General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

The Watch

Post by esteban » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:15 am

Hey folks,

Been listening to some tunes by a band called The Watch, out of Italy. This is a great band with a retro sound, channeling Gabriel-era Genesis rather strongly while making it sound fresh.

Why mention this band here? The latest release, "Primitive", includes a tune called Berlin 1936 which, while musically very different, breathes some of the same epic air as those GH tunes based on historical events. In this case, the event is the Olympic Games held in Hitler's Berlin and the amazing race of African-American runner Jesse Owens.

I find it funny that I came over to post this the day after Fred's epic 5K run :wink: !!!

Also listening to a band out of the UK called The Reasoning. Very different, but very nice.

-Stephen , breathlessly awaiting COA!
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:26 pm

I have three albums by the Watch and one when the band was called Night Watch. Good stuff. My favorite of the bands who obviously worship Gabriel-era Genesis.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:35 pm

Nice. I understand the band recently went through a major change of personnel. Which of the albums would you recommend to a newcomer as a first purchase?
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:40 pm

Great band, I think of their albums as "lost" Genesis classics. They sound to me what Genesis would have been like around 1980 or so if Gabriel and Hackett had never left. It's a little more modern sounding than the Gabriel era, but still very retro. Are they a clone band? Absolutely, and I don't have a problem with that. I have the latest one, but still have not spun it yet. Vacuum and Ghost are terrific. The Night Watch disc is good, but the production is a little weak.
And now for something completly different

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:42 pm

Well said.

I would start with Ghost and then Vacuum. I prefer both of those records to the new one, though that is one that is still growing on me.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis