Porcupine Tree

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:27 am

I finally got my copy of 'In Absentia' the other day, and am definately listening the heck out of it.

I enjoy the broader depth of music on this album than 'Fear of a Dark Planet'.

----------------------

I came across a really neat video on YouTube of the song 'Trains' put to videos from AMV, worth watching, esp. at 1:11!

A Promise in the Clouds (AMV - Porcupine Tree - Trains)
ImageImageImage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXkEPk9i ... re=related
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:19 am

It's just better... :) Do you have Lightbulb Sun and The Sky Moves Sideways? Sun is the most consistently good album that PT have done, IMHO, but In Absentia includes Blackest Eyes and The Sound of Muzak, which are the best couple of tracks.

The recent albums have been slightly too much Tool and not enough Eagles. And Steve Wilson is *not* a lead gutarist. :)

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:24 pm

Wilson sounds pretty good on lead as far as I can tell. The PT sound is not for guitar shredding anyway, as much as I like that sort of thing. The "Fear of a Blank Planet" album is a real grower. I still consider "Deadwing" and "In Absentia" a little better, but they are really great albums anyway.
And now for something completly different

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:27 pm

Don't forget "Stupid Dream". It's right up there with IA and DW, IMHO,much lighter and poppier, but it has its edgy moments too,"Piano Lessons" is like the perfect pop song. I like PT cause you have to be in certain moods for their diferent albums, but even though DW is the hardest, it has some of the most subtle and beautiful melodies they've done. for me, FOADB just doesn't strike the chord with me that these others do . the live "Warzasa" is great too-since oit has a lot of "Lightbulb sun" on it.But i rarely am in the mood for any of the older stuff.SW's Blackfield and No Man(esp. Flowermouth")are great too-but way different.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:41 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, guys! I got In Absentia, and I really like it - especially the first part of the album. It's great for kinda chill days, rainy days, and doing homework to. The second half is really cool too, but it's more jarring when you're trying to concentrate. What other albums have the kind of feeling of first half of the album? (Specifically, "Blackest Eyes", "Trains", "Lips of Ashes" and "Gravity Islands"? And "Collapse the Light into Earth"?)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:07 am

I guess Deadwing comes closest to In Absentia but these guys are a bit like GH you can recognise that it is the same band but they always have something new to suprise you with. I Strongly recommend Lightbulb Sun thats my favourite.
The world is smaller than you think!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:05 pm

Sam, I would recommend 'Fear of a Dark Planet' based on some of the tracks you listed.

Also, you might REALLY like the album 'Milliontown' by Frost.
No lie, if you don't have the money for it, I'll BUY it for you. It's that good.
Brian Nielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:31 am

Fear of a Blank Planet is good. Thanks for the recommendation.

One thing though: Is Porcupine Tree a young band? Because prog for me is always associated with a different generation. It's what people listened to before I was born, it's the kind of music my dad listened to on the radio -- so generally today I'd think it's not my generation that's still making this music (with a number of exceptions, granted). There's absolutely nothing wrong with that - I love lots of music that's not of my generation. But Porcupine Tree's lyrics keep using lyrics like they're identifying themselves with angsty hormone-driven teenagers. Are they actually young? Or what's with that? I feel like prog as a genre should be generally more mature than that.

I also bought Frost, and it was ok, but not spectacular. I'm probably going to get burned alive for saying this, but there was too much organ and guitar solos for the last song - I don't like listening to music with lots of solos when I'm trying to concentrate because they're kind of jarring - especially when they're big prog solos. (And a large part of my day is concentrating on homework.) The vocals were cool though! So I guess I didn't like them as much when they were being proggy. I liked them better as a kind of alternative-rock band. Tracks 2 and 4 were the best.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:14 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:Fear of a Blank Planet is good. Thanks for the recommendation.

