"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:15 pm

School of Rock might have been loosely based on this real school-bu this teacher makes Jack Black look like a saint.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:44 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:School of Rock might have been loosely based on this real school-bu this teacher makes Jack Black look like a saint.
Possibly, but my assumption was the other way around- they found a real guy to make a documentary about after School Of Rock was a hit. maybe not though.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:19 pm

I've been watching a DVD I picked up a while back of a made for TV concert filmed in Omaha,Nebraska in 82 with John Elephante-vinyl confessions Tour. And I really love it! Warren Ham guests-and He is Mr. Utility on Saxes,flutes,harmonica, keys, vocals-and don't forget the ever-important COWBELL!!!-which he bangs in full force on "Spark of the Tempest". Great set-list except that there's only one song from "Leftoverture"-COMWS. I'd forgotten how strong an album VC was-Windows,Diamonds and Pearls,Crossfire, and Chasing shadows are all great songs. John's voice is great-but you get tired of the blue jump suit and air guitar theatrics after awhile-but then it is the 80's!!! Great DVD if you can find it at a decent price.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:45 pm

I've seen that- like to have a copy of it. Warren Ham was much better utilized in AD, IMO, but he did OK in Kansas. That was back when people started to refuse to lug Hammonds around to play live but didn't have a decent substitute :D :D

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:25 pm

yeshead 777 wrote: John's voice is great-but you get tired of the blue jump suit and air guitar theatrics after awhile-but then it is the 80's!!!
If you ever mention to Elefante his antics from that concert vid, he's guaranteed to roll his eyes and go "aw, man..." :lol: He was doing his best Steve Walsh impersonation, and Walsh would ham it up on stage too. Give John an A for effort.

Back in 1990, I was lucky enough to find a copy of that videotape in stereo. I put it onto CD--Kerry's guitar is in one channel, Rich's is in the other, so you can tell what each one's doing. Diehard Wheatheads can debate long and hard comparing Walsh's voice vs. John's, but I have long held that, instrumentally, the band never sounded finer than on this recording.
FredProgGH wrote: That was back when people started to refuse to lug Hammonds around to play live but didn't have a decent substitute :D :D
Pity the poor roadies who had to haul around the band's two Yamaha CP-70 electric pianos. :twisted:

Oh, just remembered--to amuse yourself, try to find the spot where John can be seen mouthing one line and heard singing another--he flubbed the lyrics and, in post-production, they dubbed the correct words in.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:16 pm

johnc wrote: Pity the poor roadies who had to haul around the band's two Yamaha CP-70 electric pianos. :twisted:
Oh man, I forgot- you're right. Two of them!

Is that DVD legit or a boot? If it's a boot and mono we could rip it and add John's stereo soundtrack to it. If it's legit I'd like to buy a copy and see it again.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:59 pm

As much as I hate to admit it I bought it on Ebay for appr. 20bucks., and the way its packaged it's definetely a boot-but its professionally done for TV originally(don't know if it was ever aired). I think I read about it originally on ProgressiveEars. There were several available at the time. It's really good quality. I give the video a B+=esp. for that time period.,the audio is a good B, fairly good on my surround-sound(but obviously not in 5.1). I agree with the forementioned comments,this incarnation of the band sounds great!, And I think Warren's contributions are insurmountable-esp. on the older cuts! The vocals are crisp and spot on, and the mini-accoustic set of Hold On/Dust in the Wind/Chasing Shadows is INCREDIBLE. Robby's added violin part at the end of DITW is priceless. In the long run-Elefante's antics are not a big deal-his voice sounds so much better than Steve's has(since the late 80's anyway). What I love is that most of the fans(esp. at concerts)really didn't know about Kerry, John, and Dave's conversions-or stopped long enough to listen to the lyrics of this period of Kansas,-yet they are some of the most spiritually profound of Kerry's career! They were hearing many strong Christian morals and beliefs-and had no idea!

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:59 pm

The vid was aired on TV at least once--and it is why I became a fan of the band. Back in the early to mid 80s, Nickelodeon would sometimes show concert films on Saturday afternoons. I was channel-surfing one afternoon, turned to Nick, and came in at the beginning of "Crossfire"--natch, I had no idea who these guys were or what the song was. But after a minute of listening, I went and got my Brooklyn briefcase (my dad's name for my portable stereo), slapped a blank cassette tape in and hit Record, plopped it in front of the TV's speaker--and then sat there mesmerized, telling myself, if this band has records available, I will have them.

The video doesn't encompass the whole show, though. Left out are Fair Exchange (with Robby singing one of the verses), Miracles Out Of Nowhere, and a keyboard solo by Kerry. What I wouldn't give to have those on video.

I distinctly remember Nickelodeon also once aired a Saga concert vid. Missed the chance to tape that, tho. Grrrr.
yeshead 777 wrote:and don't forget the ever-important COWBELL!!!
Yeah, but there's no triangle. No wonder Superted isn't much of a fan. :P

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:58 pm

We'll get to see first hand if Kansas still rocks May 2oth in Cha-town! I saw them open for YES in 2000-and I was genuinely impressed-esp. since Steve Walsh's voice is hit and miss these days. the set list was great, and Robby was in great form-we'll see! Maybe Kerry will do a guest spot!

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:24 pm

Highly unlikely, at best--you have a much better chance of seeing Kerry sit in if you see the band somewhere near where he lives, like Kansas City or Topeka (seen him once in each city, in the past coupla years).

Never-the-less, hope springs eternal.

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:23 pm

Bad news, fellow Kansas fans.

Robby Steinhardt is out of Kansas.

You can read what I read--go to http://www.steve-walsh.de and click on the button entitled "Wait Until Tomorrow."

I heard a rumor of this last week, and was asked to keep it under my hat. This would appear to explain why some upcoming dates were abruptly cancelled last week.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:44 pm

Crud- that sux. He won't be with them when they com e to the River roast. Any idea what happened?? Walsh is pretty cryptic... I'm wondering if there were, er, reliability issues...

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:39 pm

Well.. its tough for me to say something on the net, but just from how well I know some of the crew and even some conversations I've had with guys in the band..

Message me if you want to know more about my theory
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:37 pm

I just drove in from http://www.kansasband.com. It's been revamped, and a familiar face has been added to the front page's picture gallery showing the band's current roster. Looks like they'll be fulfilling their gig commitments as early as the ones scheduled less than three weeks from now.