New Flower Kings

General discussion

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

New Flower Kings

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:28 am

I know there's several FK fans on here. Just wandered who else had the new disc "The Sum of No Evil". Most of you know by now this is one of my fav bands, And I have to say at the first two or three listens-I wasn't super impressed! But at about listen 4 or 5 it kicked in, and now I absolutely love it-very similar to my reaction to most GH discs! Both bands seem to cover a lot of the same ground musically each album, but both have changed it up with their latest in different ways. GH seems to have incorporated more modern and edgier sounds, while the FK have gone back to the roots of their first 3 or 4 releases ,but made it fresh. Even both these bands don't sound alot alike-they do share the fact that they have the freshest and most innovative songwriting in modern prog-and thats why I love em! The song "Trading my Soul" is one of the most unusual songs the FK or any modern prog band have ever done-very dark in tone, and bright in feel and lyrical content. Although, these two bands differ in specific spiritual belief systems-their music shares a positive, but realistic spiritual outlook about this life and the life thereafter.Thoughts?
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:16 pm

I'm sure you have seen some of my comments on PE. I've only listened to this album twice, but really loved what I heard. The standout to me is the leadoff track, which contains some of the best playing of any FK album. I love the sound of the keys, and Roine Stolt ads a heavier edge to much of his playing. Such a crisp recording, really FK on top of their game. If I would just stop buying so water-holder-backer much new music, I would get to listen to this more. Instead, I picked up the new album by Oblivion Sun, and it smokes! OS is related to Happy the Man, as it's two main contributors are Stan Whitaker and Frank Wyatt. I'll start a thread on this a little later.
And now for something completly different

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:01 pm

Crank up "Trading my soul" on the headphones a time or two-and tell me what you think. I've also gone back and really gotten into The Tangent-just can't quite ever get used to Andy Tilson's voice, but the music along with the FK rhythm section is killer!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:06 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:Crank up "Trading my soul" on the headphones a time or two-and tell me what you think. I've also gone back and really gotten into The Tangent-just can't quite ever get used to Andy Tilson's voice, but the music along with the FK rhythm section is killer!!!!
I don't care much for his singing, nor his politics. I can tolerate his singing for the most part, and fortunately his politics don't pop up too often. But why do bands do things that might alienate a good chunk of their audience? It's as if they think every fan will agree with them. Roine Stolt did that with his "Wallstreet Voodoo" album. In that case though, it's more the style -not nearly as symphonic based, that caused me not to buy it. I can't own EVERY Flower Kings related CD. I already own EVERY FKalbum, plus the other Stolt solo discs, Karmakanic, Kaipa and the Tomas Bodin solo albums. The only clunker to my ears is the Bodin semi-parody "Swedish Family", which makes a nice drink coaster.
And now for something completly different

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Moog Taurus » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:02 pm

The new one from the Flower Kings is great , along with GH they and Porcupine Tree seem to be all I listen to these days , as well as the odd trip into the seventies stuff.
Zoltan the drummer is back for the album and it shows they are a better band with when he is there 8)

Caranthir Telemnar

Post by Caranthir Telemnar » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:29 pm

Hi all. Newbie here. While were on the subject of The Flower Kings, can someone shed some light on whats up with Zoltan? I was thrilled he was back in the group, but now it turns out Pat Mastelotto is touring with them. Great drummer, but I liked what Zotan brought to the group. Any insights? Thanks
Amin n'rangwa edanea

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:41 pm

There's rumprs that He's going to do something with King Cimson-how ironic, with Pat touring with the kings.He belongs with Jonas Reingold -wherever they go-INCREDIBLE rhythm section.

