General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Genesis set list for Helsinki 6/11/07

Post by theHermit » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:41 pm

Set list for Genesis's concert last night in Helsinki

Not bad, except for Invisible Brain I Can't Dance, which are just terrible songs. Ripples is what surprises me. One of my all time favorite songs.

Behind the Lines (instrumental intro)~Duke's End~Turn It On Again
No Son Of Mine
Land of Confusion
In The Cage~The Cinema Show (instr.)~Duke's Travels (instr.)~Afterglow
Hold on My Heart
Home by the Sea~Second Home By The Sea
Follow You Follow Me
Firth of Fifth (instr.)~I Know What I Like
Mama
Ripples
Throwing It All Away
Domino
Drum Duet~Los Endos

Tonight Tonight Tonight (vocal part)~Invisible Touch
I Can't Dance
Carpet Crawlers
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Genesis set list for Helsinki 6/11/07

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:47 pm

I tried color coding the list into

Awesome!
Meh.
I'd rather jam an icepick in my ears

and it came out like this:

No Son Of Mine
Land of Confusion
Hold on My Heart
Follow You Follow Me
Mama
Ripples

Throwing It All Away
Domino
Drum Duet~Los Endos

I Can't Dance
Carpet Crawlers

The "meh" stuff is all stuff I like fine, I'm just either burned out on hearing it live or don't see the need to waste time with better material available.
All in all, not bad, I suppose, but not worth the money I think they'll be charging. Honestly, I think they would have had to do a radical set list to get me there- this is basically what they've been playing since 1980 as far as the old stuff goes. Ripples is groovy though.

Actually, I would even get excited if they threw ABACAB and Dodo/Lurker in there- that would be cool!
Last edited by FredProgGH on Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:33 am

that color coded set list is brilliant Fred! I agree that given the ticket prices Ripples would not get me there. Plus it would be a trek for me now given that I don't live near a major city. I really have a hard time stomaching I Can't Dance and Invisible Touch.

Here is a clip I found on youtube of the band rehearsing Ripples. Sounds like they brought the key down a notch:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4yeZmZHT3OA

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:05 pm

You would have had to throw in PG,SH and Return of the Giant Hogweed and The Grand Parade of lifeless packaging for 227 bucks!!!!!!

And I still wouldn't have gone-cause I'd be paying for a divorce, if my wife ever found out I paid 227 bucks for a concert!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:07 pm

Actually, the latest PG tour setlist is fantastic- much more stuff from the first four albums. check out Tony Levin's website-some great pictures. Too bad its not touring the states-not yet anyway.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Moog Taurus » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:05 pm

Yesterday I watched a DVD of one of the German gigs from June .
It was borrowed from a friend at work who said that it had been downloaded from somewhere so I wasn't expecting much .
Having seen the entire gig I believe I made the right decision in not going to see them live.
I realise that the set list has to include a cross section of songs that will satisfy their wide ranging fan base but there is not enough in there for me personally :(
Having said that the older stuff came over quite well and it's good to see that Rutherford has dusted his Taurus pedals down :D

Caranthir Telemnar

Post by Caranthir Telemnar » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:17 pm

I saw the Musical Box do 'The Lamb' with encores a few years back.
That was a good fix. I just could not sit through 'Invisible Touch', and several others. Wish they'd all get on the same page and do a classic line-up reunion.
I like the instrumental stuff I heard from this tour, but the tuning down thing, while I realize is a concession with age, grates at me to no end.
Amin n'rangwa edanea

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:59 pm

Isn't that funny- I can't listen to Yes doing Going For The One on KTOA (or after) because they had to tune it down. It shouldn't bug me but it makes the neurons in my brain fire wrong. Same with the Genesis and Rush doing 2112 these days.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:59 pm

Pulled out my "Genesis-A History" VHS tape the other day complete with vintage footage from the NC,FT,SEBTP, snf LLDOB shows, interviews with anthony Phillips,Gabriel, and Hackett, and even footage from the recording of the first two albums, and coverage of the grade school Gabriel and Banks met at, and some interesting interviews with managers and promoters. Ends with the Phil Collins Band stuff of the early 90's, but is a fair and balanced overview from "69-"91 or so. Great stuff. Those were the days-PG in the flower hat and other indescribly bizarre costumes!Has good footage of Supper's Ready, and Firth of Fifth too. Got a copy for 5 or 6 bucks at a used book store a few years ago.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Genesis set list for Helsinki 6/11/07

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:05 am

FredProgGH wrote:I tried color coding the list into

Awesome!
Meh.
I'd rather jam an icepick in my ears

and it came out like this:

No Son Of Mine
Land of Confusion
Hold on My Heart
Follow You Follow Me
Mama
Ripples

Throwing It All Away
Domino
Drum Duet~Los Endos

I Can't Dance
Carpet Crawlers

The "meh" stuff is all stuff I like fine, I'm just either burned out on hearing it live or don't see the need to waste time with better material available.
All in all, not bad, I suppose, but not worth the money I think they'll be charging. Honestly, I think they would have had to do a radical set list to get me there- this is basically what they've been playing since 1980 as far as the old stuff goes. Ripples is groovy though.

