Big...and I mean BIG news!!

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Flo Paris

Big...and I mean BIG news!!

Post by Flo Paris » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:50 am

Well, it's big news for us, I don't know if y'all will think so...
But this January, we are moving to Nashville.

I'm excited, but I'm also really sad to be leaving most of our families and beautiful California.
After we had Sera, we moved back to Ca so our parents could have relationships with their grandkids...it has been amazing, and they are all SO close..this is why it breaks my heart to leave!

California is a hard place to leave..specifically, the Central Coast.
It is breathtakingly beautiful.
We live in a small town where I can walk Sera to preschool and she can see the ocean from the playground.
It is about 70 degrees most of the time, but you can drive a couple of hours north to the snow, or south to the desert.
It is prime wine country, with a winery around EVERY corner.
(Ever see Sideways?? Basically where I live)
I can buy organic food at EVERY grocery store, not to mention the farmer's markets and TRADER JOE'S!!!

It is a prime retirement spot-so there are a lot of rich retirees...and it is also a college town, which means, renters have no problem charging about $2200 a month to rent a 3 bedroom house, because there are LOTS of college students who can split the cost with roomates.
The average home is about $500,000-unless it is a fixer-upper in the middle of nowhere, which still carries a price tag of about $300K-$400k.

These things make it much, much easier to leave!
Also, it is NOT a "music" town.
People in laid back California fashion, generally don't care much about it.
There was a time I was playing shows every month at various coffee shops (we don't have any other venues here except for like, 3 bars)
and the same people kept coming...mostly because every one else either wants to go here instrumental music at a winery, or they are a college student, and all they care about is getting drunk at bars.

So, we are off to Nashville, where I can at least have venues to play at, where we can afford to live, and where Sera can have more schooling options.

It certainly doesn't hurt that I'll be a couple of THOUSAND miles closer to the rest of the Glass Hammer folk...woo hoo!
"Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?"

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:28 pm

Well we welcome you all back to the east side and have a safe time moving. :D

(Sorry that post was so cliche, but I'm really tired right now)

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:40 pm

GH will once again be a TENNESSEE band, thru and thru(I think)from Memphis to Nashville to Knoxville, and somehweres in between.Congrats! It means you'll have to do some dates in Chatt town too!,since I missed you're last one!And you have no excuse to not be on the next GH CD!!!!!BTW, you are sorely missed on the new one!Peace,David.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Flo Paris

Post by Flo Paris » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:08 am

Thanks! I've begun the delightful task of going through each and every room of the house and getting rid of stuff we don't need.
By get rid of, I mean, move to the garage-but hopefully we will have a garage sale. We have a double VHS set of the BBC "Hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy" if anyone is interested. It's a buck, and all you have to do is drive all the way to Cali for it.
More importantly than garage sales, we are focusing on finding work in Nashville.
Josh is trying to start up a photography business, and hopefully shoot bands, which would be cool, cause we would sort of be in the same industry.
Also, he is an expert mac tech..so we're exploring those options as well.
If any of you are ever in Nashville, and have a Mac crisis, you'll know who to call.
I can't WAIT to really "do" music again.
Everyone out here wants to be a hollywood rockstar. It's gross.
"Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?"