4%
Mocin matië i andamunar ar tusturë.
3%

Total votes: 78

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:03 pm

I'm going to listen to Monolith again. As I recall, there are Angels in the Urantia book, but it's been awhile. Gonna go digging in the basement later this afternoon for the Monolith lp in what's left of my unpacked lp boxes!

I'll check out AD too if I can find any sound files on the net.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:39 am

Last night, I finally got my own vidtape of the November fan jam. And I was right--we were as good as I dared hope. Naturally, the rhythm section was solid as a rock. :D
FredProgGH wrote:AD was very good- better than Elefante era Kansas, IMO. There were a few cheesy moments but overall it was great stuff. Whish I had those albums on CD.
Some of those CDs are available for purchase from Kerry's label's website, http://www.numavox.com. The quality's a little more uneven than what I came to expect from Kansas albums--but AD didn't have that kind of recording budget.
yyzmoose wrote:I'm pretty sure Livgren's conversion happened a couple years before the Monolith album. It would then be surprising he would base Monolith lyrics on that book, though I'm not doubting it. I'm not much into lyrics, but I always wondered what inspired a song like "Angels Have Fallen". I really love the Monolith album, I guess I'm one of the few Kansas fans that feels that way.
Kerry's autobio states that the Urantia Book's worldview influenced his songwriting for the Monolith album, and that the song "A Glimpse Of Home" is about the Christ of the Urantia Book, not the Bible. His conversion was in mid-79, between the Monolith and AudioVisions albums.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:19 pm

I also noticed that there is a Best of Kerry Livgren cd out, which pulls togheter material from the 80's-90's.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:56 pm

I have that CD and its very good. I would love to have all of the original AD CD's again. I really loved Reconstructions! Alot more than "Art of the State"- kinda the opposite for most I think. His"One of several musicks" is an incredible insrumental solo CD-for which He won a Dove Award believe it or not. The Best of also includes "To Live for the King" with Ronnie James Dio-the song the Christian Right will never forgive Kerry for!(ha-ha)
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:14 pm

" "To Live for the King" with Ronnie James Dio-the song the Christian Right will never forgive Kerry for!(ha-ha)"

Why is that?

Speaking of Livgren and Dio, I always liked Dio's contributions to the "seeds of Change" album. One of them is "Mask of the Great Deceiver".
And now for something completly different...

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:54 pm

"To live for the King" is also off of "Seeds of Change". He got a lot of flack because he was a born-again Christian and assocciating with a known devil worshipper(or so the story goes)."Be in the world-but not of it".
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:47 pm

I don't recall that Dio was ever into Satanism of any stripe. Odinism maybe. For that matter, Black Sabbath weren't either. In America and Britain a lot of the trappings associated with heavy metal is all for show. There was a great Calvin and Hobbes cartoon about this. Now with certain metal bands in Scandinavia, Satansim (as the antagonist of Judeo-Christianity) Odinism, various pre-Judeo-Christian nature religions, and plain ol' Viking heathenism is alive and well. Dio is quite the showman however!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:11 am

True. For all the posturing all the Sabbath and Dio lyrics I can call to mind are very "beware of evil 'cause it sucks" oriented.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:24 pm

I agree-I used that "Tag"(devil worshipper)very tongue-in-check. Dio was a great performer-only time I saw BS was with him-much better than Ozzy-who was arrested for public drunkeness in Memphis the night I saw him w/Randy Rhodes-and He walked(actually stumbled)off stage after 40 min. or so.

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:45 am

If you ever read Kerry Livgren's book, also called "Seeds of Change", he is quoted as sayinging "Ronnie is no satanist". He definitely realized having Dio on there could be an issue for some, but he just really liked his voice.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:57 pm

I have that book, its really good-i know and all REASONABLE thinkung people know that Ronnie and most others in the 70's/80's that were tagged as Satanists were not! I've always found the quote that Kerry made about YES in that book interesting-He said that He always wanted to get into them, but just couldn't. Go figure.

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:33 am

I think the whole satanistic thing with Black Sabbath goes back to late 60´s where they changed there name to Black Sabbath wich was for a lot of religious people a Satanistic name. The press did the rest. Ozzy´s father made them where crosses to protect them from satan. The rest is history. It´s good you mention Best of kerry Livgren it got a very bad review here in Germany so I never listend to it but I see I have to correct this.
The world is smaller than you think!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:34 am

Just watched a documentary called "Rock School" that I DO NOT reccomend except for the fact it introduces a 12yr. old guitar phenom-but is 99% about the egomanicial teacher(who has very little talent as a teacher and/or musician). Anyway-He refers to Dio as a Satanist-and throws the "tag" around so much that I don't know if He was serious or not-and by that point, I really didn't care!!!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:53 am

Just read on Kerry's website that there's talk of a 25th anniversary remastered edition of "Seeds of Change" with lots of extras-hope it happens!!!!

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:14 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:Just watched a documentary called "Rock School" that I DO NOT reccomend except for the fact it introduces a 12yr. old guitar phenom-but is 99% about the egomanicial teacher(who has very little talent as a teacher and/or musician). Anyway-He refers to Dio as a Satanist-and throws the "tag" around so much that I don't know if He was serious or not-and by that point, I really didn't care!!!
Why am I now thinking of Jack Black and "School of Rock"? Great movie. I love when he hands out cd's to the kids, and the drummer gets "2112" and keyboardist gets "Fragile".