One thing though: Is Porcupine Tree a young band? Because prog for me is always associated with a different generation. It's what people listened to before I was born, it's the kind of music my dad listened to on the radio -- so generally today I'd think it's not my generation that's still making this music (with a number of exceptions, granted). There's absolutely nothing wrong with that - I love lots of music that's not of my generation. But Porcupine Tree's lyrics keep using lyrics like they're identifying themselves with angsty hormone-driven teenagers. Are they actually young? Or what's with that? I feel like prog as a genre should be generally more mature than that.

I also bought Frost, and it was ok, but not spectacular. I'm probably going to get burned alive for saying this, but there was too much organ and guitar solos for the last song - I don't like listening to music with lots of solos when I'm trying to concentrate because they're kind of jarring - especially when they're big prog solos. (And a large part of my day is concentrating on homework.) The vocals were cool though! So I guess I didn't like them as much when they were being proggy. I liked them better as a kind of alternative-rock band. Tracks 2 and 4 were the best.
Yo,
PT is not a young band. Heck, we played with them in 95 I think. They appeared rather angst-ridden on that occasion too. I think they probably evolved more from the late 80's alternative movement with a love for Pink Floyd - whereas yours truly and other bands that emerged from the early 90s came more from the late 80's metal scene - but with a love for prog.
That being said - mid-to late 40's in age - a guess. I've never paid any attention to their lyrics - but love the vocals, songwriting and production.
They're not a prog group though - yet proggers (most) love'em, myself included.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:43 am

They're not PROG in the truest since like other newer bands like GH,Spock's Beard,Flower Kings,etc., but it is progressive in the sense that it is very musical, very intense, combines louder,faster(more modern)moments with softer more melodic moments,original and unique,great songwriting,great playing,etc. Kind of like King's X-they're not PROG at all, but I guarantee at least 2/3 of their fans are PROGGERS! Great music by great musicians is just that! PT combines the spacey,atmosperic(Pink Floydish)side of prog influences with more modern influences in a most original way. This is the main reason I'm disappointed with FOABP. IMHO it is the most unoriginal of the last 5 or so CD's. Instead of original songwriting, it tries to mimick the best parts of SD,LS,IA,and DW for the most part.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:39 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:Fear of a Blank Planet is good. Thanks for the recommendation.
Not a problem Sam =)
It's always hard to suggest music for other people, but I'm glad you enjoyed what you could.

I love to pipe my iPod through my keyboard and play along with the guitar/synth/bass lines on that last track though XD

Both albums have tracks that are great driving music =p
Brian Nielsen

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:09 pm

PT was originaly just Steven Wilson somwhere in the beginning of the 80´s recording on cassette. These cassettes got very popular and the demand for a live prformance grew. It was how PT was born. If you listen to the old stuff like Voyage 34 was Prog and i is actually very intresting following the development from PT from those casett recordings to Fear Of A Blank Planet this is where one understand why PT´s music is called prog it has gone thru many developing phases before it became what it is today. It is nearly as intresting as listning to all GH albums in a row. Here you can listen to an development that has a lot in common with PT but still is a complete different type of prog.

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:32 pm

Just got introduced to PT a month ago with FOABP. :D I'm really impressed with the album -- very rich.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:26 am

alien2112 wrote:Just got introduced to PT a month ago with FOABP. :D I'm really impressed with the album -- very rich.
It would be interesting then if you next went to "Deadwing" and worked backwards. If you like FOABP(which I consider very weak next to DW,IA, and esp. "Stupid Dream")then I'd really be interested in what you thought of these!

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Thu May 29, 2008 6:28 am

I guess FOABP would have sonded weak to me if I didn´t have heard the most of the material live first because when you see PT live you really start to understand their music. (My opinion) They didn´t capture this great feeling of the songs on the album but knowing how they sound live the album grows. I been following PT for a few years allready and It´s one of the most intresting bands to listen to their complete discography because you can follow their development on each album. For who has time and possibillity this is the best way to understand their music.

Greetings from a sunny Germany.