Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Steven Wilson comment on Yesfans

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:00 pm

Check this out and see if you agree/disagree and why:
A Steven Wilson Comment on Yes fans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This ia an interesting statement Steven Wilson made in an interview , regarding playing to Yes fans.Q: As you had mentioned, in late 2002, PT opened a series of shows for Yes throughout the
U.S., and in reading reviews that concertgoers sent in from the shows, there were admittedly a handful of Yes fans that said they just didn't "get"the music (perhaps they just didn't try to "get it"), but there were scores more of these people that had never heard of PT until they saw the
band that night, and claimed that they immediately went out the next day to purchase In Absentia! You have actually toured the U.S. as far back as 1999 with PT? How do you feel about playing to American audiences?
A: American audiences = fantastic. Yes audiences = suck! I think the problem was that most of the people who came to see Yes had stopped caring about new music many years before (ed note: I would have to agree very strongly with Steven's statement here), and were really there just to hear their favourite Yes oldies. A much better experience was when we toured the US with Opeth, which was a lot of fun.

The operative word here is "MOST", and I think He is pretty accurate, and not just Yesfans-but any of the classic prog rock bands still around. That what makes bands like PT so unique-they appeal to modern rockers and old prog geezers like me. I have to hand it to Rush too-they are one of the few older bands that keep up with the modern trends and sounds, and try(not always effectively) to stay on the cutting edge. At least He didn't say "ALL".Does that mean I should or shouldn't wear my "Yesfans" shirt to a PT show-if they ever come back to Atlanta???
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:02 pm

A postscript to this story: I didn't see PT open for YES, but heard and read enough about it to check them out-this is how I got into them, and consequently Elric and countless other friends and family.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu May 24, 2007 10:39 pm

Well, I think a large amount of Yes fans- probably a majority- are not prog fans per se. At least, not in the sense that they know there is still good new music about. They are in fact just old fans who are still into a great band from their youth. Of course, a lot of them have kids now- I'd be interested to know how many of the younger fans reach out through the net and find other prog bands.
But I know Steve and I get bummed because the Yes audience at large has no idea who we are.

We're hoping a guest appearance this time out might get a little notice from that camp :D :D
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:53 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Well, I think a large amount of Yes fans- probably a majority- are not prog fans per se. At least, not in the sense that they know there is still good new music about. They are in fact just old fans who are still into a great band from their youth. Of course, a lot of them have kids now- I'd be interested to know how many of the younger fans reach out through the net and find other prog bands.
But I know Steve and I get bummed because the Yes audience at large has no idea who we are.

We're hoping a guest appearance this time out might get a little notice from that camp :D :D
Can't wait for that guest appearance BTW!!!!!! I agree with you about the YES audience not knowing who you guys are either. I posted on Yesfans back during the Tivoli concert and at other times and got little response.You know when you first stated that a majority of Yes fans are not PROG fans per se, I thought-no-you're wrong. But now that I think about it, you're absolutely right!How many old YES fans have heard of GH,Salem Hill,Spock's Beard.Flower Kings,Transatlantic,Echolyn,Aryeon,Porcupine Tree,Threshold,Vanden Plas,Dream Theater,etc.,etc.-the end is listless.And even older PROG like Gentle Giant,Camel,Marillion,Happy the Man,etc.I do disagree with him on one thing-I think most die hard 70's YES fans(and RUSH fans too)just don't want to hear All Good People/Roundabout or Spirit of the Radio/Tom Sawyer/Limelight/Freewill every show-We want the deeper cuts!I like Steve cause He's so outspoken about his convictions,and usually right, but that doesn't mean I always agree with him. In the same vein, I wander what DT thought about they're show with YES, and how many concert-goers went out and bought "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence"????

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri May 25, 2007 12:22 am

I have a feeling if fans would let Yes get away with not playing Roundabout or All Good People they'd drop it in a heartbeat. You and me are sick of them but a lot of the sort of non hard core fans know those hits and want them.

I bet no one would shed a tear for the loss of Rhythm Of Love and Owner Of A Lonely Heart though! Maybe OoaLH but screw 'em. Steve don't play Trevor *lol*

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri May 25, 2007 12:30 am

FredProgGH wrote:I have a feeling if fans would let Yes get away with not playing Roundabout or All Good People they'd drop it in a heartbeat. You and me are sick of them but a lot of the sort of non hard core fans know those hits and want them.

