Snakes And Arrows

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Snakes And Arrows

Post by Moog Taurus » Thu May 03, 2007 2:10 pm

The new Rush CD arrived on Monday and It's sounding better every time I hear it :D
Not as " in your face " as the last work and the sound quality is much improved .
I still wish they would do more instrumental pieces on their albums and reduce the amount of actual songs , I long for the glory days of the seventies.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu May 03, 2007 8:17 pm

I am very impressed with it overall so far-after 4 or 5 complete listens."The Way the wind blows" with its bluesy beginning,and great hooks is definetely my fav, and the best song they've done in years IMO.All the instrumentals are good, but "The main monkey business" stand-outs, the other two-including the beautiful accoustic "Hope" from Alex are just too short. "The larger Bowl" and the closer "We Hold On" are other highlights. The only real lowlights for me so far are "Spindrift" and "Good News First"-but they're still better than just about anything off of VT.It definetely reminds me of TFE with some 70's guitar riffage in places. Alex's solos are sparse, but very tasteful.I give it a strong 8 out of 10.Highly reccomended for any RUSH fan!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Moog Taurus » Fri May 04, 2007 5:46 am

My favourite track at the moment if Faithless , I wish also that Malignant Narcissism could have gone a little further especially Geddy's bass playing .
Kind of reminded me of a John Paul Jones track called Zooma if I remember 8) .
I enjoyed Vapor Trails but this album is more in the Rush groove and Alex using a fair bit of acoustic is most welcome :D

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri May 04, 2007 4:10 pm

Alex's accoustic touches really bring a different flavor and feel to the whole album. Just wish Geddy would have used the mellotron/and or other keys a little more.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:59 pm

I'm liking this more and more with every listen. The only cuts i really can't get into too much are "Spindrift"(which everyone seems to like),and "Good News First" which means its probably up there with anything since PW(IMO).Every album since I've usually disliked at least 3 or 4 songs, and in the case of VT-every song but one or two.I think "Working them Angels", "The Way the Wind Blows", "The Larger Bowl", and "We Hold On" are CLASSIC RUSH!!!