The New Porcupine Tree Album

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

StepSeven
Amateur
Amateur

The New Porcupine Tree Album

Post by StepSeven » Wed May 02, 2007 5:14 pm

Have you guys heard the new PT album, Fear of a Blank Planet? I have to tell you, it's right up there with some of the best albums I've ever heard, including Close to the Edge, Lex Rex, Selling England by the Pound, UK, Paranormal Humidor, Wish You Were Here, and a couple of my other all time favorites. Steve Wilson and company really did themselves proud with this one.

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Wed May 02, 2007 5:34 pm

Oh, I guess I have listened to it about 10 times now.......

AYE, WOW, disturbing, but I have to agree with a lot of Steve Wilson's lyrics. The last song reminded me a bit of Zeppelin's Kashmir with a Beatles twist.
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

StepSeven
Amateur
Amateur

Post by StepSeven » Wed May 02, 2007 9:22 pm

Elric wrote:Oh, I guess I have listened to it about 10 times now.......

AYE, WOW, disturbing, but I have to agree with a lot of Steve Wilson's lyrics. The last song reminded me a bit of Zeppelin's Kashmir with a Beatles twist.
You're absolutely right about that ... this is a very sad and dark album, and it doesn't have a very happy ending either. But as a concept album, it's brilliant. A very raw commentary on the state of youth in Western culture, some songs can actually bring a tear to your eye. This album is almost like a disturbing anthem for so much of both the privileged and under-privileged youth in our society.

Regarding influences, I also hear some Beatles in there, especially from the John Lennon "I Am The Walrus" school. I also hear some hints of ELO-style orchestration sprinkled here and there throughout. And I even detect a few nods to King Crimson ... which makes sense since Robert Fripp guests on the album.

The music is first rate and the story flows exceptionally well from one piece to the next.

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Thu May 03, 2007 2:58 pm

It´s funny but I heard PT live in December and they played one hour of new material from the new album and I really loved it, so I had great expectations off the new album. To me it was a small dissappointment as I felt that the songs really was harder and had more edges as on the album. To me it sounds like a soft version of the material. Anyhow I like the album alltough.
The world is smaller than you think!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu May 03, 2007 8:08 pm

The album is dark in tone and lyrical content, but not near as hard-edged as I expected-still great though, but will be tough to top DW or IA, or even SD in my book, but its close!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Moog Taurus » Fri May 04, 2007 5:56 am

Good album , gets better the more I hear it .
Stand out track for me is Anesthetize there's a Alex Lifeson solo which is easily picked out of the epic piece.
I like the direction the band has moved in over the last few years the last four CDs of theirs have made their way on my CD player quite alot of late 8)

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri May 04, 2007 8:40 pm

"Way ot of Here" and the title track are my favs along with the mid-section of "Anesthetize"."My Ashes", "Sentimental", and "Sleep Together" are still growing on me-really starting to get into "My Ashes"-esp. the lyrics. Not quite "Lazarus", but very haunting still!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri May 25, 2007 12:12 am

It still doesn't rank with In Absetnia,Deadwing,or Stupid Dream IMO-but its a close fourth!It's just very moody and dark-and the others seem to vary much more.Almost like Salem Hill's "Robbery of Murder", and Ty Tabor's "Safety"-can be very depressing-esp. lyrically, and I have to take in smaller doses. To me,"Stupid Dream"is a masterpiece thru and thru-it doesn't wane towards the end like IA and DW.FOABP is very consistent too though-the last two songs are two of the best. GREAT BAND!!!!

Mickstafa

Post by Mickstafa » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:06 pm

I've listened to it maybe 5 times through now, and while I like it, I still prefer some of the songs off of Deadwing and In Absentia. The last Kashmir-ish track is amazing though!

Great album. Also, pick up Blackfield II if you like FoaBP. It is similar; both Blackfield albums are a kind of simplified, condensed PT.
http://www.micklarkins.com/

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:16 pm

I just picked this one up at NEARFest, and I absolutely LOVE it!

Definately on the dark side, but it's very polished and fun to drive/play video games to
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03