Where's the Rhodes?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

carltonh

Where's the Rhodes?

Post by carltonh » Wed May 02, 2007 1:18 pm

I got a Rhodes piano not long ago and love it. However, I've noticed that I hardly ever hear it in progressive music, despite the heavy use of keyboards. Why is that? With my guitar effects pedals into my Pritchard amp or a tube amp I can get so many sounds out of it. I can make it sound like a great organ and some synth sounds too using fuzz and overdrive pedals. With phaser, chorus, delay, and wah pedals you can do so much too. The only prog album I remember with relative certainty of it being there was Chris Squires debut solo album, but even that was on some jazzy songs.

So has Glass Hammer used a Rhodes before? If so I didn't notice. Which songs? Maybe they ought to try one for their next album.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed May 02, 2007 6:08 pm

Was looking in and saw this...

Patrick Moraz used Rhodes all the time, and so did Kerry Minnear (Gentle Giant) along with his trusty Wurlitzer EP. But you're right, it's not a big prog keyboard; I think it seems to light and/or jazzy for a lot of players who would rather have a real piano. It's funny you would mention that, because I was thinking much the same thing and I put a very long Rhodes solo on the new album. So there you go- great minds must think alike! *lol*
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed May 02, 2007 8:19 pm

Ooh, nifty! =)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

carltonh

Post by carltonh » Thu May 03, 2007 5:51 pm

That's great! The only Patrick Moraz I'm familiar with is Yes' Relayer album. I'll have to listen to that again, but is there any other great Prog from him? I'll have to listen to my Gentle Giant albums again too. Curious how GH will fit the Rhodes in the prog sound mix.

Of course, with the right guitar pedals, my Rhodes can be as thick and heavy as a B3. It does seem funny that harpsichords are 100x more common in Prog than Rhodes. I like moderately dirty Rhodes for Chopin like stuff, as I relearn Nocturn in E-flat and such. I got turned on to Rhodes (I'm mainly a guitarist) when hearing the band Johnny Society perform with an overdriven Rhodes into a vintage Fender Vibroverb or Pro. It has been my favorite keyboard tone ever since, even though it wasn't in a prog band. Not as angelic as pipe organ or harpsichord... in fact it can sound downright slutty in a too appealing way. :D

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Mon May 21, 2007 1:07 pm

Another place to find heavily processed Rhodes - to my ears at least, I may be deceived - is the new Porcupine Tree album. IIRC, the tune (opus actually) "Anesthetize" features some nastily distorted electric piano.

You can also hear Rhodes on the older Happy The Man records/discs, and I believe the reformed HTM release "The Muse Awakens" has some too, even though original keyboardist Kit Watkins did not rejoin.

Geuss that should be "re-formed" HTM, not "reformed"...they haven't become Presbyterians, to my knowledge :lol:
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.