Jordan Rudess-The Road Home

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Jordan Rudess-The Road Home

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:10 pm

Sorry, but I've got to plug this incredible CD that just came out. All true PROG purists will be pleased! This is much more than a tribute album. It includes Jordan and Rod Morgenstein(drums) on all tracks with several guest guitarists(unknown to me-but quite impressive), and Neal Morse,Steven Wilson, Nick D'Virgillio, and Kip Winger on vocals doing some of the most difficult prog masterpieces of all time:
Dance on a Volcano-Genesis
Sound Chaser-YES
Just the Same-Gentle Giant
Piano Medley(Soon-YES,Supper's Ready-Genesis,I talk to the wind-KC, And You And I-YES)
Piece of the Pi-original
Tarkus-ELP(In its entirety!!!!)

I can honestly say it is all breathtaking, and will be at the top of my top 10 list of 2007 with "Culture of Ascent"!!!!!

Check it out!Peace,David.

Best next thing til Oct.23rd!!!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:04 am

Thanks for the recommendation...you're the second person that's suggested this work. So, I'm listening to Tarkus right now! Cool stuff...
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:42 pm

I'm dying to pick this up, I'm a major Rudess fan. And I have heard nothing but good things about it. I should be able to buy this Saturday (fingers crossed).
And now for something completly different

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:48 pm

Thanks for the tip dude. I will spin it if for the Sound Chaser cover alone! The late Kevin Gilbert did a killer cover of Siberian Khatru that to date is my favorite Yes cover, so I am eager to hear Sound Chaser. Such a great song. Reminds me of some of Miles Davis's electric work from the same year, only with a bit more English to it. Reminds me too how much I miss Kevin Gilbert's music. Such a talented guy and to go out the way he did.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:15 pm

I finally have it! A whole lot of sounds that still need to sink in. Plus, I still have not heard this version of Tarkus.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:26 am

theHermit wrote:Thanks for the tip dude. I will spin it if for the Sound Chaser cover alone! The late Kevin Gilbert did a killer cover of Siberian Khatru that to date is my favorite Yes cover, so I am eager to hear Sound Chaser. Such a great song. Reminds me of some of Miles Davis's electric work from the same year, only with a bit more English to it. Reminds me too how much I miss Kevin Gilbert's music. Such a talented guy and to go out the way he did.
That was a killer version. Just imagine Pat Moraz with today's technolgy.The whole thing is killer, with "Dance on a volcano"being the most vast improvement on the original.I'm still not getting over Kip Winger singing so well-esp. on Supper's Ready.This thing rocks!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:57 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:
theHermit wrote:
That was a killer version. Just imagine Pat Moraz with today's technolgy.The whole thing is killer, with "Dance on a volcano"being the most vast improvement on the original.I'm still not getting over Kip Winger singing so well-esp. on Supper's Ready.This thing rocks!
I'm totally obsessing over "Dance on a Volcano", it's been stuck in my head all day! I adore the original, but this new version is incredible, my favorite cover on the album! I'm not too crazy about the guitar solo section on "Sound Chaser", nor some of the electronic gimicktry on "Tarkus", but all in all a tremendous effort by Mr. Rudess and company.

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:05 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:...with "Dance on a volcano"being the most vast improvement on the original...
Hmmm...I think I have to call a flag on the play on this one...:twisted:

Jordan Rudess against Tony Banks? Sorry JR!! :lol:

I'm only listening to the samples but the playing on DoaV is a bit too muscular and busy for my liking...it's diverting and entertaining but the original is far and away the better version.

Now, the Sound Chaser sample on the other hand sounds very cool. I think it's a track that suits the more attacking style that JR's using.

Mind you, it's all opinion isn't it? :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:46 pm

Banks played some really tasty solos back in the day. But Rudess is the man! If I could switch places with any musician on the planet, it would be him.

mflorio
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mflorio » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:35 pm

My favorite album of Jordan's would be his release called "Listen" from the early 90's. Well worth finding if you haven't heard it. The emphasis on that one is more on songwriting than shredding.

Mike
http://www.massdream.com

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:32 pm

Wow!

I absolutely love this CD, just got it in the mail yesterday.

All the tracks are wonderful, but two stand out:

-JR Piano Medley (OMG! I wish the whole album was like this: they miked that Steinway D BEAUTIFULLY, also, I had no idea JR could sing that well! I love his voice)

-Tarkus (very solid, and just as enjoyable as watching Emerson play it at NF a few years ago)

I'm going to have to check out some of his older solo work now!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:36 pm

What about Kip Winger's voice? esp. on"Tarkus". Sometimes I almost feel guilty for liking a "Tribute: album this much, and esp. liking some of these versions as much or more than the originals! It shows not only his immense talent, but his respect for these bands and their impact on his music. I think "Just the Same" impresses me the most since its a great under-appreciated classic from an under-appreciated classic PROG band-Gentle Giant. If the real "Genesis" could play "Dance on a Volcano" this good-they might be worth $224 bucks a ticket!

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:56 am

mflorio wrote:My favorite album of Jordan's would be his release called "Listen" from the early 90's. Well worth finding if you haven't heard it. The emphasis on that one is more on songwriting than shredding.

Mike
I may still pick this up. From the little I heard, it came across as rather lame, except for the solos. Maybe sound samples are not enough to make a propper judgement here. I'm a major Rudess fan, so I guess I owe myself to getting this cd. I think his music back then lacked an edge found on other non-DT works like the Rudess-Morganstein project and his recent solo outings.