2 incredible BASS players live!

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

2 incredible BASS players live!

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:03 am

Just to let all area people know!: Oteil(Burbridge)and the Peacemakers will be playing in Chattanooga on the river Sat. Sept.22 7pm-FREE concert. They are incredible-saw them two years ago at Riverbend-Oteil is in The Allman Brothers Band(and arguably the best player in that band!), and the incomporable Bela Fleck and the Flecktones including the PHENOMENAL Victor Lemonte Wooten on Bass will be playing two shows in Knoxville on Sun.,Mon. Setpt.23-24th. at the Bijou theater. So,needless to say the Chattanooga nerds will be in attendance on Sat. & sun. nights!-wearing our GH shirts at least at one show! Go to either of their websites for more info! If you've never seen either of these bassists-esp. WOOTEN-you don't have any idea what you'll be missing!Peace,David.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:05 am

Victor's brother played with Oteil the last time they came by these parts, so it's funny you mention those bands playing so close by. Should be great shows.

Speaking of great bass players, Edgar Meyer will be performing at Sewanee October 6th. Since he composes and plays every kind of music imaginable (bluegrass to classical) there should be something for everyone. It's simply a crime against nature that he'll be performing on the same stage that I do when attempting to play bass in the orchestra . :wink:
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:16 am

Thats incredible-Edgar is amazing, but i can only go to so many shows. Isn't it incredible how much amazing talent is coming to this area in the next few months!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:01 pm

Victor Wooten alone on stage would be worth the price of admission. Sounds like a great show. It's this saturday I see, have a great time!
And now for something completly different

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:31 pm

Vic and the flecktones are Sunday and Monday in Knoxville. Oteil is Sat. night here in Chattanooga-FREE! I am so pumped-two of the BEST in two nights!!! and you're right-as incredible as Bela is(and we'll be seeing him with Nickel Creek in Oct.), Vic is more than worth the price of admission. Utterly amazing!

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:57 pm

I once had the pleasure of seeing those two guys onstage at the same time! The 'Tones did a show in Atlanta back in the spring of '97, and Oteil sat in with the band for the encore. He and Victor carried out a bass duel that made my jaw drop. Note--I did not say dueT, but dueL. Those two were firing the most ridiculous bass licks at each other across the stage.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:20 am

johnc wrote:I once had the pleasure of seeing those two guys onstage at the same time! The 'Tones did a show in Atlanta back in the spring of '97, and Oteil sat in with the band for the encore. He and Victor carried out a bass duel that made my jaw drop. Note--I did not say dueT, but dueL. Those two were firing the most ridiculous bass licks at each other across the stage.
I'm SO envious! I bet that was incredible! There is one clip at least on Youtube with the two of them together, and I'm listening to Bass Extremes with Victor and Steve Bailey, and Oteil guesting on 2 tracks. I've also heard Victor in an interview talking about growing up playing wtih Oteil, and him being one of his heroes. Funny how Vic is so well known compared to Oteil. I think one difference is that Vic is allowed by Bela to do so much in the Flecktones, and Oteil is only allowed to hold down the bottom basically in the Allman Bros. Band. Oteil and the Peacemakers blew us away(esp. Oteil) on a smaller stage earlier in the night , then when He and the Allmans played later-He was so poorly mixed with them you could hardly hear him.Well, this will be the next best thing!