Rush-a new perspective

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Rush-a new perspective

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat May 26, 2007 4:42 am

While preparing for the upcoming show, and going thru pretty much the whole catalogue-most recently "All the World's A Stage","Signals","Exit Stage Left","Counterparts",TFE,Presto,GUP,and a few others.I decided to pull out what I considered the worst-Roll the Bones and Vapor Trails. Was I completely wrong before-well,yes and no.Time really does change perspective. I will say I'm really digging VT-haven't heard it in 2 or 3 years,except for the live cuts they did.I still don't like alot of the arrangements,and the mixing,or the total lack of guitar solos-but most of the songs themeselves are really good. And Geddy and Neal's playing is stellar throughout!Now I wouldn't mind hearing songs like Secret Touch,The Stars Look Down,Freeze,Sweet Miracle, or Out of the Cradle live!Anyway-on to RTB.Me off all people should never discount a total album because of a total aversion to one song(in this case-the title song, and mostly cause of the rap).I've always liked Dreamline,Bravado, and Ghost of A Chance, but songs like "Face Up", "Neurotica", and "Bet your life" are great!!!What was I thinking back then?Anyway, my whole point is"with RUSH and so many others thst have huge catalogues(GH included)-we tend to write off things we don't like when the first come out, or we first hear them-we need to go back and give them another chance."On to Evermore" is the GH one I really apprecciate now more than I did originally.Does this mean we could go back and now love "Open Your Eyes"?-probably not-but its stilla YES album!Anyway-thoughts?????
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

rufusboy

Post by rufusboy » Sat May 26, 2007 7:38 am

"Secret Touch" was in the set list in 2002. VT is a heavier, more in-your-face album than the new one and for me (aside from the too-hot mix) stands the test of time as a very good release. RTB I played incessantly when it first was released, very rarely now - it's OK, not really remarkable.

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu May 31, 2007 10:22 am

All the Rush albums hold up for me, which is saying something considering how long that band has been at it. I enjoy the material on Vapor Trails quite a lot, but the recording is painful to these ears. Compressed to death.

the new record sounds much better.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis