
Chasing Shadows
the Device-Voice-Drum version of Belexes
*Icarus II
*Icarus
*Hold On
*Point Of Know Return which segued into the violin solo at the end of The Wall
Portrait
Lonely Wind
*Miracles Out Of Nowhere
*Carry On Wayward Son

We played for an audience of some 70 people, as I recall. Including Kansas violinist Robby Steinhardt and original Kansas guitarist Kerry Livgren, who wrote many of these songs. That could've been nervewracking, but it wasn't. Kerry's nephew Jake Livgren was our lead singer.

Have you ever really submerged yourself in a song? That's how I felt.

johnc

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:34 am

johnc wrote:
johnc wrote:We're planning another fan jam for this October in Topeka.

Would that Glass Hammer became famous enough to spawn such an event.

johnc

Would another band have to learn our material? And we'd just watch and sign autographs? Hmm...count me in!
:twisted:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:36 am

johnc wrote:
Sam Gamgee wrote:So how'd it all go?

We played for an audience of some 70 people, as I recall. Including Kansas violinist Robby Steinhardt and original Kansas guitarist Kerry Livgren, who wrote many of these songs. That could've been nervewracking, but it wasn't. Kerry's nephew Jake Livgren was our lead singer.

Have you ever really submerged yourself in a song? That's how I felt.

johnc

WOW! Very cool. Livgren would've made me nervous for sure.
Glad you could do this!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:12 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:Would another band have to learn our material? And we'd just watch and sign autographs? Hmm...count me in!
:twisted:

Precisely...except, it's not a matter of merely learning the material. It's more like, absorbing it. Listening to it many hundreds, if not thousands, of times, over the years. Paying homage, if you will, with your skills. Also, bear in mind that the Traveling Wheatheads (our pet name for the band, and obviously a take-off on "Traveling Wilburys") are not a real band, unless a band can have three different bassists and three different drummers. The other two bassists double on guitar, so they graciously allowed me to play on six out of twelve songs while one-or-the-other did guitar.

The main difference between this year's TWs gig, and the two that took place last year, is that we said, "if you wanna play, you must arrive early enough so that you can rehearse with everyone." We had two walk-ons who showed for the Saturday rehearsal and did just fine, so they were allowed to play.

The Internet has been a great boon to us; never would a fan jam have been possible to organize without this method of communication. Perhaps in the coming years, Glass Hammer's music will become well enough known--

(I was about to say "popular." Yah. Like that'll ever happen again with prog.)

--that enough musicians, who both want to play the material and are able to play the material, will want to make such a jam happen. One can never tell. The Kansas bandmembers are in their early to mid-fifties; the musicians of Glass Hammer are not nearly so far along. There's plenty of time.

MayorOfLongview wrote: Livgren would've made me nervous for sure.

I learned he'd be showing up shortly before we started playing...and instantly my hands developed a case of lockjaw. If you'll pardon the mixed metaphor. :shock: But I did get to shake his hand, get an autograph, tell him I've greatly enjoyed his music, and that I've been inspired both by his music and by his Christian example. He thanked me for telling that. Then I said "bye" and let him be.

Luckily, the lock-jaw-hand-whatever went away in time. I know he was there while we played his compositions Icarus II and Icarus, and perhaps someday he'll tell us we didn't totally reek. :lol:

johnc