"Leaving Christian Music" Blog

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Flo Paris

"Leaving Christian Music" Blog

Post by Flo Paris » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:02 am

I started a blog/explanation of why I am not going to market myself through the "Christian Music" Industry.

It can be found here:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=13342106

Any thoughts?
"Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?"

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:22 am

I totally agree with you, Flo.

I think separating "Christian" from "secular" music is saying that therefore "secular" is the same as "non-Christian". What? If the truth is one, whole and eternal, shouldn't it flow throughout? If we want to section ourselves off like that, we're effectively saying that religion means church and overt signs of spirituality and Jesus talk (not to mention how unintelligent some of those lyrics are!). So it's saying religion is a Sunday-service thing. What?! Not my religion!! My religion is a part of my worldview, something that shapes my thoughts, a part of the way I live everyday, not something that can be sectioned off into a "Christian section" of behaviors, as opposed to "secular section". I haven't yet reached perfection, of course, but shouldn't we strive to have our Christianity as something far more central and fundamental to our identity, something far too integrated to bracket off and label? So if that's the ideal, shouldn't music reflect that too?

And as for seeking out only messages that you can fully resonate with: yes, positive uplifting music is great. Listening to only music that is constantly really negative and contrary to your worldview can be taxing on one's strength. I understand that. But to rule some music out simply because of a slight ideal clash is kind of closed-minded and shallow, I think. I personally find that sometimes even music that has a negative message is simply an accurate, honest portrayal of the human heart and needs to be taken into consideration to understand the society we live in. If you're not open-minded enough to try to really understand the society who doesn't share your views, chances are, you're not being a good Christian in the first place. Yes, there are things that are not all right in the world - there is evil here. But Christians are not called to run away and hide from that darkness, but to be a light to chase the darkness away. And I don't think they can do that by hiding up in their own music industries in their little bubble of sub-par imitations of "secular" music.

And that applies to all other arts and everything else in life as well. Tolkien, for instance, was not writing the dialogue of Legolas to be preaching the gospel or having Frodo born again... and yet his Christianity is really clear through the picture he paints, in ways more fundamental than specific, overt doctrine. In fact, I think the Lord of the Rings has more of truth in it than a lot of these crappily-written Jesus love songs.

Well, that's my take on it, at least.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:21 pm

I couldn't agree with what you've written more Flo. Very well thought out response.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:59 pm

Awesome, its a movement now Steve- i've pointed a few people to your 'reclaim the music' site
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Losfer Words
Amateur
Amateur
Location: hanging from the cobwebs in your mind, looks like a long long way to fall

Post by Losfer Words » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:34 pm

Heretic! runs to get a stake, some oil and wood.

Joking and monty python brainwashing aside.

Flo, I think you are doing the right thing.

While it's great that there is an audience out there wanting more "Christian" entertainment, sadly the "industry people" churning out that entertainment are often the types who couldn't care less about Christian values and are only in it for the $$'s from what they perceive as an untapped market.

I think the recording artists that create and perform the music are often sincere in their intent when adopting the Christian title to describe their music, yet they quickly get sucked into the gears of the wicked marketing machine behind CCM. (place appropriate Sparks of the Tempest lyric quote here, yes I am gonna make you work/think for that one :D)

Plus, I always thought that genres of music should refer to the sound/style of music, not the lyrical content.

If the later is the basis for naming a genre then where is the Hindu Death Metal, and Buddha Bluegrass section in the CD store? (pausing to wait for Fred to find a link to something similar)
However, I think I could be persuaded into purchasing
the Tao of Dio boxed set. :twisted: :evil:
On a crystal morning I can see the dewdrops falling
Down from a gleaming heaven, I can hear the voices calling
When you comin' home now, son, this world is not for you

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:45 pm

This just in from Progressiveears.com. :oops:

>>>>Glass Hammer, however, are very different - they're a Christian neo-prog band from Nashville, sound roughly like a cross between Yes and Kansas, and write many of their songs on religious or sword-and-sorcery themes. >>>>

So, does this :cry: mean you won't sing with us again? lol

This was an interesting post - however, it was full of myths from our NEARfest saga. Apparently Fred and I were horrified by Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum. As I recall, they were nice people backstage and I was a little too busy screaming about the Taurus Pedals to take note of their performance.
Go Flo!
Cheers,
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

mflorio
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mflorio » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:05 pm

Bnielsen wrote:i've pointed a few people to your 'reclaim the music' site
http://www.reclaimthemusic.com has been down for a while, actually. But if you check http://www.cprogrock.com there's a link there that works.

