Porcupine Tree

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Porcupine Tree

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:33 pm

The usual suspects otherwise known as the Chattanooga nerds will be going to this show Oct.29th in Atlanta at the Roxy. Can't wait to see these guys-they've been on our wish list for a while. Anyone seen em? I saw where they did Near Fest in 2001, just when they were starting to hit big in the states.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

spaceman

Post by spaceman » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:21 pm

I haven't seen them yet, but we are planning to see them here at the Orange Peel in Asheville on October 10th. Should be a really good show. I listened to their 2005 show on Delicious Agony the other day. They have a really nice sound. Looking forward to show!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:26 pm

I still love their new album.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:55 pm

Bnielsen wrote:I still love their new album.
I'm liking it more and more-I still keep coming back to "Stupid Dream" though. I just think FOABP is too one dimensional-dark and foreboding. But thats the way its supposed to be, Anyway,
I hope they do a little more of the old stuff on the second leg tour, and not the whole FOABP CD like on the first leg. There are three or four songs that will be really good live(from that album )-I've heard "sleep Together" is esp. good live-We'll see.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:56 am

I saw 'em earlier this year (?) in Glasgow when they were debuting the new album by playing a bunch of tracks to an audience that hadn't heard them before. Very good show indeed (but I did have a couple of nice single malts that mellowed me out somewhat!).

A friend's been getting at me for the past 10 years to get in to PT but it's only since Signify that I've given them any thought. They do seem to be getting better with each release though.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:56 pm

SuperTed wrote:
A friend's been getting at me for the past 10 years to get in to PT but it's only since Signify that I've given them any thought. They do seem to be getting better with each release though.
Personally, I think they were at the pinnacle with "Deadwing". I love it cause it is so diverse and has some of the most intense, dark, crushing music in recent memory along side some of the most beautiful-like "Lazarus". FOABP just doesn't quite rise to that level for me, but its still good. Can't wait-Steven Wilson is one of those rare musical genusises(IMO).

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:15 am

Took in a PT show at NEARFest 2001, and honestly it wasn't memorable for me. I do have a copy of Deadwing somehere around here; maybe it's time to listen to it with a give-'em-a-fresh-start mindset. Let's see about meeting up when you guys make the trip down here.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:23 pm

2001 would have been "Lightbulb Sun" tour. LS and Stupid Dream are great albums, SD is right up there with DW and In Absentia IMO.PT had to grow on me until I really got into them. Alot of it is very moody and dark, but alot is suprisingly light and postive and poppy also. A very unique and different band, not for everyone, but from what I've heard, and seen on the DVD, put on a GREAT show!

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:12 pm

My first exposure to PT music was the Nearfest 2001 performance. I had heard maybe a minute of the Signify album when that came out, and wasn't impressed. So they shocked me with how good they were at NF. I quickly picked up "Lightbulb Sun", which I liked a lot. I then got the similar styled (maybe a little less poppy) "Stupid Dream", and the more overtly prog oriented "Sky Moves Sideways", both very good. I was very surprised by the heavier direction starting with "In Absentia", but quite happy as I love prog-metal. Going the heavier route seemed a natural progression for them.

I was supposed to see them on the "Deadwing" tour in 05, still have tickets! :evil: :cry: A friend backed out the last minute, a total bummer. DW is a tremendous album, amybe their best IMO. "Blank Planet" isn't bad at all, it just has not grown on me enough yet. the music seems a bit sparce, it seems a little incomplete to my ears. I do still like it though. I like that guest guitar solo by Alex Lifeson. And some of those heavy riffs are incredible! The older I get, the heavier I like my music. Just leave out the death growls and I'm a happy camper. I'm still waiting for a growl free but heavy Opeth album. Damnation is great, just real mellow.
And now for something completly different

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:55 pm

I like PT a lot. Blackest Eyes and the Sound of Muzak from In Absentia are absolutely essential listening, whilst Lightbulb Sun is a good general album. Floyd lovers should get The Sky Moves Sideways.

I'm not sure the last two albums are getting better, they seem heavier, but emptier.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:16 pm

So if I were to buy a porcupine tree album, which would you suggest? Deadwing?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:57 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:So if I were to buy a porcupine tree album, which would you suggest? Deadwing?
In Absentia
8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:28 am

It's really hard to reccomend a first PT CD. Depends on who you're recommending it too. "Deadwing" is definitely harder and edgier overall, but also has ome of their most beautiful and understated moments on record. "Stupid Dream" is my fav just slightly over "Deadwing"-it is much more accessible and poppier, but has its dark edges too, to me it is their best and most consistant songwriting. "In Absentia" is a very safe bet. Has some great symphonic/psychadelic moments, but also rocks pretty hard. I'd reccomend any one of these three over the new one, or the older material. "Warzasa" is very good too-it is a live recording with songs mostly from "Lightbulb Sun" and "Stupid Dream". It all depends on how you lean-edgier=Deadwing, Poppier-Stupid Dream, in-between=In Absentia.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:26 am

You are a helpful panel of Porcupine Tree experts. While we're on the topic of me buying music, Steve (or anyone else who listens to them), which Mew album would you suggest?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:27 pm

Deadwing, In Absentia, and Fear of a Dark Planet.

Seperately, I highly recommend the CD 'Milliontown' by Frost. I think you'd like them Sam.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03