I bet no one would shed a tear for the loss of Rhythm Of Love and Owner Of A Lonely Heart though! Maybe OoaLH but screw 'em. Steve don't play Trevor *lol*
Actually ROL has been pretty good in 98 and 2004 when I saw them do it. One of the few parts Billy Sherwood played that made a difference in 98-and it sounded really good, and in 2004 with Jon going into the crowd-was really cool!Didn't care for Steve's solo too much, but Rick's was cool too.I think there are quite a few old foggies that drag or willingly bring their kids, but there doesn't seem to be an independent young fan base like RUSH has-they're shows this year will be close to or complete sell-outs, and they're talking about adding some arena shows in November incl. two at Madison Square Garden-YES barely(if they did at all)sold out MSG for one show in 2004.It helps when you're putting out vital NEW material."MindDrive" helped the YES set in 2004, but they didn't have much else from recent years to offer."Homeworld","In the Presence Of", or "Children of the Light" would've been good additions.But you have to hand it to em for going deeper in the 70's catalogue-hopefully RUSH will follow suit this year!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri May 25, 2007 12:59 am

Yeah- Magnification was a very good record but it doesn't work live without the orchestra IMO. They just don't rock like Rush does. If the did a real prog album it would appeal to a lot of people but I can tell you- that's the LAST thing on Jon's mind and what Jon sez, goes :p

Now if we could get Chris to make Fish Out Of Water II- Dude... :D

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri May 25, 2007 2:06 am

FredProgGH wrote:Yeah- Magnification was a very good record but it doesn't work live without the orchestra IMO. They just don't rock like Rush does. If the did a real prog album it would appeal to a lot of people but I can tell you- that's the LAST thing on Jon's mind and what Jon sez, goes :p

Now if we could get Chris to make Fish Out Of Water II- Dude... :D
Speaking of FOOW-they're releasing a remastered disc with extras!!!That's a must buy fer sure! I could go for an "Olias II" also.I like about half of Magnification, and actually I like The Ladder alot, but don't listen to either too much anymore. The Keys to Ascension studio tracks are all pretty good. If they could come together and write something along those lines, otherwise-don't even try, and just give us a 40th anniversary farewell tour with all of the usual fan favs Steve Wilson was talking about(HEHE).
Last edited by yeshead 777 on Fri May 25, 2007 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri May 25, 2007 2:08 am

FOOW release date-June25th!!!

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu May 31, 2007 10:30 am

So true what is being said here. I really never need to hear Roundabout or anything from the Yes Album live (save for Perpetual Change) again. The last time I saw them in 2002 was a really nice gig and I said to myself after the gig it might be a good place to stop in terms of me going to see them everytime out. I dig Magnification, but agree with Fred about that record live.

I remember reading some comments Anderson made after that album came out about how dissapointed he was that Yes had made what he felt was a lovely record and hardly anybody noticed. I think this goes a long way towards explaining his feelings regarding future projects, though I will be interested to see if they do any new material next year for their 40th anniversary. Steve seems pretty busy with that abysmal Asia band, perhaps out of boredom and the nostalgia factor seems high with the band. For me, the material they did with John Payne was better, but I digress as I don't really care for Asia in any form. Rabin would have fit in just right with that band.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:38 pm

not exactly Fish Out of Water II but it is expanded!

http://www.yesworld.com/

Mickstafa

Post by Mickstafa » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:17 pm

Chris Squire's new album (which hopefully will be similar to FOoW) is scheduled to come out later this summer, so I hear.

And Jon is also doing a new Olias piece, centering on the son of Olias. Last we spoke, the project was moving forward. But Jon is so involved with many projects, I hope some can come to completion.....

On a side note (perhaps not really too much of a "side!!") I look forward to the "guest appearance" on the new album..... ;) ;)
http://www.micklarkins.com/

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:21 am

Hey Mick, good to see you here! Yes (no pun intended), many good things are in the works- let's hope they get completed... :D

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:03 pm

I would most welcome a son of Olias!

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:37 pm

I didn't read this thread until today. Can't say I disagree with Steven Wilson at all. I know plenty of Yes fans that know nothing of the current prog scene. These are people that don't search out new music anymore. That may seem so odd to people like us, but it seems to be the norm for most people. You would think anyone into music as adventurous as Yes would love to hear more music in that vein. There is a huge untapped audience of older Yes, Genesis and ELP fans out there. But a way of reaching them? I have no idea, other than tying them up and putting on an iPod filled with bands like GH, Flower Kings, Salem Hill, etc.
And now for something completly different