Any Funk fans?

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Any Funk fans?

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:49 am

After seeing the King of the funky(and many other styles )bass live last week-none other than Victor Wooten and probably the second in line-Oteil Burbridge-the night before,I've been getting into some funk. I know of one other participant on this forum who was funking out at Oteil's show(unfortunately He missed the Flecktones show). Of Course Victor does so much more than funk, but I'm listening to his "Live in America"CD done with his brothers live-and it ROCKS!!!!, or FUNKS out, or however this white bread boy is supposed to say it! Great thing about having such an eclectic taste in music!!!!!I'll be back in PROG mode come late October!!!!Peace,David.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:30 pm

I love Miles Davis's funk/fusion material from the 1970's. Does that count? Albums like On The Corner, Agharta, Pangaea, and Dark Magus.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:32 am

I tried to get into some Miles a while ago-and just couldn't, but I don't think it was any of those you mentioned.On a slightly different note-I've really gotten into the Derek Trucks Band after renting his live DVD. He is not only an incredible player, but the whole band was super tight-esp. the drummer, and the singer was more funky than bluesy. And most of Trucks' licks are more improvosed and jazz influenced than the straight blues I though it would be. "Songlines" and the live album are both excellent. He mixes up blues,jazz,gospel,etc.-very unique.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].