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Moog Taurus » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:41 am

I think Zoltan can be likened to Bill Bruford , he likes to move around after a while with any one band .
His style of drumming requires a band that is free in rhythmic direction to a degree and if he does play with KC I would be very interested in the result.
Having said that he and Jonas make a fabulous rhythm section , I have seen them live three times and they along with the rest of the band were fantastic .
Getting back to Bruford I recently saw the DVD that came with the Fish Out Of Water CD and reading between the lines I think when Bruford left Yes it was quitea blow for Chris .
He makes subtle comments about Bill and his playing giving the impression that he would miss the partnership.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:58 pm

There is a lot of similarity between the two pairs. When White stepped in he did an ample job, but it was never the same. When Marcus Lilliquist stepped in, it was the same.PH is a great CD, it just makes you wander what it would have been like with Zoltan(what about Tales w/Bruford?).Anyway, I was watching th Instant Delivery DVD today, and Jonas and Marcus had some nice moments together, but he couldn't keep up with him on "The truth will set you free"-Jonas was just in a zone! As good as Roine,Tomas, and Hasse are, the rhythm section has always made a big difference IMO in their sound. That's why all the jazz-fusion heads like me love "Unfold the Future". I don't know what happened on A & E, anyway, that's another story. Moog, what do you think of Karmakanic."Wheel of Life" stands with any FK CD imo-awesome disc..But then I could listen to Zoltan and Jonas play polka and I'd love it!

Caranthir Telemnar

Post by Caranthir Telemnar » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:32 pm

Zoltan with KC, huh? That would be interesting, but as you've said, him and Jonas are locked in, and seemingly telepathic. As far as Bruford and Squire and White, it took me a while to warm up to White,and he's had some stellar moments with Squire, but it's apples and oranges in terms of playing. For me personally, the interplay of Bruford and Squire is as good as it gets, but kudos to White for not attempting to simulate Bruford's style. Interestingly, in all the interviews I've seen with the Yes clan, they all seem to recall their collaboration with Bruford with a certain reverence. ( and Bruford recalls it with his singular wit!)
Amin n'rangwa edanea

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:03 pm

Yea-I still can't believe Bruford did the Union tour. He later regretted it and said He was nothing more than decoration. I disagree-He added alot to Awaken and HOTS and his duet with Levin was incredible from what I've heard-wish I could've seen it.

Caranthir Telemnar

Post by Caranthir Telemnar » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:19 pm

I enjoyed the Union show I have on disc, and I thought that given the amount of people on stage they did it quite well. Bruford, in particular with his experience of working with multi percussionists displayed the most poise and actually attempted to compliment everything they played. He was hysterical in the 'Yesyears' documentary that covered (in part) the Union tour. ( actually, so were Squire and Wakeman...I've watched that thing more times than I care to admit!)
Amin n'rangwa edanea

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:23 pm

Caranthir Telemnar wrote:I enjoyed the Union show I have on disc, and I thought that given the amount of people on stage they did it quite well. Bruford, in particular with his experience of working with multi percussionists displayed the most poise and actually attempted to compliment everything they played. He was hysterical in the 'Yesyears' documentary that covered (in part) the Union tour. ( actually, so were Squire and Wakeman...I've watched that thing more times than I care to admit!)
That is an awesome video-and yes He is a riot! I don't know which could do a better stand-up act, Him or Rick? I've seen Rick's solo show live, and He's hysterical. Bruford's wit is just so dry. Unfortunately, I think He looks on his Yes days as his weakest as a musician, which is incredible when you listen to what He was doing even on the fist two albums in 69-70,let alone YesAlbum-CTTE.

Caranthir Telemnar

Post by Caranthir Telemnar » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:01 am

It's hard to believe that he would feel that way, but I think he's being honest, because he's also complimentary and fond of some of the work, if a bit humble. ( Liking Siberian Khatru, but feeling that on 'CttE' they got "lucky") I get the impression that he thought the working process in Yes was too analytical, as they discuss each song almost note by note. Robert Fripp offered him some freedom in that regard, as evidenced by some of KC more free form noise fests. For me, the man is the king of the ghost note/roll...
Plus when he compared 'Starship Trooper' to 'Bonanza' and Westerns in general, I thought that was brilliant. Dry wit indeed!
BTW---we need more Cowbell! (sorry, but your avatar is great!)
Amin n'rangwa edanea

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:22 am

Caranthir Telemnar wrote: BTW---we need more Cowbell! (sorry, but your avatar is great!)
That's why I don't change it! The most hysterical moment EVER on SNL for me.Anyway, I was waiting for Matt on the CB on COA but it never came.Well, maybe next time!