Actually, I would even get excited if they threw ABACAB and Dodo/Lurker in there- that would be cool!
You notice that just about all the ones in red(awesome)are just instrumentals, which mean their without the original singer and guitarist that made them what they are! I wouldn't had paid 2 dollars,much less 2 hundred. Rather see The Musical Box live!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:25 am

Agreed, seeing a recreation of the band in their prime would be a fantastic experience. Some bands are every bit as good as they were back in the old days or better- Rush and Sabbath (seriously!!), say- some are not quite as potent but still well worth seeing (Yes) and some I'd skip for the tribute bands and I'm thinking that's Genesis big time. Probably Zeppelin too unless Jimmy really gets it together later this month. Be interesting to do a poll of which band fits which category...

Caranthir Telemnar

Post by Caranthir Telemnar » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:12 am

Genesis- a history is excellent--- as you said, it's fair and balanced and has a lot of great footage.
As for Rush---they still have it live...Geddy's voice has gotten stronger since their hiatus a few years back. Still, 2112 seems to be beyond his reach as they tune it down now live. Given their love for, as Alex Lifeson put years ago, "a classical" approach to interpreting their material live, I would kill to hear them do a one-off show with Dalbello on vocals. (she sang 'Start Today' on Alex's 'Victor CD) I could hear her singing 'Cygnus X-1'...That would be most excellent indeed.
As far as Jimmy Page, the show is rescheduled for December as he broke his finger. Uh-oh...
Amin n'rangwa edanea

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:32 pm

I'm real curious to see how Page plays. Mr. Plant has been doing very nice work for the last five years or so and has learned how to use his voice in such a way that matches his strengths as they exist today.

I'm with Fred on Going For the One from KTOA. Just doesn't work for me. Now this version works!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g8_inVKZcfw

The dude who uploaded that vid from 1977 has put almost the entire show up and it's fantastic. That concert was the first I remember wanting to go see, but I was 12 and the folks said no, even though I had an invite from the older sister of a friend who lived down the street.

I really need to see Rush again.

Caranthir Telemnar

Post by Caranthir Telemnar » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:35 pm

Zep can be frustrating at times. I agree that Plant has adapted to his loss of range well, but Pagey is just...inconsistent. That 40th Atlantic anniversary gig made me cringe. He seemed on his game with The Black Crowes, but it helps that he had two guitarists helping recreate some of the classics. I was always hoping they would return to the studio (Page Plant and Jones) to see what they could conjure. They could do as many takes as necessary. Here's hoping they're all on the same page at this concert. (pun mildly intended.)
Amin n'rangwa edanea

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:26 am

Ok-I broke down and bought the live CD set from the 2007 Europe show. Apparantely they picked the best versions from several different shows. Highlights(pretty obvious)"In the Cage"-in its entirety, only small excerts of Cinema Show and Duke's Travels, but Afterglow is stunning. The "Duke "opening is very effective also. And 5 minutes of instrumental "Firth of Fifth" is better than none at all , and I will say Daryl is ripping in parts, He's not Steve, but He shines on a LOT of this CD, As,as MUCH as I hate to admit it,so do Phil's songs, esp. on the PG and pre-Abacab stuff.I have to admit I like all of side one(incl. Land of Confusion, except for "Hold on my heart"-out of place in what is mostly a Duke and before set list. But don't worry it turns sour on Disc Two."Mama" is tolearble, "Ripples" is nice, but too slow,"Throw it all away" is dismal, but actually could have been worse, Domino is ok, the drum duet and Los Endos are great, and I disagree somewhat with Fred-I think Carpet Crawlers is a great closer. Think of it-2(almost)songs from LLDOB, and 2(almost)from SEBTP(back to back). The overall sound is impeccable. The mix is perfect. The only section I CANNOT TOLERATE is the next to last three songs-Tonight,Tonight,Invisible Touch,and I Can't Dance"-it reminds me that even YES never did anything as embarrasing as these three songs(IMO).Overall, A BIG thumbs up and reccommended-Thompson and Streumer are great in their own right, and they could have easily did two hours of Pre Abacab-or at least Invisible Touch-and saved the last disc as a bonus disc I could have thrown away.And also, when you listen to Phil sing "In the Cage" its really close to the passion(if not totally the sound)of the original.I am humble enough to admit when I'm wrong.I really like about 75% of this CD!, Worth 227 bucks to see though?-NEVER. I'll what for the DVD in February!Peace,David.P.S. And another thing that surprised me that the ovation was loud when Phil started "I've got sunshine in my stomach"fro ITC, but still nothing like before Invisible Touch or I can't Dance-unfortunately.