Porcupine Tree

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:51 pm

I too heard that the songs were much better live esp. "Lets sleep together"-one I just can't seem to get into that everyone loves. But honestly, part of it is that expectations were so high after IA and DW, but it wasn't until recently that I got "Stupid Dream", and "Warzawa" (live disc which has a lot of "Lightbulb Sun").
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Thu May 29, 2008 3:22 pm

I bought nearly all their relases at once and that was too much. It took me a year or so to get trough the hole material in a descent way and to get all phases of the band sorted out. But once into finding all this phases it gets more and more intresting. Very few bands that have developed so much over the years. Another one is GH.
The world is smaller than you think!

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Sat May 31, 2008 4:18 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:It would be interesting then if you next went to "Deadwing" and worked backwards. If you like FOABP(which I consider very weak next to DW,IA, and esp. "Stupid Dream")then I'd really be interested in what you thought of these!
It's so wonderful to find a new band to listen to -- so many albums to choose from . . . :P

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:58 am

Hey,

I've seen these guys live last Friday. They were one of the best proggy things I've seen in my life. Not that I have seen a lot of prog live .. but still. :). They where playing there Music videos in the background and there where a lot of light and smoke effects. If they are in your area I surely recommend seeing them live.

Cheers.
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:16 am

Okay - here's something cute for the PT fans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mISGb_Hmn0EXCLUSIVE- OPETH V'S PORCUPINE TREE PROG QUIZ
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:24 am

It's so wonderful to find a new band to listen to -- so many albums to choose from . . . :P[/quote]

I agree-but its also a trouble spot for those of us that are addicted to good music. For instance, if you like The Flower Kings, then that opens up the door for The Tangent(A great band IMO), and all four of their CD's are good, and Karmakanic-both of their CD's are great, and it goes on and on. The door to all of the new prog was opened to me thru Dream Theater-which led me to Transatlantic-to Spock's Beard-to Neal Morse, and so on.........
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:04 am

yeshead 777 wrote:It's so wonderful to find a new band to listen to -- so many albums to choose from . . . :P
I agree-but its also a trouble spot for those of us that are addicted to good music. For instance, if you like The Flower Kings, then that opens up the door for The Tangent(A great band IMO), and all four of their CD's are good, and Karmakanic-both of their CD's are great, and it goes on and on. The door to all of the new prog was opened to me thru Dream Theater-which led me to Transatlantic-to Spock's Beard-to Neal Morse, and so on.........[/quote]

Isn´t this what prog is all about.......
So sweet, so good music...
So many to choose from...
and so little money!
The world is smaller than you think!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:46 pm

An excellent Symphonic Prog group is from Italy, 'La Maschera Di Cera' Especially 'Neo'
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03