Glass Hammer in England?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Kineto Zetetics

Glass Hammer in England?

Post by Kineto Zetetics » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:47 am

Hi All,
A brief comment and a question for Steve & Fred:

Around a decade ago a fellow proghead played me Perelandra. I noted at the time that you guys could really play but to be honest I wasn’t that impressed. I guess this coloured my opinion of Glass Hammer and whenever the band was raised in conversation it was this impression that came to mind. As a result I mentally sidelined the band whilst continuing to follow the progress of other neo prog outfits (Spock’s, Flower Kings, Tangent et al).

Earlier this year, a friend who had been over to Nearfest brought back a copy of the ‘Live at Belmont’ DVD.
I was initially very impressed but subsequently (after 100+ playings!!) I’m completely ‘bowled over’.

This performance is nothing short of magnificent both in terms of presentation, quality of material and delivery.
I was lucky enough to see all the 1st generation prog giants tour live (from Selling England/CTTE/Trilogy onwards)
The Belmont gig is up there with the best of them. I’m currently going full out to acquire your back catalogue and l eagerly await the new album.

Just one plea. We are spoilt here in Britain as far as prog is concerned.
Relatively local to me are two regular prog venues: the Robbin 2 at Bilston (http://www.therobin.co.uk/) and the Classic Rock Society at Rotherham (http://www.classicrocksociety.net/).

During the last twelve months these venues have hosted ‘Spock’s Beard’, ‘The Tangent’, ‘Hatfield and the North’, ‘Carl Palmer Band’, ‘Rick Wakeman Band’, ‘Wakeman & Anderson’, ‘The Flower Kings’, ‘The Rocket Scientists’, Steve Hackett, ‘Arena’, ‘IQ’, ‘Karnataka’, John Wetton, Steve Howe, plus many prog tributes.
We are currently all looking forward to this year’s ‘Summers End Festival’ (http://www.sonicbond.com/prodtype.asp?P ... istory=cat) at which ‘Pain of Salvation’ and ‘It Bites’ are playing.

So, here is my question: Would Glass Hammer consider playing over here in England (possibly in a stripped down format). You would be assured of a warm welcome and are notable by your omission from the list of contemporary prog performers listed above.

Thanks for the excellent music
A totally impressed
Dave Gooding
Dave

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:22 pm

The short answer: Absolutely! We've tried many times to make it happen in the past but it's never quite made fiscal sense to try and pull off. But, we're always open to offers and we'd love to come. It would have to be a "core band" only type of thing probably, which is a drag because the Adonia trio and the singers are VERY integral to our sound these days. There are a lot of logistical problems to overcome in an overseas trip but strictly from a personal point of view we'd love nothing more than to play England and Europe too.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Kineto Zetetics

Post by Kineto Zetetics » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:07 am

FredProgGH wrote:The short answer: Absolutely! We've tried many times to make it happen in the past but it's never quite made fiscal sense to try and pull off. But, we're always open to offers and we'd love to come. It would have to be a "core band" only type of thing probably, which is a drag because the Adonia trio and the singers are VERY integral to our sound these days. There are a lot of logistical problems to overcome in an overseas trip but strictly from a personal point of view we'd love nothing more than to play England and Europe too.
I agree the Adonia trio and the singers are crucial to reproduce the albuns from 'Lex' onwards. Perhaps you could just choose the material to avoid this - for example 'Knight of the North' might be possible with only a limited modification. When I attend this year's 'Summer's End Festival' I'll speak to the organisers on your behalf if you wish. This is a great event for die hard proggers with 3 days of pure prog - check out the link from my posting above.
Dave

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:56 pm

Any version of GH live would be awesome, but Brent,Rob, I and others who saw the Belmont and Tivoli shows are spoiled. To see them with the girls(suzie,Bethany,and Flo), the trio, and the choir is like no other experience. The Adonai Trio came out front so much more in the Tivoli show, and they're such an integral part of the new album, I can't imagine a live GH show without them.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:43 pm

Aye,

But it would be nice if GH got to tour Europe. I am sure those there would love to hear GH live. Who knows, someone over there may want to get the whole band over there?

Where would be a good hall there? Can you imagine this?

Glass Hammer live at the Odeon

Glass Hammer live at Donnington

Glass Hammer live in Dublin.... and for one a bit eastern(that's Asia)

Glass Hammer live at Budokan

I think I might have to get a passport for one of those.
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:13 pm

Well, if we go out of the country its an unfortunate near-certainty that it will be as a five piece band.

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:04 am

Anywhere in the British Isles and I'm there!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur
Location: hanging from the cobwebs in your mind, looks like a long long way to fall

Post by Losfer Words » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:42 pm

It's the 21st first century and we still don't have our star trek transporter beams (or flying cars!!! :evil:

The transporter beam is the solution to the performing bands logistical nightmares, there and back again (that's sounds more like hobbit technology or orc mischief :D) after every show, no more hotels with bed bugs and no more smelly tour bus.
On a crystal morning I can see the dewdrops falling
Down from a gleaming heaven, I can hear the voices calling
When you comin' home now, son, this world is not for you

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:15 pm

Oh, they've got the flying car. It just hasn't quite received the Henry Ford treatment yet.

http://www.moller.com/

And even if they got them cheap it wouldn't be a practical intercontinental solution...