4%
Mocin matië i andamunar ar tusturë.
3%

Total votes: 78

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:53 pm

I kind of figured that would be the way they would go. I have to say I'm really bummed about Robbie- he's a great player and also a primary voice of Kansas. But DR is a worthy replacement.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:33 am

The setlist looks very interesting- http://www.progressiveears.com/default.asp?bhcp=1
The usual whiners and compliners at PE and kansasfans.com are up in arms cause they're playing alot of snipets of songs instead of the whole thing. I say a snipet from anything from Monolith,Vinyl Confessions,Freaks of Nature,etc. is better than nothing. Looks great to me. Who else will be there on May 20th besides the usual nerds?
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:36 am

5 songs from Leftoverture including Opus Insert and Magnum Opus-TOTALLY AWESOME!!! Wonder if that's ALL of MO?
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:37 am

And the funny thing is they're opening with a signature Robby song-Spark of the Tempest!

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sun May 07, 2006 10:03 am

All will be revealed to you on the 20th. But I gotta tell you, hearing these songs live will put you on your back in the wet grass. Last night's show simply blew me away.

Highlight of the night was hearing Black Fathom 4 with an excerpt from Crossfire in the middle--or as I've taken up calling it, Black Fathom Crossfour. :D I also enjoyed hearing Wheels. You have a duty--when they play these songs for you on the 20th, respond loud and long after they're done; this should tell Phil that the audience might actually enjoy hearing songs besides the concert standards, and he'll include more offbeat fare in future setlists.

Continuing the tradition of the violinist rubbing elbows with the fans, David went stageside to chat with fans during gear teardown. He and I have a few mutual pals.

It was very cool to see Billy take the lead singer's spot he has so richly deserved for so many years; he shone on Miracles Out Of Nowhere and Sparks Of The Tempest. He's also doing the frontman role that Robby did, and took a few seconds to plug the upcoming Works In Progress release. He doesn't have it all the way together yet; there were some where the stage was black and quiet between songs. He'll get better.

I like your current sig, Alien. An article from the Marietta (GA) Daily Journal quoted Rich Williams as saying he was left astounded to recently see a teenage girl in the audience singing along with most of the band's songs--"I was like, good grief, how did that happen?" 8)

(Of course, this same article also listed him as being the band's lead singer as well as guitarist. So I dunno how much stock to put in it. hehe!)
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon May 08, 2006 9:00 am

Okay John, i gotta know more!!!
1)Do they play ALL of MO?
2)Does David play any rhythm guitar-and how does his violin playing stack up against Robby's live?
3)How is Steve's voice?
4)Are they using lazers this tour?
thanks for the info-David.

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Mon May 08, 2006 9:49 am

Would someone pls throw a bucket of ice on Yeshead.....
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon May 08, 2006 10:05 am

Then I would be ICEHEAD! HEHE-come on, Elric you know you're dying to konw too. Since when have you refused to have me tell you a setlist before a show?P.S. what are you still doing up-didn't you work last night?

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon May 08, 2006 10:53 am

::debates with himself whether to answer the questions or make David, in anticipation, tremble and hang his tongue out::

:P :D

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon May 08, 2006 10:57 am

Have mercy!!!!!!!P.S.Hope I get my Belmont DVD first!

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon May 08, 2006 4:32 pm

I'll have a measure of mercy upon thee, peasant. (Did I mention I went to the Georgia Renaissance Festival recently?) One question per day will be answered. :twisted:

I remember David switches between violin and guitar on Icarus, Sparks, and Portrait; there may be a coupla others. And he adds a sorely-missed rhythm guitar to COWS. He has a different violin tone, more electric-violin-sounding than does Robby. Technically, he's right on, knows the songs, locks right in with Richard. One pal said his playing wasn't as "warm" as Robby's, though.

See you tomorrow. hehe

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue May 09, 2006 8:13 am

Thanks oh honored one! Glad to hear about the rhythm guitar on COWS-very sorely missed. They're playing Wheels too? don't remember seeing it on the setlist someone posted on kansasfans.com.-so why don't you post an updated set list also!!!Lets say I add a question each time you answer one-that will keep us going til the 20th-that's only if you approve you're highness!

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue May 09, 2006 10:24 am

Hehe! Thanks for playing along--but I got an attack of conscience last night--"why am I driving nuts the guy who saved a spot in line for me at the Satriani/Johnson show just a coupla weeks ago? He deserves better." :)

So here are the other answers: No lasers. Yes, you hear all of Magnum Opus, and indeed, they stretch one section out just a little with the addition of a solo-drum part. Steve's voice--he was on time and on pitch, and that's all I want from him, so I'm not really qualified to judge. To me, Kansas has been more of a showcase for songwriting than for singing.

Oh yeah, look for Phil's drum tech Eric Holmquist to add percussion parts to a couple of songs. He plays bongos on Sparks, and on Bull-Excess, er, Belexes, he actually plays a small electronic kit mounted on the drum riser. Phil used this same e-kit for the tympani sound that opens MO. Eric took part in the Atlanta 2002 and Topeka 2003 fan jams.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue May 09, 2006 6:12 pm

Eric's my boy! =p

Yeah, but will he come out like JT used to and play the bongos for Down The Road in full reastafarian gear? =p
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur
Location: hanging from the cobwebs in your mind, looks like a long long way to fall

Post by Losfer Words » Tue May 09, 2006 6:17 pm

This thread inspired me to once again rediscover Left Overture.
Listening to Magnum Opus and the "howling at the moon" passage always gets my attention. I almost wish they would have developed that more into a fuller song.

What's On My Mind is my current favorite track on it, I just enjoy the contrast between the calm verses and the bridge/chorus which rocks out more.

I see a copy of Monolith on the shelf which needs re-exploring too.
On a crystal morning I can see the dewdrops falling
Down from a gleaming heaven, I can hear the voices calling
When you comin' home now, son, this world is not for you