Mike
http://www.massdream.com

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:12 am

As an eternal optimist I guess I believe there is a place for all kinds of music including CCM. I agree with what Steve and Flo are saying for the most part about the industry, and the individual artists must make the decision to market their music where they want to, and in the way they want to. But the other side of this is the many fans of CCM(including my wife and kids and many friends) who love the music, it is a big part of their spiritual life, and they know nothing or care little about the business side of things. I too believe there are sincere Christian artists,some who are even extremely talented. I just hate to see the baby being thrown out with the bath water. I realize that I am strange in that I can listen to everything from Third Day or Mercy Me to Porcupine Tree, Opeth, or Tool. My wife thinks I'm nuts-for this and other reasons(hehe).
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:44 am

yeshead 777 wrote:But the other side of this is the many fans of CCM(including my wife and kids and many friends) who love the music, it is a big part of their spiritual life, and they know nothing or care little about the business side of things.
I'm not sure if anything Flo and I have said about CCM is a reason not to listen to it. Its more about changing the musicians and artists first, then the listeners will come along. You're family would probably love Flo's music - no matter who put it out.
I can make CCM go away (in my life) by simply turning it off. That seems the appropriate response - at least for me.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:43 am

Thats why ignorance about some things is a good thing-and I know thats a DANGEROUS statement to make. I know that I prefer to stay off of committees and boards at church, because once you get involved with the business side it changes everything and can leave a sour taste in you mouth. I know you and Flo well enough to know you are not saying "Don't listen to CCM". In the same way, I do not force PROG on others. Everyone has to make their own choices and should not force these on others. I do believe that many of the so-called"CCM" artists like Jars of Clay in particular feel and believe more like you do, and there are tons of indie artists like Phil Keaggy, The Lost Dogs, The Choir,etc. who put the value on the music and not in the "industry". I guess to me, as a fan, and not a musician with a vested interest in it as a job or business, I try to view it as "All about the music".Peace,David.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:46 am

P.S. They do like Flo's music- what they've heard, and similar artists like Sherri Youngward, Sara Groves, and Sarah Masen-all who are or have been on idie labels, and not a part of the BIG CCM MACHINE.

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:04 pm

hmmm, yeshead has given me an idea by the way of his comment about forcing prog on others. I had a visit from a JW this past week and she was remarkably persistent despite my telling her in a nice way I had no desire to join an Arius-themed armageddon cult. But, perhaps the world could be made better if we went door to door with an armload of Yes/prog albums and took up the same approach the JW's use. Imagine knocking on a door, the full gatefold glory of Relayer in your hand and all you ask the person who answers the door to do is to accept the album freely and give it a spin or three. Finally, you ask if you could come back and visit again, after they have had a chance to digest the music. This might just work. I mean, who turns down albums that look like Relayer??
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:25 pm

theHermit wrote:hmmm, yeshead has given me an idea by the way of his comment about forcing prog on others. I had a visit from a JW this past week and she was remarkably persistent despite my telling her in a nice way I had no desire to join an Arius-themed armageddon cult. But, perhaps the world could be made better if we went door to door with an armload of Yes/prog albums and took up the same approach the JW's use. Imagine knocking on a door, the full gatefold glory of Relayer in your hand and all you ask the person who answers the door to do is to accept the album freely and give it a spin or three. Finally, you ask if you could come back and visit again, after they have had a chance to digest the music. This might just work. I mean, who turns down albums that look like Relayer??
I like this idea, I really do. :D

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:18 pm

"If you crashed on a desert island today, what kind of music would be on your iPod?? Have you thought about it?? Have you accepted Prog into your heart??"
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:45 pm

I'll take it a step further-all in fun of course. What about what's playing in your ipod when Jesus comes. Do I go to a higher level of heaven if its Carmen or Casting Crowns then if its say GH or Salem Hill. And then if its Porcupine Tree,Opeth, or Tool do I go to the bad place?HEHE.P.S.What about YES-do I go to the Planet Aquarius where I get to see Mama Cass, Jimi Hendrix, Jerry Garcia, and others?